Simplicity pays…

by Sunita on October 9, 2007

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sometimes, subtleness and simplicity is what captures one’s heart… Everything doesn’t need to be all flashy. Overdressing something with an inherent beauty, somehow shrouds that charm.

I must have mentioned innumerable times about our love of fish. Salmon is on the top of the list of favourites. We simply adore it. The lovely pink flesh with it’s own subtle flavour is something very desirable indeed. On a day to day basis, I usually make light curries with the minimum of spices so that it can retain much of it’s flavour.

The other day, Dinesh bought some gorgeous looking salmon fillets, fit to be worshipped. Well, I did do that indeed, for some time, lovingly carressing them, thinking what special dish could be made out of them. You might think it’s silly…it’s just some fish which is also a regular in our household… something which I’m used to handling with ease. But then, these fillets were really beautiful…their shape, their texture…they were something one would like to give a special treatment to. By special treatment, I don’t mean that one has to dress it up too much. I wanted to keep it simple so that we could appreciate the wonderful textures…Several things went on in my mind. I then decided to add a few herbs, season and then pan fry them. I served them on a bed of light couscous salad and we did have a lovely meal indeed. The fish, not covered in a whole lot of ingredients, was really delightful… The fillets were quite large portions, hence the light salad complemented it well and it was filling at the same time. The best bit was that the entire meal was ready in minutes. So here goes…pan fried salmon with herbs on a bed of couscous salad…

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

4-6 pieces of salmon fillets
1 tblsp of oil and a some more for frying
1 tblsp each of dried rosemary and thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Heat the oil in a pan for frying the fish ( not too much, we are not deep frying).
  2. Rub the fillet with the rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper and the 1 tblsp of oil.
  3. Place them on the well heated pan , skin side down, and fry for a few minutes over medium heat till crispy.
  4. Turn over and cook on the other side for a couple of minutes till nicely browned( take care not to over handle the fish, for salmon tends to crumble very quickly).
  5. Serve immediately on a bed of salad. (We had our’s with a couscous salad…small cubes of carrot and cucumber with small strips of lettuce, chopped coriander, mixed with prepared couscous and seasoned with salt and freshly ground pepper and with a squeeze of lemon… but any other fresh salad will go well ).
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

We did love the meal very much, savouring the delightful fish and appreciating it’s lovely texture and subtle flavour. Simplicity does pay, don’t you think…

1 Toffeeapple October 9, 2007 at 11:45 am

Was that salmon the Wild Alaskan type or just the usual farmed kind?

2 Sirisha Kilambi October 9, 2007 at 12:14 pm

Hey Sunita…..Nice presentation dear……Looks really nice….I however don’t eat non-veg…Wish that cud have been a veg so that I cud grab it out and eat :-)

3 sunita October 9, 2007 at 12:15 pm

toffeeapple, it was the farmed kind…nice to have you over.

4 sunita October 9, 2007 at 12:16 pm

sirisha, thanks…sorry for it not being veg.

5 Asha October 9, 2007 at 12:40 pm

Saffron on Pink Salmon!! That is gorgeous!! We love Salmon, not fond of any other kind of fish though!:))

6 sunita October 9, 2007 at 1:08 pm

Asha, thanks…btw, did you mean saffron as in ‘the spice’, because I didn’t put any !!!

7 sra October 9, 2007 at 1:27 pm

Sunita, that looks gorgeous!

8 sunita October 9, 2007 at 1:46 pm

sra, thanks…we did love it indeed.

9 Mishmash ! October 9, 2007 at 2:55 pm

Sunita, the pic is so beautiful, and yes sometime, some simple marinades make all the difference. How was the anniv celebs?

Shn

10 PASSIONATE BAKER....and beyond. October 9, 2007 at 3:05 pm

Hi Sunita…the pictures are truly enticing. The beauty and simplicity are breathtaking. Am non-veg, but have never made good fish, so am always a bit hesitant. Do you think this one is kid friendly?? Thanks…great post!

11 Padma October 9, 2007 at 3:10 pm

Sunita, did I tell you before that how much i love ur pictures, simply awesome. I love Salmon steaks and urs look perfectly done!

12 sunita October 9, 2007 at 3:44 pm

Shn, thanks…yes simple is the best…as for the anniv, well,as always, we spent a leisurely day at home among ourselves…the kids were not that amused though, for they are still at that stage where they feel that every special occasion ought to be celebrated with lots of noise and pomp :)

13 sunita October 9, 2007 at 3:50 pm

passionate baker…and beyond,thanks for dropping by.I think salmon itself is a kid friendly fish. Apart from it’s great health benefits, the colour and texture are also really nice…my kids love them. As for the recipe, it has a very simple flavour, and should appeal (hopefully !!)…my ones did.

14 Happy cook October 9, 2007 at 3:53 pm

It looks delicious. I love salmon actuall all of us in the family loves it. I have never served it with couscous should try that.
The colour of your salmon is just beautiful

15 musical October 9, 2007 at 4:26 pm

How gorgeous! I agree that sometime simplicity is so rewarding! Look at these pictures, such winners they are!

16 sunita October 9, 2007 at 4:36 pm

padma, thanks…glad to know you are a salmon lover too.

17 sunita October 9, 2007 at 4:40 pm

happy cook, thanks..we too are great lovers of salmon…such a great tasting fish, isn’t it.

18 sunita October 9, 2007 at 4:42 pm

musical, thanks…glad you like the pics…I’m just a novice, after all.

19 Sandeepa October 9, 2007 at 4:58 pm

looks nicely fried. I almost always bake or grill salmon. shall try frying too.
BTW do you make salmon with mustard ? It tastes great, and the Oriya way with little garlic in mustard goes super with salmon

20 sunita October 9, 2007 at 5:12 pm

sandeepa, on a day to day basis, it’s a patla jhol…now and then, it’s grilled.I have tried it with mustard indeed and love it…haven’t tried the Oriya way though.

21 remya October 10, 2007 at 12:26 am

lovely salmon….simply perfect

22 Nabeela October 10, 2007 at 8:28 am

I love salmon….and fried it once with disastrous results. I think I fried it for a little too long…the fish came out so fard….not at all moist and flaky. Must try frying it again soon.

23 sunita October 10, 2007 at 8:41 am

remya, thanks..we did love it a lot.

24 sunita October 10, 2007 at 8:44 am

nabeela,glad to know you share the love for salmon…as for the frying, the oil should be really hot and the heat while frying should not be low. And yes, it takes just a couple of minutes to do so.

25 maninas: food matters October 10, 2007 at 3:45 pm

Sunita, your photos are very beautiful today! Honestly!

Also, I understand your feelings about the beautiful salmon. :)

26 sunita October 10, 2007 at 5:20 pm

maninas:food matters, thanks and welcome to my world…salmon is indeed a delightful fish, isn’t it:)