Fun and a dash of colour

by Sunita on February 2, 2009

The kids were ecstatic when they woke up today…”Muuuum ! Daaaad! It’s all white outside!! Wooow!!” Dinesh and I let out a quiet moan under our breaths…both of us needed to be out and about. But kids will be kids and the snow outside did excite them quite a lot. For the last few years, it has hardly snowed that much in our parts; in fact it has been the coldest winter in 18 years And after snowing incessantly since yesterday, there was quite a good deal of it today.

But, the day broke and we all went our separate ways. My business in town was over at a much earlier time than I expected and I rushed home as fast as I could. All along the way, I saw plenty of children, returning from their schools, kicking  the snow, throwing snowballs at one another. I smiled and thought of my little ones. Not fair on them, I thought! So when I reached home, the three of us got down to business and Jasper/Snowy/ the snowman was ready with his frills!!

No carrot nose though, ran out of it, but so what, we did have so much fun, and I’m sure the kids will back me up :-D

It’s all white around here today, so let me add a dash of colour with today’s recipe of beet and mushroom rice.

It is just another of those  one pot recipes which can be rustled up easily, and is filling and wholesome as well. I quite love beet roots, and can have them in  a raw salad any day. The other three , however do not share my enthusiasm. But, I was quite pleased when the rice passed through their lips and into their bellies without as much as a moan. But, I must let you in on a little secret, the kids were not told that it had beets in it…they simply loved the colour and I nodded without complicating things. And when Agastya went for second helpings, I was still grinning. Have you ever done that? Not clarifying things too much, I mean?

3 beets, peeled and grated

1 onion, finely chopped

4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

2 C of sliced, close capped mushrooms

5-6 stringless beans, cut into 1 and 1/2 inch pieces

1/2 tsp turmeric powder

1 tsp cumin powder

1 tsp crushed red chillies ( more or less)

1 bay leaf

1 tblsp raisins

1/4 C cashew nuts

2 tblsp extra virgin olive oil

1/4 C of chopped spinach leaves + a very small bunch of chopped coriander

4 C of cooked and cooled rice ( I used basmati; leftovers work well)

salt to taste

1. Heat the oil in a pan and add all the ingredients, except the rice and spinach-coriander mixture, with a pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat till the onions and mushrooms soften and most of the moisture evaporates.
  2. Add the rice and stir well. Season with salt. Keep stirring till the rest of the moisture evaporates.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in the spinach-coriander mixture. Cover and let rest for a couple of minutes.
  4. Serve hot on it’s own or with a dollop of plain yogurt or raita.

We had ours with some plain low – fat yogurt…simple, steaming,

healthy  bowls of food. And yes, ”everyone” loved it…no moans here ;-)

1 Nags February 3, 2009 at 1:15 am

That is definitely a good dash of colour :) I love mixed rices!

2 Simran February 3, 2009 at 2:55 am

It’s a great idea. And so colorful too

3 Mona February 3, 2009 at 3:23 am

Sunita, it snows a lot at my place here, for 5 months minimum. I like it when it snows, and I like it when the streets and driveways are without the slippery-slushy-icy snow. Nonetheless, this powdery white beauty is a wonder of its kind, one of the most amazing and beautiful nature’s gifts. Glad you guys the change and had a good time.

4 Sunshinemom February 3, 2009 at 3:29 am

Pictures look so beautiful! Stunning, rather:).

5 musical February 3, 2009 at 4:11 am

Your pictures and words are so inviting! Just feel like digging into that bowl, now!

6 A&N February 3, 2009 at 4:23 am

Perfect for a snowy day. I love colourful food, and this tops my list!

7 Happy Cook February 3, 2009 at 7:44 am

Beautiful and delicious rice, i love the snowman, lookslike you all had lots of fun. Wehad snow but not so much like there.

8 Alka February 3, 2009 at 8:01 am

Lolz…Ur snowman reminded me of a funny incidence…when my hubby announced that he has to visit Us for an official visit and that it will be brrrrrrrring cold due to snow ,i was damn upset.Coz we never had lived in such an environment.While we were discussing about how he will manage in tht weather,our 6 yr old jumped with joy and said “papa it will be fun,come to think of it you can make a snow man there,which we can never make here in Mumbai”We couldnt help but laugh at his innocent words…
Coming to the colourful mushroom beet rice, it would only say…it looks so very puuuuuuuuurfect :-)

9 Priya February 3, 2009 at 9:24 am

Thats gorgeous…always am hooked with ur pictures…

10 Asha February 3, 2009 at 2:08 pm

At last! So much snow that so you could build a snow man. I bet kids loved it.
Today, they canceled the schools because of expected snow flurries!! It’s 48F, what snow are they talking about. I hate it when they waste a day of learning for silly reasons like this one today.

Beet Pulao looks gorgeous. Maya posted a beet rice today too. I have to make it sometime. Mushrooms sounds great in there. Enjoy it and the snow! :) )

11 Priya February 3, 2009 at 2:18 pm

That bowl of rice looks so colorful and comforting Sunita, can I come over ? I like beets too, but not a fan of the color that drains and stains everything while chopping them and canned beets really suck.
It has been a really cold and long winter for us too and they say its going to last another 6 weeks…and I crave a hearty, warm meal every day :P

12 Soma February 3, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Cute snowman:-) & a fit colorful food for a snowy day.

13 sra February 3, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Love the snowman and his bristly face – looks rather like a white polar bear! And no need to say anything about your dish or photos, good looking as they are!

14 Ivy February 3, 2009 at 5:58 pm

In Athens it only snows once every two or three years so we are thrilled like the children whenever it does. I bet the children had fan and the snowman looks beautiful. I also try not to tell my daughter about all the ingredients as just hearing about them she will not try it. Your dish sounds delicious and so colourful.

15 Rosie February 3, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Such vibrant colours and so pretty on a snowy day! Great snowman pic :D

16 ttfn300 February 4, 2009 at 12:52 am

oh, to be playing in the snow :) this looks incredible, beets are a new favorite of mine!!

17 Raaga February 4, 2009 at 6:47 am

everything looks pretty… th rice and the snowman :-)

18 Sangeetha February 4, 2009 at 6:49 am

Wonderful Color….I am goin to try it soon:)

19 suparna February 4, 2009 at 2:02 pm

gorgeous colours :) I love the idea of combining rice with other veggies.This one is surely a hit. Looks yummy and healthy too! Beets in rice is an unusual combi, thanks for the recipe. TC

20 jo February 4, 2009 at 2:38 pm

great recipe and lovely pictures. love the snowman as well.

21 sathya sankar February 4, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Lovely & very colourful dish. Snowman looks gorgeous too !

22 Mythili February 5, 2009 at 1:32 am

Phenomenal color! Beets are awesome that way :)

23 Sunita February 5, 2009 at 1:24 pm

All,

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments. We really enjoyed the meal.

The kids did have a lot of fun making the snowman…still standing proudly in our backyard, though it does look a bit worn down now :-D

24 Nicisme February 5, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Your snowman is brilliant!