Brazil nuts?? Hmmm, not quite…

by Sunita on May 15, 2009

”Hey, Rengoni ! Look ! Mum put some Brazil nuts in the dal !!” Those were the exact words of Agastya when he saw the jackfruit seeds in the dal I made the other day, and I did stifle a laugh. But, to give him credit, they did look somewhat similar to Brazil nuts (without the white skin).

Jackfruit seeds are quite looked forward to in Assam, and I’m sure many other places have their own way of enjoying them too. Back home, they are made in a variety of ways from curries to mash to roast and even dunking them in a simple dal (almost always masur dal/red lentils). So masoor dailot diya kothalor gooti/jackfruit seeds in masur dal (red lentils) is always a hit in our family.

As soon as we see the jackfruit making it’s way into our home, we look forward to the seeds and what will be made with them. Of course, this does require some time, as they have to be cleaned and dried in the sun before using. But, once ready, we look forward to them with great enthusiasm. And ma always made sure that all three of us had the exact number, to be ”fair”.

It’s been a while ( read that as years) since I enjoyed these seeds. I have not even seen them in any of the Indian grocery stores near our place. Needless to say, I jumped with joy when I came across them a few days ago. A bagful was promptly bought, and I spent a day thinking what I could create or rather recreate with this treasure. In the end, simplicity won, and I settled down to the recipe which we enjoyed the most as children. Making the bowlful of  masur dal with the jackfruit seeds brought back so many memories. And yes, at the same time, some were created too. The little guy was corrected and just like my ma, I too gave them equal shares of the seeds to be ”fair”.

The recipe for the dal is exactly the same as the one I posted earlier( just skipped the green beans in this). I prepared the seeds by removing the outer white covering. I kept the brown skin on…if you wish, that can be scraped too. The seeds were then washed and added to cook with the dal in the very beginning ( or they will remain too hard). The rest of the procedure is exactly the same. I leave the quantity of the seeds up to you…use as many or as few as you like. We like the seeds to have a little bite to them; if you prefer them very soft, first cook the jackfruit seeds a little, in some water, and then add to the lentils and cook as directed.

A few incentives for you to give jackfruit seeds a try…

It is a rich source of complex carbohydrate, dietary fiber, vitamins like vitamin A, C and certain B vitamins, and minerals like calcium, zinc, and phosphorous. They contain lignans, isoflavones, saponins, that are called phytonutrients and their health benefits are wide-ranging from anti-cancer to antihypertensive, anti-ageing, antioxidant, anti-ulcer, etc. Jackfruit seed powder has the ability to relieve discomfort due to indigestion.(source)

Next time, you come across these seeds, pick up a bag.

Have a great weekend!

1 shyam May 15, 2009 at 11:10 am

WHERE did you come across jacfruit seeds in the UK, Sunita? Where do you live? And which shop??? :)

2 Sunita May 15, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Found them in a Sri Lankan shop at the Ipswich town centre :-)

3 Rosa May 15, 2009 at 11:15 am

Iinteresting seeds! I’d love to find that here… Your dish looks really delicious!

4 Nidhi May 15, 2009 at 11:31 am

Looks fab Sunita! I had no idea that jackfruit seeds are also eaten. I am going to give it a try and not let the husband even get a hint that this has anything to do with jackfruit. Great post!

5 Ramya Vijayakumar May 15, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Kids are very smart, no wonder agastya found jackfruit nut and brazil nut same… I love this curry but for some reason we dont get there in stores here, I have tried indian, american and even mexican groceries but no luck… I can atleast relish looking at the picture ;)

6 Soma May 15, 2009 at 12:16 pm

I remember how i would wait for the seeds (roasted or in dal or curry) after we were done with the ripe jackfruit! some beautiful memories. This year after eons, we got fresh ripe jackfruit from a friend & I save all the seeds… yaaay.. just dried them & they are waiting to be used. Sunita this dal brings back all the taste & memories of home.

7 CurryLeaf May 15, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Wow,have heard,seen and tried (dry curries) with the seeds,but never in a dal.Thanks for the recipe

8 Bong Mom May 15, 2009 at 12:48 pm

This proves that you are a great and versatile cook. Even I wouldn’t know a Brazil nut and that little mite does.

Haven’t tried jackfruit seeds, but the dal looks lovely

9 Parita May 15, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Wow thats interesting..i have never tried a jackfruit seed before…must a try for me..thanks for posting :)

10 Ben May 15, 2009 at 12:58 pm

I’ve never had them before, but they look delicious!

11 SJ May 15, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Oooohh I love those!! I am not fond of jackfruit but I am crazy about the seeds. If you roast the seeds without oil and with their skin and just peel it off and pop it in your mouth heaven!! Me miss INDIA!!!

12 pavithra May 15, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Looking fabulous and great pictures. By the way we too make dishes in this but this is different will try it out next time for sure.. its mouthwatering.

13 Rosie May 15, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Very interesting post and great learning of these seeds. Dish looks wonderful :D

Rosie x

14 Sharmi May 15, 2009 at 5:23 pm

hey Suni, How are you? Long since I visited you! The Jackfruit curry looks delish. I don’t find any here in MI.

15 Namratha May 15, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Ohh I’m so waiting to use Jackfruit seeds in my dal too, I recently got some fresh jackfruit here. Its wonderful that you get these seeds there too! :)

16 A&N May 15, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Oh, we use them in Sambar!!

And roasted! :)

17 Shreya May 16, 2009 at 5:07 am

Oh WOW! I love jackfruit seeds in any dish, and I wish I had some now to make this. Love your pics..

18 Dolon May 16, 2009 at 1:53 pm

This is really a great post .
I get jackfruit Seeds here . Never tried in Dal . I remember my mom roast them . Will try later .
Lovely picture & nice receipe .
Have a great weedend ( our’s finished ,as today is saturday ).

19 Rachel May 16, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Have only had them stirfried!

20 prathibha May 17, 2009 at 5:17 am

I love those jackfruits seeds..Mom roasts it directly,sometimes she adds in palyas and sambar…love the taste of it..yummy.

21 Jason @ Jason's BBQ Adventures May 17, 2009 at 6:28 am

Looks fabulous, wish I could find them where I live.

22 Ivy May 17, 2009 at 7:23 am

I’ve heard of the fruit but never knew about the seeds. The recipe sounds delicious.

23 Rupa Sengupta May 18, 2009 at 12:13 am

awesome !! I loveee kathaal seeds ! It’s lucky you found them .. hehe. I will too ask at my indian grocer’s place about it, but i doubt if they will ever have it.

24 Nirmala May 18, 2009 at 4:34 am

Looks delicious! We usd to make a spicy curry using chana dal, potatoes and jack fruit seeds. But I love them eating plain roasted :)

25 Hélène June 25, 2009 at 4:42 am

That dish looks so delicious. And the costume on the other post is so cute. There was not a comment form so I could not write a comment.

26 Sunita June 25, 2009 at 5:41 am

Thanks Helene…I’m not sure as to why the comment form was not visible …it seems to be there…have you scrolled down after the comments? Sorry for the inconvenience :-(

27 stuti September 25, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Just lovely !!! brings back old memories :) love yr blog … dont make much asomia food here in us, but u keep me motivated!! btw happy puja :)