Penne pasta with poached salmon and broccoli…

by Sunita on July 23, 2007

Many a time , I have referred to the fact about us being great lovers of fish. My freezer is rarely devoid of any…we have it at least 5-6 times a week! Now that should be a sizable amount of fish in our daily diet. A plate of rice served with a simple soupy fish curry is basically our kind of comfort food.

When we came over to the UK, the variety of fish that we were used to underwent a radical change, but we still nurtured our love for fish through the ones that were freshly available…and that’s when mackeral, salmon, trout, sea bass etc. made their foray into our lives.

Out of all the varieties that were on offer, it was salmon that truly captured our hearts. The pink coloured ,fleshy fish with it’s own sophisticated flavour was truly loved by all four of us…in fact, the kids usually ask, a bit hopefully, if they were going to be served salmon for their meal and are overjoyed whenever that is so. I really love the texture of salmon, which oozes its own subtleness and does not need to be over dressed.

On the health benefits side, salmon is considered to be reasonably healthy due to its high protein and low fat levels and to its high Omega 3 fatty acids content.(wiki)

With so much going for it both in the health and taste department, there is no wonder that salmon occupies this special place in our diet. What is about to follow is a recipe of penne pasta with poached salmon and broccoli…a very simple yet filling dish, which preserves the flavours of the fish and was very easy to assemble as well. So here goes…

250 gms of penne pasta, cooked according to packet instructions
3-4 salmon fillets, poached in salty water till done
3-4 tblsp of olive oil
2-3 pods of garlic,finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1-2 c of small broccoli florets
1-2 tblsp of dried oregano
2 C of milk
2 tblsp of cream
salt and pepper to taste
100 gms of cheddar cheese, finely grated

Remove the salmon from the water, roughly crumble and keep aside.

Heat the oil in a pan. add the onion, garlic and broccoli and stir fry over medium flame for 5-6 minutes or till the broccoli is a bit tender and the onions are translucent.

Add the milk, cream and oregano and cook for a few seconds.

As the creamy milk begins to show signs of thickening, add the fish, season with salt and pepper and cook for a few more seconds.

Add the pasta and toss well for approximately 30 seconds.

Remove from heat and transfer to individual bowls/plates.

Sprinkle some of the grated cheese over each and serve immediately.
We really loved this subtle dish, and every mouthful was a pleasure. And ,since we really enjoyed this dish, I’m sending it over to Ruth as an entry for presto pasta nights.

1 Ruth Daniels July 23, 2007 at 11:45 am

I’m with you – salmon is my favorite fish. It’s so versatile and so delicious. Thanks for sharing this recipe with Presto Pasta Nights.

Don’t forget to check back for the roundup on Friday.

2 sunita July 23, 2007 at 12:41 pm

Ruth,it is indeed versatile…we simply adore it…will definitely check the round up…

3 Asha July 23, 2007 at 12:46 pm

I love the color of Salmon in any dish.Looks so yum!:))

4 sra July 23, 2007 at 1:12 pm

The salmon I’ve had here has a very strong smell, and they claim it’s from Norway!

5 sunita July 23, 2007 at 1:32 pm

Asha,it does have a lovely colour indeed :)

6 Saju July 23, 2007 at 1:32 pm

Great dish, I too love salmon and often make it with pasta.

7 sunita July 23, 2007 at 1:34 pm

Sra, many people find the smell of salmon too strong, but I guess, once it’s cooked, there’s hardly any…

8 sunita July 23, 2007 at 1:53 pm

Saju,thanks and welcome to my world…salmon does taste good, doesn’t it…nice to have you over :)

9 Deborah July 23, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Salmon is probably my favorite fish. I’m like you – my freezer is always full of fish (although I don’t eat it quite as often as you.) This looks like a wonderful dish to make with salmon!

10 sunita July 23, 2007 at 4:03 pm

Deborah,it did taste nice, and yes, we’re quite a fishy family ;P…glad you came :)

11 Sharmi July 23, 2007 at 4:10 pm

I love the idea of adding milk and cream. would make it rich!!

12 sunita July 23, 2007 at 4:26 pm

Sharmi, the proportion of the milk and the cream in ratio to the pasta was not that much…it gave a light creamy feel and a subtle flavour :)

13 Mishmash ! July 23, 2007 at 5:51 pm

Sunita, we share the love for fish :) my freezer also has a good quantity of fish all the time and both of us are happy if we have a fish curry with some veggie stir-fry..thats our comfort food :) Though I ‘m not a salmon lover (mainly coz of its strong smell) I liked your recipe for pasta :)
Are the kids all excited about their b’day party preps ?
Shn

14 sunita July 23, 2007 at 6:47 pm

Shn, so you too love fish :) …the curry and the stir fry is very good for us as well…

As for the kids, counting down the days is exactly what they do without fail everyday:)…their vacations are on in full swing.

15 Roopa July 24, 2007 at 1:45 am

the pasta masala looks delicious..

16 Sig July 24, 2007 at 5:02 am

Sunita, :) I love the fact that you love fish so much, so many wonderful fish recipes…. Pasta with salmon is such a great idea, and it looks great.. Seattle is famous for our salmon, so we get all kind of varieties fresh and it is my favorite fish too…

17 sunita July 24, 2007 at 9:00 am

Roopa, thanks and it’s really nice to have you over…

18 sunita July 24, 2007 at 9:02 am

Sig, you too are a fish lover, aren’t you?…as for salmon, we really love it a lot…as we love both salmon and pasta, having the two together was not a problem at all…and the dish did have a subtleness :)

19 Sukanya Ramkumar July 24, 2007 at 2:24 pm

This sounds nice…Nice looking dish…Love the little specks of salmon in ur pasta….

20 sunita July 24, 2007 at 4:53 pm

Sukanya, it did taste nice as well..as for the salmon, we really do adore it…nice to have you over:)

21 Katerina July 27, 2007 at 4:57 pm

Looks great, we must have been on the same brainwave this week cause my pasta is with salmon too. Yours has a much nicer picture though.

22 katiez July 28, 2007 at 7:34 pm

I love salmon, and a good thing as it’s the only fish mon mari will eat…willingly, anyway.
Great pasta dish…added to my collection!

23 sunita August 4, 2007 at 9:35 am

Katerina,great minds think alike…thanks and nice to have you drop by.

24 sunita August 4, 2007 at 9:36 am

tatiez, we adore salmon too..glad you liked the recipe…do give it a try.

25 Teri June 22, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Will you share a recipe for salmon curry?