Spiced beauties…

by Sunita on March 7, 2008

Hmmm…not a very pleasant start to the weekend. Rengoni , for one, has come down with a terrible cold since last night…the poor thing didn’t look that bright and chirpy, but tried her best to be so…for there was something special in her school today, and she didn’t want to miss it ! She seemed a little better in the morning and was eager to go to school, thank goodness. So we went off to the kids school, but just as I was about to return, catastrophe struck…a tyre of my dear bike chose that moment to get punctured. So, what do I do…well, push it all the way back home :-( (…and the wind and drizzle didn’t help my bespectacled eyes either. So it was- walk and push…stop…dry my glasses…walk and push…repeat. Huff puff!!! And, of course, once I was ensconced within the shelter of the house, it was all dry again outdoors…ahh well, that’s life, I guess!!!

Now let’s dwell on the one thing that binds us fellow food bloggers …and it’s, what else, but food…and yes, mentioning that, has already uplifted my mood. Well, there are some things that one makes, and which everyone loves, but seldom gets made very often . On the other hand, there are some things that one just can’t have enough, or rather make enough, and is made over and over again. The following spiced cookies definitely fall in the second category.

They were inspired by the traditional ginger snap cookies… I did tweak the recipe a bit, hence the preference to refer to them as just spiced cookies. Mine were a bit softer and I did not make them as flat and thin as the original ones.

{Gingersnaps or ginger biscuits are a popular type of snack food and are often referred to as gingernuts in the UK. They are biscuits/cookies flavoured with powdered ginger,anise and other spices. They are sold and made worldwide and have a long history, probably dating back to medieval fairs. They generally measure 5cm (two inches) in diameter.In the United States, gingersnaps are generally round drop cookies usually between 1/8- and 1/4-inch thick, with prominent cracks in the top surface. Scandinavian gingersnaps, also called ginger thins or pepparkakor, are rolled quite thin (often under 1/8-inch thick), and cut into shapes; they have smooth tops, and are usually somewhat crisper (and in some cases, more strongly flavoured) than the American version.(from here)}

They were really loved by all of us. In fact so much that whenever Rengoni and Agastya know that mummy is baking cookies, they peek into the kitchen and ask very expectantly if they are the ones which they had loved so much…needless to say, I have had to make several batches of them, and I’m sure I’ll be making them again very soon. Here’s how I made them…

1 C wholewheat flour
3/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
a pinch of salt
4 tblsp of dark brown sugar
3 tblsp of oil
1 egg
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
a little extra granulated or coarse brown sugar for rolling the balls of cookie dough

1. Whisk together the egg, oil, sugar, and vanilla.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, soda,salt, cinnamon and ginger.
  3. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the egg mixture.
  4. Gently fold in, with a spatula until everything just comes together…do not over mix.
  5. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for an hour.
  6. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C, line a baking tray and place the extra sugar for rolling, in a bowl.
  7. Divide the mixture into 15 equal portions and shape each into a ball.
  8. Roll each ball in the sugar and place them on the prepared baking tray, a little apart from each other.
  9. Gently flatten the balls and place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven for 12-15 minutes or till the tops are firm and feel dry…(there will be visible cracks on the top).
  10. Cool in the tray for a few minutes and then transfer to a rack to cool completely before storing in air tight containers.

The kitchen really smells good when these beauties are being baked. These were delightfully spiced cookies, and felt very light at the same time…read that as an excuse to gobble up a few more :-D

Have a great weekend!

1 Asha March 7, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Sounds like my Monday, so sorry girl! Tushar got sick at school, had to bring him home, let him rest, cook lunch, run for my eye appointment, come home and cook dinner, all this while kept commenting on blogs in betn!! When it rains, it pours as they say!
Hope she is resting now. My daughter is like that too, LOVES school, NEVER misses a day even she is sick. My son is too happy to stay home though!:D
Spice cookies are delicious,never mad these yet. Have a relaxing weekend, take care!:)

2 Meeta March 7, 2008 at 3:23 pm

The cookies look really delish and the photos too. Like the style, as it looks familiar. ;-)

3 Namratha March 7, 2008 at 3:24 pm

Oh poor you, stuck in the rain! you must have been so exhausted at the end of it …!! Hope Rengoni recovers soon. Lovely cookies :)

4 sunita March 7, 2008 at 3:59 pm

Asha, yes,it definitely wasn’t a great start to the day.But it’s much better now…R seems to be more cheery and the weather’s lifted up as well.

5 sunita March 7, 2008 at 4:04 pm

meeta,thanks…we really loved the cookies…as for the pics,I don’t think they are anywhere near as good as yours :-D

6 sunita March 7, 2008 at 4:06 pm

namratha, Oh I’m fine now…it’s just that the bike broke down at the wrong time :-D

7 sandhya March 7, 2008 at 5:18 pm

The cookies looks delicious…. Have a great weekend..

8 musical March 7, 2008 at 6:35 pm

Hugs to lil’ Rengoni, hope she gets well soon. These lovely cookies sure would have done that lil’ something to cheer her up.

hugs,
musical.

9 Uma March 7, 2008 at 6:40 pm

The cookies are simply superb! Love the picture.

10 Dhivya March 7, 2008 at 7:29 pm

wow!innovative idea…these are yummy and delicious…

11 Mallika March 7, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Those must have cheered you up straightaway. They look delicious. Have a brilliant weekend.

12 Richa March 8, 2008 at 1:32 am

real beauties indeed! love how u’ve rolled ‘em in granulated sugar :) hv a fun wknd!

13 shriya March 8, 2008 at 4:18 am

WoW ! WoW ! the pics are so Inviting and tempting. Those are lovely cookies.

14 DEEPA March 8, 2008 at 5:07 am

very different and yummy cookies ….

15 Gretchen Noelle March 8, 2008 at 11:57 am

Wonderful cookies! Ginger as something in a sweet thing just has not caught on here in Peru. People think I am nuts for baking cookies and cakes with ginger. I would wind up eating these all myself!

16 Saswati March 8, 2008 at 8:34 pm

hi sunita!! the cookies look wow and the fact that it doesn’t have butter is really gr8.

17 Sig March 9, 2008 at 3:56 am

Sorry to hear about your bad day Sunita… but it was a little funny to imagine you pushing the bike in the rain, wishing you had a wiper for the specs… ;) Sorry, I am mean…. I know how hard it is to walk in the rain wearing glasses, and to top it, you had to push the bike too… Hope you are having a great weekend…

18 zlamushka March 9, 2008 at 8:44 am

stuck in the rain is never fun! But whah… i d rather be stuck in rain with a bag of these lovely cookies than without them ;-) that didnt make much sense… anyway, I love them

19 Mike of Mike's Table March 9, 2008 at 2:54 pm

These look great! I was never a huge fan of gingersnaps since they were always hard, flat things, but it looks like you took care of that! Those look like a gingersnap I’d eat any day of the week!

20 Aparna March 9, 2008 at 7:11 pm

I love gingernut cookies but they are not always available in the shops here.
Your pictures bring back the taste and now I can make them at home. So thanks, Sunita.

21 Baking Soda March 9, 2008 at 7:53 pm

These look really yum! I’d love to try them since they have wholewheat, no butter and ginger!
(just baked a tray of very buttery Dutch cookies so we need anti-dosis right?)

22 sunita March 9, 2008 at 8:20 pm

Sandhya,
thanks…glad you dropped by :-0

musical,
thanks…the li’l lady is up and about already…and yes, those are her favourite cookies :-)

Uma,
thanks…nice to have you over :-)

23 sunita March 9, 2008 at 8:22 pm

dhivya,
thanks…we did love them a lot :-)

Mallika,
Thanks…yes, they did cheer us up a lot, if I may say so :-)

Richa,
Thanks…hope you’re having a great weekend too :-)

24 sunita March 9, 2008 at 8:26 pm

Shriya,
Thanks…glad you dropped by :-)

Deepa,
Thanks…we did love them indeed :-)

Gretchen,
Yes, cooking and the way in which an ingredient is used differs so much from place to place, doesn’t it :-)

25 sunita March 9, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Saswati,
Thanks…I do try to omit the blob as much as possible…makes me feel less guilty in dishing them out.

Sig,
You meanie,you have incurred my wrath ;-) …but seriously, I was laughing myself hoarse, thinking about the swishing of wipers on my glasses…quite a sight eh!! :-D DD

Zlamushka,
Nice to know that the cookies had that effect ;-)

26 sunita March 9, 2008 at 8:37 pm

Mike,
We don’t mind them any day of the week either ;-)

Aparna,
You’re most welcome…do try them…they are quite simple to make :-)

baking soda,
Thanks…do give them a try…I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as we did :-)

27 White On Rice Couple March 10, 2008 at 1:36 am

These beautiful cookies look so elegant sprinkled with the sugar. Reminds me of gently falling snow.

28 Rachel March 10, 2008 at 7:48 am

Wow…those look so pretty..the sugar crystals and all! lovely brown too!

Hope your princess is fine now!

29 SteamyKitchen March 10, 2008 at 11:02 am

awesome photo! I want one!

30 sunita March 11, 2008 at 10:41 am

white on rice couple,
Thanks…these have become our kids’ favourite cookies :-)

rachel,
Thanks…and yes, the li’l lady is perfect :-)

Jaden,
Thanks…wish I could hand you some :-)

31 Passionate baker...& beyond March 11, 2008 at 11:01 am

These are on my list of next cookies to bake! Lovely recipe Sunita…& no butter! Great post!

32 sunita March 12, 2008 at 12:28 pm

Deeba,thanks,do give them a try :-)

33 Nandita August 28, 2008 at 4:23 am

Another one of your recipes that comes my way from Arundati ;) COokies without butter is a dream come true and ginger biscuits are my absolute favourite, trying them this very afternoon – will keep you posted..

34 Kay December 21, 2008 at 10:15 pm

Oh my goodness!!! Sunita, These are real good! I just made these. :) Really easy and really tasty. I didn’t have brown sugar, so subbed with 4 tbsp cane sugar + 1 tbsp molasses.

Thanks very much! :) I also like that that recipe is for a small batch. Which is very encouraging. Thanks Sunita, I feel so motivated to make a few other type of cookies.

You’re welcome, Kay…glad you liked the cookies…they are one of our favourites :-)

35 Kay December 1, 2011 at 3:50 am

lol!! I just made a variation of these cookies and came to say how thankful I am to have found your blog.. just realized that the above comment also was left by moi 3 yrs ago!

I took this recipe of yours and the spiced date cookies recipe and the almond crisps recipe, and with the courage that could have come only by reading and trying your recipes which are super simple yet taste awesome and flavorful, I made it gluten free, grain free (used almond flour and quinoa flakes), sugar free and oh boy! it is sooo yumm.. just like eating spicy ginger bread but just in cookie shape.

Can I say a million thanks? :) THANK YOU, Sunita!! I really appreciate you sharing your recipes so freely and for the huge inspiration!! I come back for the recipes again and again and yet again… Do write a book sometime. please?