Celebrating 400+ posts with some yeasted vanilla mini loaves served with a cherry compote

by Sunita on July 15, 2009

Just as I was about to start this post, I realised that I have surpassed 400 posts in this blog…406 to be precise! I am glad and do consider it as a milestone . For something started on the spur of the moment, I am happy that I have been able to carry it on so far. But, the best part of two and half years of blogging, and 400+ posts is the interaction with my lovely readers. So, thank you everyone, for brightening my humble world with your valuable inputs.

Now, a little something to lightly sweeten your day…yeasted vanilla mini loaf served with a cherry compote.

These little beauties are very easy to make, and unlike other yeasted breads, does not need all that kneading. Just mix, fill, leave to rise and bake. I actually got the inspiration from something similar, recently cooked up by Valentine Warner on television. But there were no measurements given, and I made my own along with a few other changes. I substituted plain flour with whole wheat flour, sugar with honey and butter with sunflower oil. Warner made heart shaped buns and soaked them in  a ’seriously sweet’ sugar and honey syrup. I made mini loaves and served them with a cherry compote. I also topped them with some pumpkin seeds to add a little crunch.

7 heaped tblsp of whole wheat flour (atta)
a pinch of salt
2 tsp fast action dried yeast
7 tblsp of sunflower oil
3 eggs, lightly beaten
6 tblsp honey
1 tsp vanilla essence
a handful of pumpkin seeds

For the compote-The following measurements yield just about 3 tblsps of compote. I made more later by increasing the amount accordingly.

10-12 ripe cherries, pitted and chopped
7 tblsp water
2 tblsp honey

1. Grease a mini loaf pan. I got 5 mini loaves, baked in a 4 and 1/2 by 2 and 1/2 inch loaf pan. These can also be made in a greased muffin tray.
  2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, yeast and salt. Add the eggs and oil and mix in, preferably with a wooden spoon. Follow with the honey and vanilla and beat really briskly for a few more minutes with the spoon.
  3. Spoon the mixture into the pan /muffin moulds, filling them up half way . Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds and leave in a preferably warm place to rise, for approximately an hour.
  4. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes or till the tops are nicely browned and a toothpick inserted through the centre of the buns/loaves come out clean.( my loaves and took a little longer; about 18 minutes)
  5. Cool the buns/loaves in the pan for a minue and then release them from the pans. Cool completely on a rack before slicing (if making loaves).
  6. For the compote- Place the cherries, honey and water in a small pan over heat. Bring to a boil and stir constanty for a couple of minutes till most of the water evaporates and the fruit is soft. Take care not to burn. Transfer to a food processor blend roughly.
  7. Serve the compote alongside the buns/slices

We had slices of the loaves with spoonfuls of the compote on top…yummm!

The bread was soft with a lovely vanilla flavour and a bite brom the pumpkin seeds. The sweetness from the compote went very well with it. The light and dark looked good too. Want a bite?

This is on its way to Susan for Yeastspotting. This week’s edition is being hosted by Nick of imafoodblog

1 Sudeshna July 15, 2009 at 10:59 am

Hi,
Just a little suggestion, hope you don’t mind, it would be great if you can put a stumble upon and digg plugin to your posts.

2 Sunita July 15, 2009 at 11:08 am

Sudeshna, I don’t mind at all. But, it’s already there..just go to the ‘Tell a friend’ button just below the post :-)

3 Rosa July 15, 2009 at 11:19 am

Congrats! Can I have a slice of that wonderful loaf with some of your delighful jam, please? Yummy!

4 CurryLeaf July 15, 2009 at 11:24 am

Lovely.Congrats on your milestone.The loaf looks very very inviting and perfect.Love the compote.The comb is heavenly

5 Rupa July 15, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Oh how very yum…..Please please please tell me how I can substitute the eggs? I am a vegetarian and need this bread badly……

6 Rupa July 15, 2009 at 12:44 pm

And Congratulations on the landmark post….and am sure there are many more milestones to come…Love your blog

7 Sia July 15, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Congrats Suni! 400+ post is indeed a milestone! Thank you for taking us on a delicious journey with you :)

now where is my share of vanilla loves with cherry compote?

8 Kiran July 15, 2009 at 2:49 pm

I caught the tail end of that programme and did not know what the syrup was. These look lovely especially the cherry compote. Congratulations on the posts :)

9 Srivalli July 15, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Lovey Suni..congrats on the milestone!

10 Soma July 15, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Congrats Sunita! 400 posts!.. The loaf looks really cute:-) That spoonful of compote looks awesome! I am getting my strawberry preserve post, & I have quite a spoonful like that ;-D

11 Simran July 15, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Congrats! Lovely way to celebrate

12 pavithra July 15, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Congrats on ur mile stone and the bread is so cute and inviting just perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!keep rocking.

13 snooky doodle July 15, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Great bread and the compote looks delicious. Awesome photos!

14 Dee July 15, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Congratulations on reaching yet another milestone Sunita ! Gorgeous Pictures and a lovely dish yet again ! You are truly inspirational , My baking queen :) Hugs!

15 ttfn300 July 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm

my my, cherry compote and warm vanilla loaves… heaven! congrats on so many amazing posts sunita!!!

16 Khaugiri July 16, 2009 at 2:17 am

Congratulations Sunita for the 400th Post!!!!! loaf looks yummmmmm with cherry compote.

17 Nirmala July 16, 2009 at 8:28 am

Congrats dear! Its just not the readers those who light up your world but its the way you pamper us with your lovely writing and stunning pics! Way to go! Wishing you thousand of posts to follow :) I have ead about yeasted cakes before but haven’t tried any. These cuties looks lovely with the contrasting cherry compote! A good candidate for CLICK-Bi-color too ;)

18 Dolon July 16, 2009 at 9:35 am

Hey congratulation for 400+ posts … Yes definately its a milestone …
Now send me some pieces of loaf with a nice amount of cherry compote.
& yes pictures are as usual perfect ….

19 Ben July 16, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Que rico! I like the idea of not having to knead a bread in the middle of the summer. This looks amazingly delicious, especially with that cherry compote. yummy!

20 Rosie July 16, 2009 at 12:41 pm

A perfect bake for celebrating your 400+ posts. Here is looking forward to the next 400+ posts with you :D

21 Lakshmi July 16, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Congratulations on the 400 posts. That sure is a tough milestone to achieve!
The loaf looks delicious..bookmarked!

22 Lisa July 16, 2009 at 2:28 pm

I hope so see many more years of your wonderful recipes and photos! Thanks for your continued efforts. They are much appreciated.

23 Rupa Sengupta July 16, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Oh wow ! Congratulations ! And this cake looks YUM ! -Rupa

24 Hélène July 17, 2009 at 2:29 am

Congratulations! Oh my your pictures are beautiful.

25 Kay July 17, 2009 at 3:53 am

What a delicious journey! Congratulations!!

And I have to tell you this. You singlehandedly got me to jump into the world of cookies. Thanks very much, Sunita!

26 nick July 17, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Really beautiful photography in the post. Breads not half-bad either! :-)

I actually never thought vanilla + bread = ?? but having read about it here now it totally makes sense.

27 Stefanie July 17, 2009 at 4:42 pm

A delicious bread! And the pictures are mouthwatering!

28 Divya Vikram July 17, 2009 at 7:27 pm

400 posts is indeed a great milestone! Miniloaf looks pretty!

29 Laura July 17, 2009 at 11:14 pm

I just made some cherry jam. That vanila loaf is calling out to me. So earthy, with the whole wheat flour, honey, and pumpkin seeds, but so sophisticated, too.

30 Sunita July 18, 2009 at 12:42 am

All,

Thank you everyone for all your lovely comments…your company has made this place what it is . Wish I could share a slice of the loaf with you :-)

31 Aditi July 18, 2009 at 2:36 pm

hey, lovely recipe. Can you tell me how long does it take the dough to rise?

32 Sunita July 18, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Approximately an hour…and thanks for pointing it out, I have updated the post :-)

33 Aparna July 31, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Haven’t been here in a while. :)
Congratulations, Sunita and wishing you many, many more posts here. A very beautiful loaf too.

34 closeupsmile November 26, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Hi Sunitha!!
I baked the vanilla loaf today.As it was baking the aroma wafted out of the house and the neighbors came knocking..And u know what?The vanilla loaf disappeared within minutes.Thank u Sunitha for the lovely recipe!But I have one doubt.How much is the weight of the wheat flour you used?Since u mentioned 7 heaped table spoons I was not sure about how heaped it shld be.I added 10 level table spoons.May be that is why my loaf was very light and airy..the texture is not same as yours..If u could tell me the weight of the flour I could try it again..please.
And once again thank u and keep up the good work!!I like ur site esp since u use wheat flour for baking :D