Ginger, banana and walnut cupcakes ( eggless)

by Sunita on March 30, 2009

Hope all of you had a wonderful start to the week. We had a frosty but bright start to ours. This is going to be the last week before the kids Easter holidays. And yes, even though this means that the noise levels in the house are going to rise by many degrees, I’m really looking forward to it…I think we all need a break from the schedule.

I made these ginger, banana and walnut cupcakes quite a few days ago, which we really liked. Along with ground ginger, the cupcakes also have pieces of crystallized ginger in them which added to the flavour. They were moist and spongy too. So, I’m really pleased enough with the outcome to share the recipe with all you wonderful people…

1/2 C milk
1 large ripe banana, roughly mashed
3 tblsp of dark muscovado sugar
1/2 C oil
1 and 1/4 C of whole wheat flour (atta)
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 tsp ground ginger
3 tblsp of chopped crystallised ginger
3 tblsp chopped walnuts and a little extra for topping

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and line a cupcake tray ( 10 moulds).
  2. Ina food processor, blend together the banana, milk and sugar. Keep aside.
  3. Sieve together the flour,ground ginger, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Add the oil and rub in with the fingertips. Add the 3 tblsp of walnuts and crystallised ginger and mix well.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the milk mixture. Fold in, preferably with a rubber spatula, till everything is just moistened.
  5. Fill the cup cake liners with spoonfulls of the mixture and sprinkle the extra nuts on top.
  6. Place the tray in the centre of the preheated oven and bake for about 18-20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted through the centre comes out clean.
  7. Cool in the tray for a few seconds and transfer to a rack to cool completely.

These cupcakes were really soft and spongy with a mellow sweetness. Rengoni did pick out the crystallised ginger but devoured the rest…as for Agastya, he loved the whole lot and so did I.

1 Asha March 30, 2009 at 11:30 am

Great treat to start Monday, looks great, I am posting a Muffin too this week. Hope your weekend was good there. We had rain but warm. No school for kids today, taking them to movie later! :)

2 CurryLeaf March 30, 2009 at 11:37 am

Delicious and perfect.Love the combo

3 Meeta March 30, 2009 at 11:38 am

This is looking great! love the flavors!

4 Hélène March 30, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Great pictures, I love all the ingredients in this recipe. Looks so yummy.

5 Rosa March 30, 2009 at 5:24 pm

What delicious looking cupcakes! Wonderful!

6 Dimah March 30, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Mmmm….they look super awesome

7 Deborah March 31, 2009 at 12:05 am

I made an eggless cupcake not long ago and loved it. These look even better!

8 Pavithra Kodical March 31, 2009 at 1:43 am

Delicious and lovely combo. I never tried using ginger, will give it a try next time.

9 Nirmala March 31, 2009 at 3:46 am

mmm they look yummy. yeah here too the summer holidays are fast approaching and I am already preparing a list of things I need to cook/bake for the kidos at home!

10 sushma March 31, 2009 at 6:48 am

Hey Sunita,

great dish to start the week they look so yummy..nice combo..

If i have to put regualr castor sugar what is the quantity ?

11 Sunita March 31, 2009 at 8:50 am

Thanks Sushma. The moisture content in muscovado sugar is much higher than regular sugar. If you want to use regular sugar, you’ll need to add molasses to get similar effect. You can use any other dark brown sugar if you have access to it.

12 Rashmi March 31, 2009 at 6:53 am

ginger, banana flavored eggless, atta cupcakes..cool!

13 Priya March 31, 2009 at 8:03 am

Wowow gorgeous also delicious combination…Awesome clicks Sunitha..drooling here!

14 Sudeshna March 31, 2009 at 10:59 am

The cup cakes look so yummy. Is there any way I can use the convection microwave to prepare it. Please inform then.

15 Sunita April 3, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I’ve never baked a cake in the microwave, so will not be able to give you an honest reply…but there’s no reason why you couldn’t try ;-)

16 sandeepa March 31, 2009 at 4:09 pm

That stack looks so pretty.

You are really lucky to have a whole week at home with them. S’s summer vacation is coming up and I am looking around for a summer camp, wish I could be home with her instead :(

17 Sunita March 31, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Actually a little more than two weeks;-) their summer holidays don’t start till the end of July .

18 Ivy March 31, 2009 at 5:05 pm

The cupcakes look beautiful and sure sound delicious. Love the combination of these ingredients.

19 A&N April 1, 2009 at 1:31 am

The ginger must have given such a kick! Would love to have some with chai :)

20 Anjali April 1, 2009 at 2:26 am

I tried this recipe today and have to say that it turned out awesome. I did not have brown sugar, so I used
the regular one instead and had to add a spoon or two more. But the flavor was too good. My very picky daughter took a bite and declared it was quite good and my husband who never eats anything that has sugar had two and asked that I make it more often. Kudos to you for posting yummy healthy recipes!

Anjali

21 sushma April 1, 2009 at 8:21 am

hey Sunita thanks for that info..the problem here is i hvnt come across the variety of sugar even in Spar hypermarket also.. will try wth same amount of castor sugar as u mentioned and let u know :)

22 arfi April 2, 2009 at 7:16 am

Hmmm yeah… holiday is coming :) Muffins look good and filling, I suppose (with wheat flour). Would be lovely to pack up for a picnic or some’

23 Coffee & Vanilla April 16, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Delicious, healthy and beautiful… I love them Sunita! :)

Have a nice day and don’t forget about the Mayan Magic Chocolate-Making Kit Giveaway on my site, closing date April 22nd!

Margot

24 prasu April 24, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Hi Sunitha,
the cupcakes looks yummy … recently i too starteda blog can you please have a look at it
prasukitchen.blogspot.com