The goodness of soy…

by Sunita on December 20, 2007

Soy chunks made a frequent appearance at our eating table in my parent’s home…we used to lap up the curry ma used to make in no time at all.When I was younger,I would look forward to those yummy ‘meat’ dishes, as I thought that’s what they were!!

It’s a different story now… the other half is not too fond of it, and although I do pick up a pack now and then, it seems to last forever. It was while rummaging through the pantry the other day, that I stumbled upon a pack of half-used soy chunks and I decided to make use of them and put them into something other than the normal curry that I use it in…finally I made this soy and vegetable bake,

and I was myself really surprised at how well it turned out…it was spicy with a crunchy top and with a very uncomplicated recipe. With some ketchup, it was bliss. It was also a nice way to use up the little bits of this and that veggies that were lying around…and even the hubby didn’t mind…yaay!

A little information on these chunks of goodness…

Textured soy protein is made from defatted soy flour that is compressed and processed into granules or chunks. During this process, the structure of the soy proteins changes in fibres. Most textured soy protein is produced from defatted soy flour, soy flakes or soy concentrates with an extrusion process. This extrusion technology can form a fibrous matrix which is almost similar to that of meat.Textured soy protein has a shelflife of more than a year when stored dry at room temperature. After rehydration, it assumes a similar texture to meat and should be used at once or stored for a max 3 days in the refrigerator. It is also a good source of fiber. Soy protein is very healthy: it is rich in protein (about 70 %), very low in fat, contains no cholesterol and contains phytochemicals. These phytochemicals are strong antioxidants but have many other properties. Soy protein and its associated phytochemicals seem to reduce heart disease, osteoporosis and risk of cancer(from here).

As for the recipe, here goes…

4 C of soy chunks, soaked in hot water till soft
1 carrot, grated
2 potatoes, quartered, boiled and peeled
a handful of spinach leaves, chopped
a small bunch of coriander leaves, chopped
2-3 green chillies , chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 tblsp ginger-garlic paste
5-6 tblsp of oil
1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 bay leaf and 1 whole red chilli (for tempering)
1 tblsp garam masala powder
a pinch(more or less) of chilli powder
3 tblsp of tomato ketchup
3 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 C of breadcrumbs

1. Squeeze the soy chunks of all water and mince them in a food processor.
  2. Pre heat the oven at 200 deg cel.
  3. Place the soy mince, potatoes, spinach, coriander, green chillies, tomato ketchup and 3 tblsp of the breadcrumbs and mix well, mashing the potatoes while doing so.
  4. Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds, bay leaf and whole red chilli.
  5. When the seeds begin to splutter, add the onions and then the ginger -garlic paste and cook till the onions are translucent.
  6. Add the chilli and garam masala powders and mix well.
  7. Add the soy and vegetable mixture to the pan, season with salt and pepper and mix well. Stir and cook for 4-5 minutes and remove from heat.
  8. Add the beaten eggs and mix well.
  9. Place the mixture in an 8 inch round baking dish and afetr smoothing the top, sprinkle the rest of the breadcrumbs to cover the top.
  10. Place the dish in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about an hour and a half or till the top browns nicely and a skewer inserted comes out clean.

That’s it! Serve it hot with a nice salad for a complete meal or with some ketchup like us!

The crunchy top and softer centre was very well liked. It was also a very filling dish.

1 Asha December 20, 2007 at 6:37 pm

That is new and looks good too. I tried Soy once,didn’t like the taste. I like Tofu better. With loads of veggies, it must taste great. Enjoy. I got something with Cinnamon for you, will post this weekend!:)

2 sunita December 20, 2007 at 6:44 pm

asha, now that was really quick :-D …btw, try this recipe..you might like it…looking forward to your cinnamony entry :-)

3 Shilpa December 20, 2007 at 6:56 pm

I had bought a pack of soya chunks once. I tried a curry couple of times but both of us are not too fond of it. I have to see if it is still there, if it is, I am going to try this bake. It looks so delicious.

Btw..not sure if I told you. I tried your mixed bean stew, it tasted great. Thanks :)

4 Mishmash ! December 20, 2007 at 7:28 pm

u re so creative in bringing out new dishes!
Merry X’mas , my friend!

Shn

5 sunita December 20, 2007 at 7:32 pm

shilpa, Dinesh too is not that fond of soy chunks, but did like this…maybe you could give it a try too.
…glad you liked the stew :-)

6 sunita December 20, 2007 at 7:35 pm

Shn, I guess,when something does not go in one way,you’ve got to try another :-D

Happy holidays to you too dear :-)

7 Namratha December 20, 2007 at 8:34 pm

I was just like you in thinking that they were kinda meaty..in fact my Dad wouldn’t let mom make use of these soya chunks for the same reason! The bake looks awesome Sunita, a good way to use soya chunks. When I was in boarding school we used to call them ‘meal maker’, no idea why!! But I loved them no matter what, still do :)

8 Laavanya December 20, 2007 at 9:51 pm

I’m a big fan of these Soy chunks too. This is a lovely idea of using them. Hope you can make and post the curry your mom made as well someday! :)

9 Dhivya December 20, 2007 at 10:12 pm

Whoa Suni! I guess u were right in telling me that Great minds think alike in my comments! Otherwise how do I account for similar kinda ideas with respect to soy chunks?

The only variation was I added more fenugreek leaves( sneaking up the bitter greens) , peas and I skipped eggs altogether. Otherwise its all the same except for denomiations of course! I thought I will post it sometime later since I dint take photos ..and now I see it in yours!

Lady destiny strikes again ;-)

10 sunita December 20, 2007 at 10:18 pm

namratha, thanks…glad you like the idea..as for the ‘Meal Maker’, isn’t it the name of a brand, somethiung like ‘Nutrela’ :-D

11 sunita December 20, 2007 at 10:22 pm

laavanya, thanks…as for the curry, will try to post it sometime…as I’ve said, soy chunks are not a great hit with the other three in my home, so will probably have to take a big breather before I post anything else with them :-D

12 sunita December 20, 2007 at 10:31 pm

dhivya,oh no! Not your lady destiny again :-D DD…and see, I told you so, …but hey, do post your recipe too :-)

13 musical December 21, 2007 at 12:37 am

Very innovative and delish! I have to try it soon :) . Soy chunks are my favorites, they totally rock in pulaavs and with gravied dishes!

14 Suganya December 21, 2007 at 12:40 am

Extra firm, well-squeezed tofu is what I am gonna use. Thanks for the idea, Sunita!

15 Sagari December 21, 2007 at 2:44 am

u made such a yummy recipe with that bland tasting soy chunks lovely recipe sunitha and pic looks beautiful

16 sra December 21, 2007 at 6:26 am

That’s really new, and looks good.

17 Nags December 21, 2007 at 6:43 am

wow! this is a truly unique recipe. will definitely try it.

my cinnamon post is coming right up ;) with a story behind it too :D

18 sunita December 21, 2007 at 9:39 am

musical, so glad to know you love them…I definitely do:-)…and do give this a try.

19 sunita December 21, 2007 at 9:40 am

suganya, you’re most welcome…do go on and give it a try :-)

20 sunita December 21, 2007 at 9:43 am

sagari, thanks…but In love them anyway…was trying to get them inside the other three :-)

21 sunita December 21, 2007 at 9:45 am

nags, thanks…glad you like it…looking forward to your cinnamony post :-)

22 Happy cook December 21, 2007 at 12:07 pm

My mom jst make them adding tje masalas etc. I was never a fan of soya chunks.
This is indeed a special and creative way of making them.

23 Rajitha December 21, 2007 at 12:07 pm

it is the opposite in my place sunita…hubby loves it and i don’t…but the bake looks great..how did you manage the corners to get soo perfect!! mine is always falling apart :)

24 Deborah December 21, 2007 at 3:40 pm

I have never really worked with soy before. This looks wonderful, and makes me want to experiment with the soy!

25 sunita December 21, 2007 at 4:15 pm

happy cook, thanks I love them anyway…but need to find out ways for the other three :-)

26 sunita December 21, 2007 at 4:16 pm

rajitha, thanks…I love them…btw, what did you exactly mean by ‘corners’?

27 Katy December 21, 2007 at 4:52 pm

looks great! where did you find the soy chunks? i’ve never seen them in my health food store OR grocery store!

28 Miri December 21, 2007 at 6:32 pm

Will definitely try this recipe, like the curry I make, but this has got to be a good option to use up the chunks lying around!

29 Mansi Desai December 21, 2007 at 7:06 pm

wow, that looks lika a beauty Sunita! really appetizing!

30 sunita December 22, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Katy, found them in our local supermarket…I sometimes get them from the local Indian groceries store.

31 sunita December 22, 2007 at 2:33 pm

miri, thanks…it’s definitely different from the curries…do try it :-)

32 sunita December 22, 2007 at 2:38 pm

mansi, thanks…was trying out something different :-)

33 RAKS KITCHEN December 25, 2007 at 5:18 am

Looks lovely and your photography is superb Sunita!
Happy new year to you:)

34 ANTONETTA December 26, 2007 at 5:18 am

Dear Sunita

Your website is a delight to read. I always look forward to reading your posts. I would like to try out your recipes. But I am a vegetarian and do not eat eggs. What can I use in place of eggs. Please advise. I have tried out your other vegetarian recipes. Regards
Antonetta.
Do kindly reply on antonetta@rediffmail.com

35 sunita December 26, 2007 at 1:45 pm

rak’s kitchen, thanks…well, I’m still teaching myself :-)

Seasons greetings to you too :-)

36 sunita December 26, 2007 at 1:46 pm

antonetta, thanks …glad to know that you enjoy my humble space here…will get back to you as soon as you can :-)