Snack time!!

by Sunita on February 13, 2008

The children’s half term is on in full swing and I’m really glad that we’ve seen some gorgeous weather in the last few days. They are enjoying themselves, keeping busy by playing together, not to forget the bickering as well, and taking part in some activities during the second half of the day. Needless to say, they are absolutely knackered and famished by the time they come back home. So I made these simple bread and vegetable tikkis for them to enjoy.

2 potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed
2 C grated carrots
1C peas
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
a generous bunch of coriander, chopped
8 slices of wholemeal or white bread, dipped in water and squeezed
1 egg, beaten
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Pre heat the oven at 190 deg C and grease a baking tray.
  2. Mix and mash together all the ingredients, except the egg and peas.
  3. Add the peas and mix well.
  4. Divide the mixture into 17-18 equal portions.
  5. Shape the portions into balls and slightly flatten them between the palms of your hand.
  6. Place them on the prepared baking tray and brush the tops with the beaten egg.
  7. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes or till golden brown and firm on top.
  8. Serve hot with ketchup or any other dip or chutney.

Rengoni and Agastya had theirs with ketchup. They loved the tikkis and most were gone in no time. I had made quite enough, so there were a few left behind for the bigger kids as well ;-) If you like your snacks really hot, add some chilli powder or chopped green chillies, but I was happy as they were though, for I run a mile from chillies anyway :-D

Enjoy…while I sort out two debating ( read that as ‘arguing’) kids….ah well…the joys of having them around :-D

Update- Am sending these tikkis over to Vanamala for her Kid’s food event…thanks Asha and Siri.

1 sunita February 15, 2008 at 2:18 pm

smn, I think most of us have tried this in some form or the other :-) …do try them :-)

2 sunita February 15, 2008 at 2:20 pm

Pragyan,thanks…try them this way as well :-)

3 cristie February 15, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Thanks for the recipe. It reminds me of a snack my South Korean friend showed me how to make. She buys a Korean pancake-like mix into which she mixes chopped onion, zucchini, carrots, and whatever else she has on hand. Then she lightly cooks it in oil as you would a pancake. The kids love it. I like her recipe and yours because they both get kids to eat veggies – a perpetual struggle in our house. Thanks, Cristie

4 Mishmash ! February 15, 2008 at 5:17 pm

quick, easy and tasty..thats all i can think of when i see this snack…and it looks equally tempting too…good for those rainy wintry days right :)

5 sunita February 16, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Cristie, you’re most welcome..as for the recipe from your friend, I too make those savoury pancakes with all sorts of veggies in them which the kids happily tuck into :-)

6 sunita February 16, 2008 at 8:51 pm

shn, yes, and oil free to boot…so , no guilty feelings there.

7 sree October 4, 2010 at 4:45 pm

These patties looked very yummy and I have given it a try. But mine did not turn out good. I baked them for more than an hour and still the patties, atleast the top, were not getting firm..any suggestions?

8 Sunita October 4, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Sree, i’m not sure what went wrong; btw, these are not going to be very crisp any way, but should be firm enough.