Think star anise round up…

by Sunita on March 5, 2008

In my last post, I had invited fellow bloggers to share the hosting of Think spice if they were willing. The following are those who have confirmed along with the respective months.

April 2008-Gretchen of ‘Canela & Comino’
May 2008-Easy crafts of ‘Simple Indian food’
June 2008- Kaykat of’Cooking from A to Z’
July 2008-Aparna of ‘My diverse kitchen’
August 2008-Sunita of ‘Sunita’s world’
September 2008- waiting for confirmation
October 2008-Mimikatzchen of ‘Mimi on the move’
November 2008- Dhivya P of ‘Dhivya’s cuisine’
December 2008-Raaga of ‘The singing chef’
January 2008- Zlamushka of ‘Zlamushka’s spicy kitchen’

Please refer to the respective hosts for the corresponding months regarding the chosen spice and the rules to be followed. I will also maintain the list in the ‘Think Spice’ link on my navigation bar at the top of the page which can be referred to…it will be updated with the names of the hosts and also the chosen theme.

The months from February 2009 onwards, are openso if you wish to host any, please leave me a note in the ‘Think spice link’ on my navigation bar or drop me a mail , mentioning the month or months in which you would be available.

Now, star anise is one spice that I am not very familiar with, on it’s own. Therefore, I was quite eager to learn to use it in a variety of ways. And who can help me better than my fellow bloggers who came up with great ideas for using this pretty spice. From soups to vegetarian, non vegetarian dishes and to desserts, I have received them all…No more being lost for ideas now :-)

Without much more ado, here’s a round up all those lovely entries. As always, I have tried my best to include all the entries…however if you find anything missing or erroneous, please do not hesitate to drop me a mail and I will make it right at the earliest. So, here goes…

Soups…

Happy cook…Meli mello

Aparna…Mexican bread pudding

Miscellaneous…

Dhivya K…Moroccan anise bread

Deeba…Star anise marmalade
************

That’s it! Think Spice is taking a breather this month. Head over to Gretchen’s during the first week of April for a new edition of Think spice.

1 Mike of Mike's Table March 5, 2008 at 1:28 pm

That’s a lot of very interesting looking dishes. Certainly gives me a lot of new things to try and ideas to play around with–great roundup!

2 Happy cook March 5, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Wonderful round up. Never seen so much dishes with anise… ofcourse it is a abise round up what would one expect ;-) )
Well done, you have had few ppl to host the next months event……

3 Asha March 5, 2008 at 1:46 pm

YUM YUM!! So many dishes to try! Thanks for taking time Sunita, I know life gets hectic with 2 kids and home to manage.
Glad Spice continues. I will be off blogging end of this month and most of April, I might miss the next 2 but will catch up after that!:)

4 Meeta March 5, 2008 at 1:47 pm

That is a wonderful roundup Sunita. Just one entry missing – mine. Shame!

5 zlamushka March 5, 2008 at 2:04 pm

Sunita,

Thsi is a gorgeous round-up. i myself am not much familiar with Badyan (except for when baking sweets), so this was quite helpful.
I would be honored to host Think Spice… any time available.

6 Daily Meals March 5, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Great round-up! Thank you Sunita for spending your valuable time to host this event.

7 Kalai March 5, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Great roundup, Sunita! I didn’t see my entry in the list, though. Could you please add it? Thanks!

8 sunita March 5, 2008 at 2:26 pm

mike,
thanks..and yes,aren’t all those some wonderful ideas.

happy cook,
thanks…yes, it is an anisey round up alright :-D D

9 sunita March 5, 2008 at 2:30 pm

Asha,
you’re most welcome…yes, life does get hectic….but I have had a great time hosting the event.Enjoy your holiday :-)

Meeta,
Sorry for that, but I am certain that I have not received it(been regularly checking the inbox as well as the spam folder)…if you don’t mind sending it, I’d be more than happy to add it to the round up.

10 sunita March 5, 2008 at 2:43 pm

zlamushka,
Thanks…I will get back to you shortly regarding the hosting :-)

daily meals,
Thanks…well, I certainly enjoyed hosting it..has been a great learning ground for me too :-)

Kalai,
I’ve added it…sorry !!

11 Sig March 5, 2008 at 4:38 pm

Great round up Sunita… But mine is missing too… Where is my crying icon? :)

12 mimikatzchen March 5, 2008 at 5:06 pm

round up looks great, i’m sorry i couldn’t join in this month!

13 sunita March 5, 2008 at 5:28 pm

Sig,
Sorry,am still not sure why, but I seem to have missed quite a few entries…I have been checking both my inbox and spam folder…do you mind resending the link…I’ll be glad to add it .

Mimi,
Thanks and please don’t fret…join in whenever you can :-)

14 Mansi Desai March 5, 2008 at 7:12 pm

that looks like an awesome roundup Sunita!! all those “stars” look captivating:)

15 musical March 5, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Awesome round-up! Each of these dishes is beautiful.

And i still didn’t get around posting my dish….. :-D .

16 Gretchen Noelle March 6, 2008 at 12:25 am

Very nice dishes in this round up. Tasty! I am pondering the spice for April…I am so excited!!!

17 Aparna March 6, 2008 at 2:52 am

That’s a lot of “star” cooking out here!
Thanks, Sunita. You helped me discover the possibilities of cooking with this spice.

18 RAKS KITCHEN March 6, 2008 at 4:30 am

Thats really exciting to see somany dishes right from soups to desserts using star anise ! Great work sunita!

19 Raaga March 6, 2008 at 6:51 am

I’m OK with November Sunita :-)

Great round up… even I have more ideas now :-)

20 Rachel March 6, 2008 at 7:05 am

Intresting dishes..and varied at that!

21 sunita March 6, 2008 at 9:25 am

mansi,
thanks…and it is a starry round up alright ;-)

musical,
thanks…and hey, that’s fine…as long as I get to see you here with your encouragement :-D

22 sunita March 6, 2008 at 9:27 am

Gretchen,
Thanks…I’m sure you’ll come up with something nice :-)

aparna,
Well, actually thanks to all those who participated…I too had very little idea about this spice :-)

23 sunita March 6, 2008 at 9:30 am

raaga,
thanks…I’ll get back to you shortly :-)

rachel,
Thanks :-)

24 Sia March 6, 2008 at 2:26 pm

i was kind of lost when u announced star anisee now i have enough recipes to try in lifetime :) thanks suni:)

25 Sukanya Ramkumar March 6, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Excellent round up…..Love them all…

26 Archana March 6, 2008 at 4:57 pm

Lovely round up. Did not participate, but was surely looking forward to the round up :) . WOW, you are booked girl until JAN:)

27 Superchef March 6, 2008 at 8:23 pm

neat round up…never though so many recipes can be cooked up with star anise!! good choice!!

28 sunita March 7, 2008 at 9:30 am

Sia,
I myself was somewhat lost too :-D

sukanya,
thanks…and yes, they are all gorgeous entries, aren’t they :-)

29 sunita March 7, 2008 at 9:32 am

archana,
Thanks…I really enjoyed rounding up all those beauties :-)

superchef,
Thanks…well, i have been enlightened too :-)

30 Passionate baker...& beyond March 7, 2008 at 12:42 pm

What a galaxy of ’stars’ Sunita!! BEAUTIFUL!! Never thought that so much could come out of a spice so pretty. Thanks to you (& Arusuvai) I explored Star Anise; was earlier quite happy making cards with it!! Great collection…well done!!

31 Namratha March 7, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Nice round up Sunita…good to see so many dishes with Star Anise, that’s one spice I was eager to know more about too.

32 zlamushka March 8, 2008 at 7:48 am

Sunita,

THanks a lot for the opportunity. I ll be honored to host January 2009.

33 arundati March 11, 2008 at 5:46 am

wow!! this is such a treat for a star anise lover like me….thanks for being a lovely hostess….and great job done!!

34 Ramya March 18, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Hi Sunita, I think it’s wrongly mentioned as January 2008 instead of 2009 in future hostings. Please check :)