Think Ginger round up and announcing the spice for December…

by Sunita on December 1, 2007

It’s that time of the month again…time to round up all those gorgeous entries that have been piling up in my inbox throughout the last month…and display them for all to enjoy. It was really interesting to see all those numerous ways in which the humble ginger has been used to produce exceptional dishes…from drinks to side dishes, mains, and from snacks to desserts.

But before the actual show, here’s the theme for next month…I hope you’ve got your thinking caps ready…this month’s (December) spice is none other than Cinnamon

• The name cinnamon comes from Greek kinnámōmon, from Phoenician and akin to Hebrew qinnâmôn, itself ultimately from a Malaysian language, cf. Malay and Indonesian kayu manis which means sweet wood.
  • Cinnamon (Cinnamomum verum, synonym C. zeylanicum) is a small evergreen tea10-15 meters (32.8-49.2 feet) tall, belonging to the family Lauraceae, native to Sri Lanka and South India.
  • The bark is widely used as a spice due to its distinct odour. In India it is also known as “Daalchini”. Its flavour is due to an aromatic essential oil which makes up 0.5 to 1% of its composition.
  • Cinnamon bark is widely used as a spice. It is principally employed in cookery as a condiment and flavouring material.
  • In medicine it acts like other volatile oils and once had a reputation as a cure for colds.It has also been used to treat diarrhea and other problems of the digestive system. Cinnamon is high in antioxidant activity. The essential oil of cinnamon also has antimicrobial properties, which aid in the preservation of certain foods. Cinnamon has traditionally been used to treat toothache and fight bad breath and it’s regular use is believed to stave off common cold and aid digestion.(wiki)

So, this festive season, get thinking, and remember to think spice… think Cinnamon.

Use it in any form…whole, powder… the guidelines are mostly the same as usual…just a few pointers for more efficient organisation of the event…

• For future events,please send in your pictures(if any) with a 250 pixel width (height does not matter)the guidelines will also be updated…you can go through them here or refer to my left sidebar.
  • Again, while sending in the entries, please do make sure that the pictures have been sent as an attachment.
  • If more than one recipe is published in the same post, please send in each picture separately along with the entry.
  • Please do make sure that the links to the relevant post has been sent, for it becomes a bit difficult to find the relevant recipe while rounding up, once more have been published throughout the month….more like finding a needle in a haystack :-D

Thank you in advance for your kind co- operation :-)

Now for the round up of all those gorgeous entries…As usual, I’ve tried my best to record them, but if any anomalies are noticed , do leave a message, and it will rectified at the earliest. I am sorry, (being pressed for time) at not to have been able to add the little flowery notes in praise of your recipes, which I normally do. But that does not mean that I have not gone through them..I really have and each one of them is unique in their own way. So, a huge round of applause to each and every one of you who have contributed to make this event a roaring success…there would have been no ‘think spice’ if you hadn’t put on your thinking caps… :-)

As usual, I’m eagerly looking forward to your cinnamony creations next month….but first, take a look at all the following delightful gingery creations…

Drinks…

**************
***********
Desserts…

Srivalli…..Jhangiri
Meena…..Ginger burfi

*************
That’s it! See you next month again with another round up of your wonderful entries…till then, keep thinking…and of course cooking, with Cinnamon :-)

1 Saju December 1, 2007 at 10:15 pm

great round-up, what a lot of lovely recipes for us to try

2 KALVA December 2, 2007 at 12:04 am

awesome collection of recipes..
kudos Sunita for hosting such a nice event

3 Suganya December 2, 2007 at 12:27 am

So this was another event I missed. Sunita, Cinnamon should get me started. See ya next month.

4 Nupur December 2, 2007 at 12:46 am

Such a delicious round-up! I hope to be able to make something with cinnamon for the next round…it is the perfect season for some warm cinnamon.

5 Siri December 2, 2007 at 1:33 am

This roundup is a feast to eyes Sunita, such nice variety of dishes and love the ‘Cinnamon’ theme too. Will try to contribute!

~ Siri

6 Gretchen Noelle December 2, 2007 at 2:07 am

These recipes look delicious. I cannot wait to read them through slowly. And cinnamon…of course, cinnamon! Looking forward to it!

7 bee December 2, 2007 at 2:29 am

lovely.

me no like cinnamon. :( but we use it a lot. :D just because …. i’ll tell you when i figure out why.

8 Srivalli December 2, 2007 at 2:35 am

Wonderful round up…everything is looking great!..nice job..

9 Andrea December 2, 2007 at 2:43 am

Wow, so many delicious dishes to try! Wonderful round-up! And thanks for choosing cinnamon, it’s one of my favorites. :-)

10 Dhivya Karthik December 2, 2007 at 3:40 am

I luv cinnamon!! umm..lemme think if i can com up with smthing..Wonderful roundup as usual sunita :)

11 musical December 2, 2007 at 4:04 am

One more lovely, stellar round-up, Sunita :) . Each entry is so yummy! And love the choice of next spice!

12 Rachel December 2, 2007 at 4:45 am

wow that’s a nice roundup..now i can have theme meals at home caterin g right from the starters to desserts!!!

13 Laavanya December 2, 2007 at 5:18 am

Lovely round up Sunitha and amazing ginger dishes. I hope to get something with Cinnamon to you this month! Thanks for hosting.

14 aparna December 2, 2007 at 6:37 am

Quite a collection of recipes. Good roundup. Hmm….cinnamon next, great!

15 RAKS KITCHEN December 2, 2007 at 9:05 am

Great round-up and thanks for your wonderful theme for next month!!

16 easycrafts December 2, 2007 at 9:20 am

Super collection, super job of round up…will try to contribute to the next theme too

17 Baking Soda December 2, 2007 at 10:04 am

Great round up Sunita, quite a few interesting combinations to try!

18 Nags December 2, 2007 at 10:18 am

hmm cinnamon is one challenging spice! let me try and cook up something :D

nice round up, by the way :)

19 Bharathy December 2, 2007 at 10:28 am

I am drooling all over the ginger glasses,cups and bowls…Awesome!!

Fantastic job, sunita!!…
Thankyou , once again,for accepting mine :)

20 sunita December 2, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Saju,
Thanks…aren’t they all so nice :-)

kalva,
Thanks…all credit goes to the participants.

Suganya,
No probs…looking forward to your future entries :-)

nupur,
Thanks…glad you like the current theme…looking forward to your entry :-)

21 sunita December 2, 2007 at 12:25 pm

Siri,
Thanks…all of you have done a great job indeed.

gretchen,
Thanks…glad you like cinnamon…looking forward to your participation.

bee,
Take as much time as you need to figure it out…just make sure you cook with it and drop your lovely recipes in the mail for all of us to enjoy;-)

Srivalli,
Thanks…hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Andrea,
Thanks…glad you like the theme…looking forward to your future participation.

22 sunita December 2, 2007 at 4:54 pm

dhivya,
Thanks…glad you like cinnammmon… so get thinking :-)

musical,
Thanks dear…all the credit rightfully goes to you all.

rachel,
Thanks…and of course you can…just drop me a message to join you ;-)

23 PASSIONATE BAKER....and beyond. December 2, 2007 at 4:58 pm

Great round up Sunita. Such a load of variety with ginger!! Set me thinking cinnamon…I love the feel & look of the bark; hope I can come up with a good recipe.

24 sunita December 2, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Laavanya,
You’re most welcome…looking forward to your cinnamony entry :-)

aparna,
Thanks…aren’t all those recipes winners…I can’t really thanks you all enough.

rak’s kitchen,
Thanks…glad you like the current theme…looking forward to your entry.

25 sunita December 2, 2007 at 5:04 pm

easycrafts,
Thanks…really overwhelmed by all of your enthusiasm.

baking soda,
Thanks…all those recipes are simply great.

nags,
Thanks…and you better put on your thinking cap ;-)

26 sunita December 2, 2007 at 5:06 pm

bharathy,
You’re most welcome…and aren’t all those entries awesome :-)

Passionate baker,
Thanks…looking forward to your cinnamony creations.

27 TBC December 2, 2007 at 5:17 pm

I have somehow never managed to participate in this event:-( I should have participated last month ‘cos this month’s ingredient- cinnamon- is something which I HATE with all my heart:-)
Everything in this part of the world is so very cinnamony.
Great round-up, Sunita!

28 Meera December 2, 2007 at 9:51 pm

Wonderful round up, Sunita! So many recipes to try!! Thanks for including my entry.

Cinnamon sounds a bit challenging to me. Wonder what I can make with cinnamon as the star ingredient? I somehow do not like to pair cinnamon with sweets/desserts. But I want to participate nonetheless. I will try my best!!! Thanks!

29 chemcookit December 3, 2007 at 1:00 am

This is AMAZING! There is so much to take inspiration from. Thanks a lot for organizing this event.. I’m looking forward to trying to participate to the next edition. :)

30 Raji December 3, 2007 at 8:53 am

Lovely event and a great round up! It was fun participating in my first blog event, hope I can come up with something nice for the next one too…

31 Lisa December 3, 2007 at 10:28 am

Mmm inspiration!

And about the next month’s theme: Oh my goodness, I must put cinnamon into at least half the things I cook and bake. I’m sure I can come up with something good for this.

32 Lewis December 3, 2007 at 11:55 am

Well darnit! :) I didn’t realize there was anything like this going on. As it happens I did a HUGE post on Ginger. Pop on over and see a re-run of the Late Show at the Table with Ginger-Root

Hopefully I can participate in the December challenge with cinnamon.

Cheers!

33 SMN December 3, 2007 at 3:53 pm

Hey Sunita loved the round up really nice one.. great effort!

34 Kribha December 3, 2007 at 4:12 pm

OMG! OMG! I missed it. I was thinking that ginger tea was common and didn’t send it to you although I posted it in my blog for you. Anyway, will do it for the next event. Nice round-up.

35 Kribha December 3, 2007 at 4:18 pm

Congrats on completing your first year of blogging. Those petit fours look so lovely. Tried to leave a comment on that post but I got a message “page not found”. Anyway, Enjoy your blog anniversary. :-)

36 sagari December 3, 2007 at 4:47 pm

wonderfull roundup sunitha

37 Happy cook December 3, 2007 at 5:24 pm

Wow what a round up.
And a excelent choice of spice for this month. I almost knew you would choose cinamon this month as it is christmas time.

38 sunita December 3, 2007 at 8:32 pm

tbc, thanks…but oh dear! you ‘hate’? cinnamon…maybe it’s time you got over it…c’mon , give it a try ;-)

meera,
You’re most welcome…I’m sure you’ll come up with something wonderful for this month as well:-)

chemcookit,
Thanks…looking forward to your future participation.

39 sunita December 3, 2007 at 8:39 pm

raji,
Thanks…and I’m sure you’ll whip up something nice, this time as well.

lisa,
Thanks…I’m glad you like the cinnamony theme…looking forward to your goodies :-)

lewis,
:-( …but looking forward to your participation in the current theme…

40 sunita December 3, 2007 at 8:44 pm

smn,
Thanks…glad you dropped by…

kribha,
Next time just send in your entry…do not hesitate for a moment …each and every one is special :-) …and thanks for your wishes.

41 sunita December 3, 2007 at 8:46 pm

sagari,
Thanks…glad you dropped by…

happycook,
Intuition eh?…but seriously, thanks…all credits to you all who contributed :-)

42 Rajitha December 4, 2007 at 1:16 pm

sunita..what a great round-up..who would think th ehumble ginger can get this exotic :) ..and love the spice for the next theme!!

43 Susan December 5, 2007 at 1:16 pm

Sunita, thank you for this splendid spread of super dishes. I’d like to say that ginger is my favorite spice, but I’d be fibbing. It’s impossible to choose!

44 Vcuisine December 9, 2007 at 5:40 am

Nice round up Sunita. Let me see if i get something for cinnamon. Viji

45 Lissie December 11, 2007 at 4:56 pm

sunita, thank you for the great effort you are taking! wonderful recipes…