Cuminy nibbles…

by Sunita on October 13, 2007

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Cumin has already been celebrated with pomp in my blog. In fact it was the spice that I chose to kick start my monthly event and so many of you came up with wonderful contributions to support a novice event hostess . But then it is also a spice that I , like so many of my dear fellow bloggers use regularly during our culinary concoctions. My spice rack is hardly bereft of cumin in both their whole and powdered forms. The seeds popping in the hot oil and exuding a heady aroma, the powder sprinkled lovingly over so many vegetarian and fish and meat dishes…are indeed a delight.

This time , in my kitchen, a handful of cumin have found their way into some liitle cookies. Freshly roasted and coarsely grounded, they were added to spice up these little , thin cookies. Well, they are actually quite thin and crispy…something that can be popped into the mouth at ease….and of course with that distinct cuminy flavour. They also have a very light feel to it.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2C plain flour
2 tblsp cumin seeds, lightly roasted and coarsely ground
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
5-6 tblsp oil
1/2 c of milk

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg cel.
  2. Line and grease a baking tray.
  3. In a mixing bowl, place the flour, baking soda, cumin, sugar and salt and mix well.
  4. Add the oil and rub it into the flour mixture.
  5. Add the milk and bring everything together till the dough does not stick to the hand. But do not over knead, or they will turn out really hard.
  6. Transfer the dough to the rolling board and roll out to about 2 mms thick.
  7. With a 2inch round cookie cutter, cut out circles and arrange on the prepared baking tray. I made around 50 of them. Of course, it will not be possible to cut out so many at one go. Just bring together the scrapings after cutting out the first batch, roll out again and repeat the process till the entire dough has been used up.
  8. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or till the top browns lightly.
  9. Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer them to a cooling rack. Cool completely before storing them in air tight containers.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Of course, you’re allowed to savour a few, fresh from the oven, before they make their way into the tin :-)

1 sunita October 15, 2007 at 5:24 pm

deepa, thanks…glad you like it.

2 Annemarie October 15, 2007 at 9:31 pm

I love the idea of cumin in here. We’re big cumin fans in my home, so I’ll put this on the list for the weekend!

3 sunita October 15, 2007 at 10:03 pm

annemarie, thanks… cumin is indeed a wonderful spice, isn’t it…do give these a try.

4 Nabeela October 17, 2007 at 4:47 am

I love it when Indian traditional flavors mingle with western ingredients. The resulting recipe is always sure to please!

5 sunita October 17, 2007 at 9:21 am

nabeela, that’s so nicely put..thanks for dropping by.

6 Sirisha Kilambi October 17, 2007 at 12:57 pm

Sunita….The cookies look so good…..they look like Monaco salt biscuits….infact urs are nicer than them :-)

7 sunita October 17, 2007 at 3:16 pm

sirisha, thanks…size wise, they are quite similar indeed.

8 Madhuram March 21, 2008 at 3:13 am

I baked these cookies and they came out very well. I added a little bit pepper powder to spice it up. I have also added this to my list of eggless baking recipes in my blog. I have just given the link to your site for the recipe and posted my pictures.

9 Bhawana August 26, 2008 at 2:24 pm

hi sunita, this looks perfect. m thinking of trying them. tell me how did u cut them into round shape?? urs cookies shape is just perfect.

10 Pearlsofeast September 12, 2008 at 6:50 am

Sunita,I just baked a batch of these cookies and they came out very well.Planning to make one more lot.Great recipe and thanks sharing.

11 ann December 5, 2008 at 9:05 pm

Hello Sunita

I made them , but found the taste of cumin very overpowering.
I think for my taste , i need to reduce the amount of cumin a bit.
Otherwise , its pretty good !

Hi Ann, the cookies met with our approval, but, of course, tastes do differ…so, do feel free to reduce the dose of cumin per your taste :-)

12 Dev December 15, 2008 at 8:55 am

Hi Sunitha,tried these cookies today & liked it a lot… thanks a lot for the recipe

You’re most welcome…glad you liked the cookies :-)

13 Nrithika April 4, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Hi Sunitha

This is the 3rd time i am baking . Cumin cookies caught my attention immediately cos i dont like sweet very much and i thought this was a cookie meant for me :) and it is really simple too. I tried it out immediately and it came out really good. Yummy

14 sidda May 4, 2009 at 3:27 am

wow I am enjoying as i am going through these fabulous recipes thanks and i am going to try some of these like which can be made without eggs
thanks sunitha

15 Champa May 27, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I made these today and they came out very good. I used 1 cup all purpose flour (maida) and 1 cup whole wheat flour. Added a tsp of pepper powder. Apart from that, followed the recipe. You could make this with ajwain seeds too. Ajwain macaroon kind of biscuits are sold in B’re bakeries. But, use just 1 tbps for 2 cups of flour. Otherwise it’ll be too much flavor.

16 Ashwini December 21, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I tried these cookies, it was really crispy and good. the cumin flavour was overpowering.. may be next time i should reduce it. I also thought of adding onions.. just to try.. I will let you know the feedback…

17 Sharmilee January 10, 2010 at 11:58 am

I triedthese cumin cookies with 1/2 cup maida and 1/2 with atta still they turned out pretty gud! we all liked it, Thanks for such a simple and tasty recipe!

18 Lavanya January 15, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Hi Sunitha, I am new to baking and found this recipe really good..Made some cookies last weekend and they turned out reallly tasty..cant wait to try the other cookie recipes..Thanks a ton :-)

19 Sharmilee January 24, 2010 at 12:29 pm
20 Aparna June 22, 2010 at 8:10 am

You have a great collection of recipes. I came across this page when I was searching fr a healthy cookie recipe for my toddler who just loves biscuits. Can I replace plain flour with whole wheat flour for this recipe?

21 Sunita June 22, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Aparna, welcome to my space. Regarding the replacement, you can use whole wheat flour, just use it less than the given amout of plain flour.

22 Aparna June 22, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Thanks. Will do so.

23 Aparna July 2, 2010 at 5:44 am

I tried this recipe twice. Once with whole wheat and another time with APF. The whole wheat made the cookies dense. But I loved the original recipe. The jeera biscuits turned out great! Thanks!

24 meme July 5, 2010 at 6:45 am

hi sunitha
how r u??love this recipe but when do we add the cumins..plz metion and dry roasted n slightly crushed??thanks

25 Sunita July 5, 2010 at 8:48 am

I’m fine , thanks. Sorry about the slip, I have updated the recipe :-)

26 rekha July 30, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I made these today and all of us liked it, I reduced the jeera to 1 tbsp though.thanks for sharing.

27 Sakshi September 28, 2010 at 11:31 am

They turned out to be very soft… :-(

28 Mangala February 10, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Hi Sunita, you have a great site here. I have linked your recipe in my blog. http://satyamangala.blogspot.com/2011/02/little-hearts-of-cumin-and-pepper.html
Thanks for the recipe.