There are days when I just don’t feel like bringing myself up to cook anything…but at the very next moment, I realise that it is indeed wishful thinking. There are three other hungry bellies around waiting to be pacified. At such times I can’t help but ponder whether my stand of reigning supreme in the kitchen is doing any wonders at all. I mean, my other half doesn’t mind helping out… in fact he quite enjoys stints in cooking…if only I’d let him
It was on one such evening, when wishing for a swish of a magic wand to rustle up a meal was not fulfilled, that I wearily stepped into the kitchen. The kids had been running around for quite a while and were absolutely famished…which meant that something filling was needed. All that I had were a few eggs and little bits of vegetables. I had been meaning to clean out the refrigerator for quite some time, and thus thought this was the moment to use up all those bits of vegetables. As I was in no mood to slog for a long time, I prepared this very mild egg and vegetable curry…more like a stew. With some spinach rotis and a nice fresh salad thrown in, it did make for a nice simple dinner indeed. The eggs made the dish more wholesome, and no one had anything to complain…
4 eggs, boiled and shelled
4-5 small potatoes,chopped, washed, boiled and peeled
1 C of french beans and carrots, cut into sticks
1 onion, sliced
2-3 pods of garlic, chopped
1 tomato, sliced
1/2 green pepper, deseeded and sliced
1/2 tsp each of turmeric( and a pinch extra) , cumin and garam masala powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
1 whole red chilli
a pinch of sugar
salt to taste
2 tblsp oil
- Place the beans and carrot in a microwavable bowl with 1 tblsp of water and microwave, covered lightly for 3 minutes.
- Heat 2 tblsp of oil in a pan.
- Make light slits lengthwise on the eggs and rub in the pinch of turmeric powder and season with salt.
- Fry the eggs till they are nicely browned and keep aside.
- In the same oil, add the cumin seeds, whole red chili and bay leaf.
- When the seeds splutter, add the onion, garlic and tomato along with a pinch of sugar and salt and cook covered over low heat till mushy.
- Add turmeric and cumin powders and mix well.
- Add the potatoes,peppers, beans and carrots and stir for a couple of minutes .
- Add 1 and a 1/2 glasses of water, season with salt and bring it to a boil.
- Add the eggs and garam masala powder and simme over medium heat for for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with rice or rotis.
Our meal with this light soupy curry along with spinach rotis and fresh salad went down really well. The gravy was really light…if a thicker version is required, add a little less water and just mash a few pieces of potatoes while cooking… also, simmer a little longer to thicken the gravy. Although I said light, on the whole it was quite a filling meal…but the flavours were indeed light.