Summer in the UK has not been that much of a summer till only a few days back. Since then, we’ve been blessed with some exceptionally gorgeous weather for the last few days. With the kids in the house, that’s really a boon, which means that the outdoors can remain outdoors and they can prance around in the garden and be out and about as much as they want.
When I come to think of it, the kids have already completed two weeks from their six weeks holiday. The time has really flown by… It seems as if all the kids were born during this month…since their holidays started, I’ve been literally escorting to them to some birthday party or another every weekend…sometimes both Agastya and Rengoni have to be taken to their own friend’s parties on the same day…with so many to attend to, I wonder if they’ll still be as eager when it’s time to celebrate their’s. With all their social engagements, sometimes it does make me feel more like their secretary, making and taking calls for them, organising everything, escorting them to and fro…ah! well!
Now, with the temperatures soaring, the need for something cool is soaring as well…enter the cool drinks, yogurts, ice-creams…talking of ice-creams, I made this yogurty vanilla ice-cream topped with a chocolate sauce and pistachios…very simple to make and good to taste. So without more ado, here’s how I went about making it…
4 C plain yogurt
1 and 1/2 sachets of gelatin ( approximately 15 gms)
8 tblsp of hot water
4-5 tblsp of honey
2 tsp vanilla essence
For the topping-
50 gms of plain chocolate
2-3 tblsp of milk
a handful of chopped pistachio nuts
- Whisk the yogurt and honey together in a bowl.
- Dissolve the gelatin in the water thoroughly.
- Pour the gelatin mixture into the yogurt mixture along with the vanilla and whisk again.
- Freeze the mixture, covered, for an hour.
- take it out of the freezer and pass it through a blender.
- Return the mixture to the freezer, and repeat the process for another couple of times.
- Finally freeze till completely set.
- Melt the chocolate and mix in the milk.
- Drizzle spoonfuls of the sauce over scoops of the ice- cream.
- Top with some of the chopped pistachio nuts.
- Serve immediately.
It was a nice simple ice-cream, the chocolate sauce and the nuts, enhancing the plain flavour of the ice -cream. The only down side to this wonderful cooler was that it’s transfer from the freezer to the mouth had to be really quick… or else it tended to become a little slushy…but we did not worry that much as the transfer was quick anyway!!