Narikolor roti ( Coconut flatbread)

by Sunita on July 22, 2009

Rengoni and Agastya’s summer holidays have begun. We are just planning to spend lazy days, now and then, pottering about. We just want to take each day as it comes, with no rush, enjoying each other’s company till it’s time for them to go back to school in September, and start a new year in a new class. The weather is not that hot now, the frequent drizzles and at times thunderous showers have kept things pleasantly cool.

On the kitchen front, I had made these spiced coconut rotis a few days ago. These rotis were mildly spiced and we enjoyed them immensely. I had paired them with a chicken curry and that made for a wonderful meal indeed.

Without further ado, this is how I made these lovely rotis-

2 and 1/4 C whole wheat flour (atta)
3 – 4 tblsp dessicated coconut
1 tblsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp crushed red chillies
1and 1/2 tsp salt
2 tblsp sunflower or vegetable oil
1C milk ( may need a tsp or two more)
ghee/butter for brushing the rotis

1. Mix together all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Rub in the oil with fingertips. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the 1C of milk. Start mixing and when everything comes together, knead the dough till smooth. If the dough is too craggy, add some more milk, a tsp at a time, but do not add too much. the dough should be smooth but not too soft. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and let it rest for at least an hour.
  2. Divide the dough into 16 equal portions. Shape each into a ball and slightly flatten them.
  3. Heat a thick bottomed pan and reduce the heat to medium.
  4. Roll out a portion of the dough into a disc of about 2 mms in thickness. Place the disc on the pan and cook till light brown spots appear. Turn it over and cook on that side till light spots appear. Turn a couple more times till dark brown spots appear. Remove from heat, place on a piece of foil and brush with a little melted ghee/butter. Repeat all this for all the rest of the portions of dough, stacking each roti on top of the other.
  5. Fluctuate the heat from medium to low. The pan must not be too hot.
  6. Serve hot with a curry or even with some pickle or raita.

We loved the rotis. They were lightly spiced and the coconut added a wonderful touch. As i said earlier, we had ours with a chicken curry to form a filling weekend lunch.

1 Parita July 22, 2009 at 8:59 am

This is new to me, looks delicious, never used coconut in roti, def worth a try!

2 Rosa July 22, 2009 at 9:21 am

Oh, yummy! I love flatbreads of all kinds as well as spices, so those are definitely for me!

3 Sharmila July 22, 2009 at 11:18 am

This is such a wonderful idea Sunita! Coconut rotis! And spiced too. Love the look of them. :-)

4 Nirmala July 22, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Looks wonderfully golden. I have had stuffed coconut rotis ( we call them poli) but they are sweet. This is an easy one to try and with a chicken curry its a treat on its own ! Have fun time with kids at home.

5 Anne July 22, 2009 at 1:26 pm

They look delicious, am venturing into flatbreads of late so will have to give these a go soon!

6 Mishmash! July 22, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Hi there :)

Feel as though its been looong since I came by ur place ..! enjoy the precious time with ur two love birds….and have a fun vacation :)
Shn

7 Bong Mom July 22, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Those rotis with chicken curry sounds delish. So summer hols is only a month ?

8 Soma July 22, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Inspite of the so similar cuisines between Assam & Bengal, I have never had these! Sounds really good, & will give this a try soon. reminds me of the sweet coconut filled Pithas.

9 Poornima July 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm

I have never added coconut to my rotis. These rotis look great.

10 Dolon July 23, 2009 at 9:53 am

Hey sunita my mom also make the same rotis at home ( sometimes ) ….. It taste great ….But I never tried them to make at my home …. This looks delicious & piocture is as usual very nice …..

11 Sudeshna July 23, 2009 at 10:00 am

This is an awesome idea to stuff parathas with coconut. Loved the recipe. But the only problem with me preparing rotis is that they turn out to be all geometrical shapes excepting for round.:).
I had sent you a mail at your yahoo id couple of days back, please reply if you go through it.

12 diva August 1, 2009 at 3:41 am

i’m lovin the sound and looks of these guys. shd so have found this recipe before my bag of dessicated coconut went out of date!! :( x

13 Gayathri Ramanan May 10, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Hi sunita, first time to your blog..
You got so many interesting recipes…love your blog
Y’day I tried your coconut flat bread recipe, it was really amazing ..
thank you so much..sunita