Baked sea bream…

by Sunita on January 21, 2008

Fish forms an essential part of the Assamese diet. The close proximity of the state of Assam to the mighty Brahmaputra river has always assured a large and steady supply of various kinds of riverine fishes. Like so many of our native brethren, we too nurture this love and as we moved from place to place, we kept that love alive by adopting and savouring the various kinds of fish that are locally available and cooking them in the traditional and, at times, the not so traditional ways, but both to suit our taste buds.

One of our latest finds has been the sea bream. Sea bream, also called Dorade on the continent is a kind of fish which is quite similar in taste and texture as the sea bass. It was this fish that I made a bake of, and along with some roasted new potatoes and a salad, they contributed towards a very nice meal. The fish recipe is very easy to assemble and doesn’t take long to cook. But watch out for those sharp fins if you don’t want to end up like this…

And if you’re still there , the following is the recipe for baked sea bream

2 sea breams (approximately 750 gms), gutted, scaled and washed
zest and juice of 1 orange
1 small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
1 inch ginger, finely chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp each of ground coriander and cumin
1/2 tsp of crushed red chillies
a handful of pine nuts(optional)
2 tblsp of olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Pre heat the oven at 200 deg cel.
  2. Pat dry the fishes with a kitchen towel and make 3-4 diagonal incisions on both sides.
  3. Mix together all the rest of the ingredients.
  4. Place the fishes, side by side on a greased roasting tray.
  5. Spoon over half of the orange mixture on the fishes, and also into the slits.
  6. Place the tray into the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 6-7 minutes.
  7. Remove the tray and spoon over the rest of the orange mixture, the same way as before.
  8. Return the tray to the oven and bake for another 6-7 minutes or till the fish is cooked completely ( the flesh will turn white ).

Serve hot . A simple fresh salad goes well with this, but we gorged on some roast potatoes as well !

1 Asha January 21, 2008 at 6:43 pm

Oh dear! Hope it doesn’t hurt bad! I saw and heard in one of the food shows that those fins are really sharp. I cooked Fish last week but it was already clean and packaged, you know the boring kind!:D
Looks great, I need to cook more with Fish!:)

2 sunita January 21, 2008 at 6:57 pm

asha, it happened so quickly, I hardly realised…and that too, after they were already gutted and scaled by the fishmonger…this fish has some really sharp ones… glad that, at least they tasted good. Btw, hope you’re catching up with your other interests :-)

3 sra January 21, 2008 at 7:01 pm

Sunita, I once had to get my hand (my palm) drained after a piece of fish bone got stuck in it and it swelled up and got infected! I didn’t realise what had happened, only after it began swelling. I went around wondering what on earth could be wrong for three or four days!!!

I really liked the idea of the cashew cookies, I look for recipes with minimal or no kneading, if I bake at all!

4 Shilpa January 21, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Thats a lovely fish bake Sunita. I was a bit skeptic about baking any fishes in oven, but after I tried Sig’s salmon dish, I am comfortable with it. So if I find this fish here, I am going to try this, otherwise will try with some other fish. It looks too good.

5 sunita January 21, 2008 at 7:47 pm

sra, I understand what you mean…those fishy bones can get nasty at times…but we still love them :-) as for the cookies, do give them a try…

6 sunita January 21, 2008 at 7:50 pm

shilpa, baked fishes, if done properly, come out great…I’ve done quite a few too and love them…do try this out.

7 Rajitha January 21, 2008 at 10:18 pm

hope ur finger gets better sunita..it is a pain when there are small nicks and cuts on the fingers..not that anywhere else is a breeze ;)

8 musical January 21, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Ouch! i hope it didn’t hurt too much! The bake looks great! It had to be, you made it, and with so much of work!

9 Padma January 21, 2008 at 11:37 pm

I hope that didnt hurt u muc, but I have heard that a cut from fish takes longer to heal, is that so with you too? This baked fish looks divine, I never tried to bake, ur recipe is giving me courage to try one, Id any fish ok for baking or should I search for Sea Bass?

10 Rachel January 22, 2008 at 3:28 am

Oh poor you! The baked fish looks so well done…I love fish in whatever style it is made..I was exposed to different varieties of fish during my stay in goa…It was there when I lived on my own that I learned to clean fish..the scales et al…

11 Nags January 22, 2008 at 4:02 am

hmm yumm.. baked fish! the seasoning looks awesome. and may i also add that you have a very pretty finger? :D

12 sunita January 22, 2008 at 9:46 am

rajitha,the finger is so much better now, thank you….and yes, cuts and grazes don’t make it any easier…especially when there are mouths to be fed :-)

13 sunita January 22, 2008 at 9:48 am

musical, thanks sweetie…glad you like the look of it…a very simple and easy recipe:-)

14 sunita January 22, 2008 at 9:52 am

padma, the finger is healing, thanks. I think probably this is the first tie that I have hurt myself with a fish…these ones do have some stubborn fins…as for the time taken, well, when you’ve got a hundred other things in your mind, you don’t notice :-)
..as for the fish, do give it a try…other’s would probably do, but if you can find sea bass, there’s nothing like it :-)

15 sunita January 22, 2008 at 9:53 am

rachel, thanks…so you should have no problem in trying this out :-)

16 sunita January 22, 2008 at 9:54 am

nags, thanks…the combination worked quite well, if I may say so myself :-)

17 Happy cook January 22, 2008 at 12:54 pm

I am comming over sunita. The baked fish looks so good.
I love the way you have added pine nuts.
Well cut fingers or not you have a beautiful nails :-)

18 Sig January 22, 2008 at 3:31 pm

It looks delicious Sunita!!! I love the idea of pinenuts in it… I haven’t seen seabream here, but we sure get a lot of fresh seabass… I will be trying this soon…. Ouch about that finger… hope it gets better soon…. Beautiful hand btw, I know I have said that before ;)

19 Mishmash ! January 22, 2008 at 7:42 pm

adding pine nuts is a good idea and its delish! Btw, nice long beautiful fingers :) its been said that those with such fingers are generally great artists and u re one for sure :)

20 sunita January 22, 2008 at 9:41 pm

happy cook, you’re most welcome, anytime :-)

21 sunita January 22, 2008 at 9:43 pm

sig, thanks…sea bass will do well…btw, I’m sure a face as pretty as yours will have equally pretty hands :-)

22 sunita January 22, 2008 at 9:47 pm

shn, the fish did go down well with us :-) ..btw, if what you say about hands is true, I can imagine how beautiful your’s must be( for you are an artist ) :-)

23 Mona January 22, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Baked Fish are my favourite, but i hate the cleaning part !! I am always on the look out of already cleaned fishes. Never heard of this fish you are talking about. Will look for it and bake it ur way sometime. Thanks for sharing..

24 sunita January 23, 2008 at 9:47 am

mona,yes, cleaning a fish can be quite a hassle…do try out this recipe…

25 Laavanya January 25, 2008 at 6:53 pm

Sunita, your finger looks so beautiful… kind of artistic and dainty.

26 Pixie January 28, 2008 at 5:39 pm

This looks so yummy and I like the idea of having pine nuts. Great blog!