Lemon and coconut cake

by Sunita on February 9, 2009

Weather wise, we’ve turned from snow to rain, and it has been drizzling incessantly since the morning. We were snowed down last week, but were lucky enough that life was not as disrupted in our parts of the UK as it was in others. The kids were a tad disappointed though, when they saw on the news, the mounds of snow that the kids were still having fun with in other parts of the country. Adults who had to go to work in our regions were quite pleased though. Interesting, how the priorities change as we grow older.

The following lemon and coconut cake

was made on a snowy evening last week to enjoy with friends. The white all round made me drizzle a little whiteness on top of the cake too :-) I had other ideas in mind and had planned on making a larger cake. So, with enough batter to spare, I made a few muffins and the kids had fun icing and decorating the top.

The following measurements yielded one 8 inch round cake and 7 muffins.

5 eggs
1 and 1/4 C whole wheat flour (atta)
2 tsp baking powder
4 tblsp of dessicated coconut
grated rind of 1 lemon
5 tblsp of lemon juice
4 tblsp + 4 tblsp of chopped cashew nuts
1 C vegetable/sunflower oil
3/4 C sugar ( I used organic raw cane sugar)

For the icing-
icing sugar + a  tblsp of lemon juice and a little warm milk mixed together to free flowing consistency, but not too watery.
a little dessicated coconut to sprinkle on top

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C. Line an 8 inch round pan with foil and grease.
    2. Beat together the eggs, oil, lemon juice and sugar till pale and fluffy.
    3. In another bowl, sieve together the flour and baking powder. Mix in 4 tblsp of the chopped cashews, 4 tblsp dessicated coconut and the lemon zest.
    4. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, a few tblsp at a time, and fold in, preferably with a rubber spatula.
    5. Pour the mixture to fill 3/4 of the prepared pan. Sprinkle 2 tblsp of chopped cashews from the remaining 4 tblsps , on top.
    6. Place the pan in the lower rack of the pre heated oven and bake for about 18 minutes or till nicely browned.
    7. Transfer the pan to the middle rack, and cover the pan with foil ( to prevent over browning). Bake for another 20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted through the centre  of the cake comes out clean.
    8. To make muffins, do the same as for the cake ( fill muffin liners 3/4 of the way and bake as for the cake. The timings will vary…watch till the top turns brown and move to the middle rack. Sorry for being unable to provide accurate timings for the muffins.)
    9. Cool the cake /muffins in the pan for a couple of minutes and then carefully transfer to a rack. Peel off the foil When the cake/muffins is/are still warm, drizzle the top with the icing ( Place the icing in a plastic packet, snip off one end and drizzle). Remember to place a tray below the rack to catch the drippings. Sprinkle the coconut before the icing sets. For the cupcakes, it was little chocolate sprinkles.

The cake was very moist and light, and was enjoyed by all.

The kids had fun too and iced the muffins to their hearts’ content :-)

1 Asha February 9, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Gorgeous! Lemon and coconut. Slurp!! i would gobble a piece or two without any icing! :D

2 Sunita February 9, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Thanks Asha…hope you had a great weekend :-)

3 Siri February 10, 2009 at 12:58 am

Hi..Can u let me know the amount of baking powder used in this recipe..will let you know once I try it out..looks delicious..
Siri

4 Sunita February 10, 2009 at 7:33 am

oops! sorry about that…have updated the recipe. thanks for pointing it out :-)

5 rachel February 10, 2009 at 3:27 am

Love the citrusy flavour.. and the drizzle makes it all the more beautiful.

6 Sunita February 10, 2009 at 7:33 am

Thanks Rachel :-)

7 Lakshmi February 10, 2009 at 7:51 am

Delicious looking cake Sunitha..good one!

8 Sunita February 10, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Thanks Lakshmi :-)

9 Purnima February 10, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Wonderful, as usual Sunita! Atta+oil – cake? Splendid! Whats not to love..shall bake it tom n leave fb. :D Tks for sharing..first time saw a technique which involves partial lower rack baking ..too good! Hope it turns out good..shall b skipping icing..not good at it! :D

10 Sunita February 10, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Thanks Purnima. I usually avoid all purpose flour. Regarding using the lower rack, this cake tends to brown easily on the top, leaving the insides uncooked. Baking in the lower rack allows the cake to bake The bottom part and then transfering to the middle rack does the rest. Do give it a try, hope you like it as much as we did :-)

11 Soma February 10, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Love the refreshing flavors! & your pictures i just adore:-)

12 Sunita February 10, 2009 at 5:08 pm

13 Alka February 10, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Marvellous…….No more words to describe this,i m speechless :-)

14 bee February 10, 2009 at 6:36 pm

i love the two flavours. will try this soon.

15 snooky doodle February 10, 2009 at 7:35 pm

this cake looks delicious. so moist and yummy. I like how your kids decorated the cupcakes . yummy :)

16 maria February 10, 2009 at 7:37 pm

I love lemon cakes and this one looks so yummy n moist!! Will try it sometime soon :)

17 maninas February 11, 2009 at 10:56 pm

This looks lovely, Sunita.

18 Lakshmi February 19, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Sunita..cake looks delicious! Will try it very soon. Btw, what is rind of a lemon? Is it the lemon skin?

19 Sunita March 7, 2009 at 10:45 pm

It’s the yellow part of the peel (also called zest), and not the white spongy part (this is bitter).

20 Purnima February 22, 2009 at 7:58 am

Sunita..this was WONDERFUL n MOIST n for me, didnt need the 20min middle rack baking at all as I used a 12 x 5″ tray for this! Kids loved it, hub n me so did my dear neighbours who didn’t spend any time in tearing off the foil n finishing it off to the last pc..the taste is truly wonderful! Can’t make out its an ATTA cake! Tks so much for sharing your recipe (I did make this on 11th but was unable to post comment as wordpress was not reflecting the page too! ) Asha is next ‘ON’ this recipe! Shall be posting this yum on my blog soon!

21 Sunita February 24, 2009 at 12:10 pm

You’re most welcome Purnima, glad everyone enjoyed the cake :-)

22 Shilpi July 30, 2009 at 10:39 am

Planning to bake this wonderful cake of yours soon…but can it be made eggless? What would be the substitute of 5 eggs that you’ve used here??? Thanks in advance….

23 Sunita July 30, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Hi shilpi, there are various substitutes for eggs. Though I haven’t substituted for eggs in this cake, you could try using one ripe banana (mashed) for each egg ( the cake, will, of course, vary in taste) . You could also mix together 1 tbsp ground flax seeds with 3 tbsp water for each egg. Hope this helps :-)

24 renny December 10, 2009 at 7:28 am

hi…as u said we can replace the egg with flax seeds but i have read that u cant replace more then 3 eggs in a cake …so please if can give me a eggless version of the same cake

25 Lakshmi January 9, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Sunita, I just finished baking this cake and its come out truly awesome. Yummmmm.

26 Nilufer April 21, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Hi..

Cake looks yummy..can veg oil be substituted with butter??is yes, how much of butter can be used??my oven is pretty small, so i will have to bake in batches..would the baking time change if its baked in batches???

27 Aramita July 13, 2010 at 6:32 am

I have been following your website for a long time but never left any comments…..I love your recipes nd even more I like to come bac to this site bcoz I love your way of writing, putting in pictures and most importantly bringing in personal touches to everything…

Ok now for this lemon and coconut cake can i use hlf portion aata and hlf portion maida instead of full aata or full maida?? will be looking forward to your reply..

28 Sunita July 13, 2010 at 7:05 am

Thanks Aramita, glad you like this space. Do drop by and say hello now and then :-)

As for the cake, you can use a mix of the flours.

29 Aramita July 23, 2010 at 3:46 am

Hey Sunita Ba….
I made this cake today nd it turned out delicious..thnks for lovely recipes..

I would be really glad if you could tell me how to make those tasty britannia goodday cakes we find in India…will be looking forward for the recipe..

30 Sunita July 23, 2010 at 11:10 am

Aramita, glad that you tried the cake and liked it. As for your request, I have never eaten them and have no idea as to their taste ;-)

31 sangeetha October 23, 2010 at 1:03 pm

hi

the lemon and coconut cake came out very well. not to sweet. just correct.

thank you so much for posting.

great blog u have here. hope to try more of ur recipes soon.

luv
sangeetha

32 Garima August 18, 2011 at 10:07 am

Hie!

I tried this cake of yours, but could not find where are u using the 4 Tblsp of decissated coconut in the cake..Is it only in the topping.??

33 Sunita August 18, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Sorry Garima, that was a typo, I have updated the post now. The 4tblsp of coconut needs to be mixed in with the flour, and a little extra is neededfor sprinkling on top. Thanks for pointing it out.