It seemed just like yesterday that I had announced the the theme for ‘Think Spice..’ The last few days, I’ve been constantly reminding fellow bloggers through my side bar, to hurry up and send me their entries. The days came and went, I counted down the days and here it is…the last day for the entries…and guess what, I panic….for I had not even posted mine! That’s what happens to procrastinators!!
Without more ado, here’s the recipe of the day…its a basic herby pizza crust topped with a mustardy- tomato sauce and a generous helping of cheese. Plain cheesy and tomato pizza is one of my kids’ favourites and they have been craving it for a while now… Usually,when I make the sauce , I make sure to sneak in a few veggies and it works just fine. This time, to keep serve the purpose of the theme, I added some roasted and crushed mustard seeds to the sauce and it worked wonders. Biting into the cheese and reaching the sauce, of which too, I added a generous amount, the flavour was really nice. Personally,I would have loved to add more crushed mustard to make it more pungent… but I was not too sure that the kids would have taken to to it, hence did not take the chance.
Every time I handle yeast, I have this sense of apprehension… but the crust did not disappoint and had a very mild, taste left by the herbs (oregano). All in all, it was a nice and simple pizza dinner. Apart from the resting period for the dough, it does not take too much time to prepare this pizza. So here’s my entry for…
For the crust-
3 C of plain flour+ 1 C of wholemeal flour (or 4 C each of plain or wholemeal flour)
1 and 1/2 tsp dried yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1 and 1/2 tblsp salt
4 tblsp olive oil
1 glass warm water
For the sauce-(apart from the onions, garlic and tomatoes, add the rest of the vegetables at your own discretion)
3 handfuls of mustard seeds
7-8 tomatoes, sliced
1 carrot, cut into sticks
1 onion, sliced
3-4 pods of garlic, sliced
1/2 green pepper, deseeded and sliced
1 tblsp oregano
1 tblsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
for the topping-
200gms of mozzarella cheese, crumbled
How to- The crust…
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in 3-4 tbsp of the water and let it stand for 10 minutes in a preferably warm place. It should triple in volume.
- Add the salt to the flour and mix well.
- Rub in the oil.
- Add the yeast and the rest of the water and knead till a smooth dough is formed.
- Cover the dough with a clean cloth and let it sit for an hour.
1.Heat a pan and add the mustard seeds. When they just start to pop, transfer them to a mortar or grinder and roughly grind them. Keep aside.
2. Heat the oil in a pan.
3. Add the onions, garlic, carrots and green pepper and stir for a minute.
4. Add the tomatoes, oregano, season with salt and pepper, stir well and cook covered over low heat till the tomatoes are mushy and it’s not too watery.
5. Pass the tomato mixture through a blender and cool aside.
Assembling the pizza-
- Pre heat the oven at 180 deg cel.
- Press the dough and knead it for a few seconds.
- Divide the dough into three parts and roll each one of them to discs of 8 inches.
- Prick all over lightly with a fork.
- Spread spoonfuls of the sauce over the base ( I added quite generous helpings), leaving a little space all round the edges.
- Top with another generous helping of the crumbled cheese and bake in the centre of the pre heated oven till the cheese melts and is nicely browned (approximately 15-20 minutes)
- Cut into wedges and serve immediately.