Hot and sweet mango crumble

by Sunita on June 9, 2009

”Mummy, don’t you blog anymore?” asked Rengoni. ”This tastes great! Have you taken a picture?”, asked Dinesh. As for Agastya, yes, he too joins in with his two cents!

Over the last two and a half years, blogging has become such a part of my life, and of course the other three quarters of my family, that a few days of inactivity does raise quite a few eyebrows. Yes, I have been going through and replying to the lovely messages that  you left during this time. But, somehow, couldn’t bring myself to post anything. Every time I make something which we like, the feeling of posting about it does cross my mind, but it just stops at that. I wouldn’t particularly call it a writers’ block, but just a little distraction. Quite a few things have been going on, and somehow this dear space of mine has not been updated for a while. But I hope, ”this too shall pass”.

To set the ball rolling again, here’s some hot and sweet mango crumble.

The very mention of mangoes brings back to my mind, all those Indian summers, when the markets would be flooded with these yellow beauties.

Here, in the UK, we do not get them in abundance, but we relish whatever few we can get hold of. Of course, mango does not need to be dressed up at all. We adore the sweet, fleshy fruit in it’s most natural form. Apart from this, the best way I like it is to make a crumble. Soft fruit adorned with spices, and covered with a crumb topping…yumm!

2C of chopped, ripe mango
1/3 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp crushed red chillies

For the topping-

1 and 1/2 tblsp of whole wheat flour (atta)
4 tblsp of slightly coarsely ground almonds ( I used 3 tblsp of ground almonds + 1 tblsp of wholewheat bread crumbs, as I ran out of ground almonds)
1 and 1/2 tblsp of dark brown sugar
1tblsp of sunflower or vegetable oil

1. Pre heat the oven at 170 deg C.
  2. Mix the mangoes lightly with the cinnamon and chillies.
  3. Rub together all the ingredients for the topping, with fingertips.
  4. Divide the mango mixture among four ramekins ( mine are 3 inches in diameter and 2 inches in height), and sprinkle the topping over it.
  5. Tap the ramekins on the counter. Arrange them on a baking tray. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 20-30 minutes or till the top is nicely browned and the fruit is bubbly.
  6. Serve warm or chilled.

There! Wasn’t that easy? Of course, if mango is not available, other fruits can be used in the same way too. If your fruit is too tart, add a bit of honey.

The rain in our neck of the woods has brought down the temperatures. We loved the warmth from the crumble. The bite from the topping, the sweetness of the fruit and slight heat from the chillies was a pleasure to the senses.

Take care, and I hope to come back soon with something else to entice you all :-)

Related post-

Apple crumble

1 Parita June 9, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Mango crumble looks delicious..with chilli and cinnamon..its a winner :)

2 Rosa June 9, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Ooohhh, delicious! I love mango!

3 Happy Cook June 9, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Wow that crumble looks so so good.
hans was in UL last weekend and he went to toothing and bought three boxes of themost delicous mangoes. Loved the way you have spiced them up.

4 Soma June 9, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Hot & Sweet is the way I like it! What a wonderful thing to do with the mangoes. We got our first box a couple of weeks back & were not too happy with them. Summer always makes me miss Indian summers.

5 prathibha June 9, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Hmm that looks amazing….

6 a2zvegetariancuisine June 9, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Looks delicious and the photographs enhances the beauty of what is there.

7 indosungod June 9, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Looks lovely. Sweet and spicy is perfect for mangoes. Missed your posts. I can imagine Rengoni and Agstaya’s surprise at the lack of hula bulaoo before the food is served

8 Bong Mom June 9, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Delicious, looks lovely

9 Cilantro June 9, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Delicious…I love mango. Thank you for the wonderful recipe. The pic says it all.

10 Lubna Karim June 9, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Oh wow that’s an awesome mango recipe…simple and delish…..

11 Hélène June 9, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Beautiful crumble. It’s not easy to write posts all the time. Takes a lot of time.

12 Meeta June 9, 2009 at 8:38 pm

funny enough i was just working on the photographs for my next post – also using mangoes. we all need a break every now and then. the last few weeks without my photography has been hard so now that things have changed for me again i channeled my frustration in taking pictures again. the break did me good now – i find i am trying out new things again.
the crumbles look incredible!

13 Mona June 9, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Looks deeelish! Summery, fruity, and oh so cinnamony :-)

14 Kalai June 9, 2009 at 11:08 pm

I do this with peaches all the time, but mangoes? Wow! I love this idea! Am definitely trying this. :)

15 Kiran June 9, 2009 at 11:36 pm

What a wonderful idea, I have been meaning to make something different with mangoes this season apart from enjoying them as they are. It is funny how my son has been asking me the same question of late, I manage to create the food and take the pictures but some how don’t have enough time to put them up on the site.

16 Michelle June 10, 2009 at 2:37 am

Oh these look gorgeous and scrumptious! Perfect for summer! Looking forward to seeing more beautiful recipes from you!

17 Nirmala June 10, 2009 at 6:25 am

Ah u’re back! Good dear…I was terribly missing you. Somehow this blog has become dear to my heart and I come to it every day. This crumble looks incredibly delicious. Here I am relishing mangoes almost everyday. I shall give a try to this one if I am left with any mangoes. How much ever we buy they disappear in no time ;)

18 Purnima June 10, 2009 at 7:03 am

Have to, have to, have to, have to make this one, Sunita!!! :)

19 Sangeetha June 10, 2009 at 9:16 am

lovely pics !!!

20 Dolon June 10, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Wow …Looks so delicious . Great post after small distraction ……

21 Vaishali June 10, 2009 at 4:04 pm

That crumble sure looks delicious. I too miss Indian summers just for those beautiful mangoes– Alphonso with its sweet, vibrant-orange flesh was to die for. Out here in the US we mostly seem to get these pale-yellow hard mangoes that taste nothing like the ones I remember from India.

22 pavithra June 10, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Marvellous and really tempting.. pictures rocks

23 Joanne June 11, 2009 at 12:46 am

That is mouth watering! If you keep posting more enticing desserts like that, we will all gain 20 lbs just by looking at them. Wonderul post all around.

24 Miri June 11, 2009 at 8:58 am

If its any consolation, we dont seem to be getting the mangoes the kind we used to enjoy in our childhood , too. Either everything is being exported and only the lower quality is left behind or it is picked too soon so that by the time it reaches us has lost all flavour.

I did manage to get a nice box of Alphonsoes from Mumbai though and whatever we couldnt finish, promptly froze the pulp. Made a really nice mango cream with it last week. I thought that was delicious – this crumble is even better and must have tasted heavenly too!

Miri

25 arfi June 11, 2009 at 9:23 am

oh how i love mango! the first fruit i ever tasted in Bali was mango! my fave indeed. i’d love to nibble this too, perhaps warmer will be suitable for winter nights, ey?

26 sig June 12, 2009 at 3:21 am

Oh yeah, the blogging highs and lows, everyone goes through it! Way to come back with a bang… it looks so good!

27 sushma June 12, 2009 at 6:19 am

I guess this is news is everywhere…as u said its just a matter of time i guess…hope your mood just swings and u start posting everythng like together..

The crumble looks so great!

28 sheels June 15, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Sunitha,
I tried your recipe for Mango crumble. Hate to say but my topping did not look as good as yours, wonder why?.
What went wrong?? I followed your recipe except I used regular white sugar as I was out of brown sugar, is that the reason?.
I really like few of your recipes easy to follow for starters like me. I tried your parsnip & carrot paratha, it was Yummmmmm :) Thanks for sharing the recipe.
I have never baked before planning to bake pear and walnut upside down cake of yours!!

29 Sunita June 15, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Hi sheels,

I’m sure that using regular sugar is the reason for the difference in colour. Glad you liked the parathas. Do give the cake a try …hope you like it :-)

30 Kevin June 15, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Mango works so well in crumbles! I will have to try adding some chillies next time.

31 Sunita June 18, 2009 at 11:34 am

All,

Thanks for your lovely coments. We did love the crumble a lot…hope you give it a try too :-)

32 jafrina June 17, 2010 at 3:59 pm

hi
To start with I need tips from you,Sunita.You see I am not the ‘baking’ type,even the simplest cake goes straight from oven to the bin…:-(. After trying a couple of times I had convinced myself that UK is the cake capital of the world and that a cake or a pudding doesn’t necessarily have to come out of my over.However, everytime I log onto FB ,I get a glimpse of your everday culinary wonders and have again felt the urge to try my hands at baking.

I have a can(850gms) of pureed mangoes,I made lassi with some of it yesterday and want to use the rest of it to make a mango pudding or even cake.Do you have anything up your sleeves?

love
jafrina

33 Sunita June 20, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Jafrina, sorry for being late in getting back to you. I haven’t made cakes or too mnay other puddings with mangoes; hardly get any after gorging on them as they are. will let you know if I come up with anything. How about just mixing them with some double cream and freezing them in moulds? makes great lollies!