Sometimes, subtleness and simplicity is what captures one’s heart… Everything doesn’t need to be all flashy. Overdressing something with an inherent beauty, somehow shrouds that charm.
I must have mentioned innumerable times about our love of fish. Salmon is on the top of the list of favourites. We simply adore it. The lovely pink flesh with it’s own subtle flavour is something very desirable indeed. On a day to day basis, I usually make light curries with the minimum of spices so that it can retain much of it’s flavour.
The other day, Dinesh bought some gorgeous looking salmon fillets, fit to be worshipped. Well, I did do that indeed, for some time, lovingly carressing them, thinking what special dish could be made out of them. You might think it’s silly…it’s just some fish which is also a regular in our household… something which I’m used to handling with ease. But then, these fillets were really beautiful…their shape, their texture…they were something one would like to give a special treatment to. By special treatment, I don’t mean that one has to dress it up too much. I wanted to keep it simple so that we could appreciate the wonderful textures…Several things went on in my mind. I then decided to add a few herbs, season and then pan fry them. I served them on a bed of light couscous salad and we did have a lovely meal indeed. The fish, not covered in a whole lot of ingredients, was really delightful… The fillets were quite large portions, hence the light salad complemented it well and it was filling at the same time. The best bit was that the entire meal was ready in minutes. So here goes…pan fried salmon with herbs on a bed of couscous salad…
4-6 pieces of salmon fillets
1 tblsp of oil and a some more for frying
1 tblsp each of dried rosemary and thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan for frying the fish ( not too much, we are not deep frying).
- Rub the fillet with the rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper and the 1 tblsp of oil.
- Place them on the well heated pan , skin side down, and fry for a few minutes over medium heat till crispy.
- Turn over and cook on the other side for a couple of minutes till nicely browned( take care not to over handle the fish, for salmon tends to crumble very quickly).
- Serve immediately on a bed of salad. (We had our’s with a couscous salad…small cubes of carrot and cucumber with small strips of lettuce, chopped coriander, mixed with prepared couscous and seasoned with salt and freshly ground pepper and with a squeeze of lemon… but any other fresh salad will go well ).
We did love the meal very much, savouring the delightful fish and appreciating it’s lovely texture and subtle flavour. Simplicity does pay, don’t you think…