Gales and a bake…

by Sunita on March 12, 2008

The last couple of days , we’ve seen some really blustery weather…the gale force winds constantly howled and raged and whistled throughout the nights…carrying on during the day as well, with equal gusto. Outside , it does look bright and sunny, but no sooner you step outside , that it feels as if, any moment, you are going to be swept off your feet.The trees definitely need a rest after all that swaying to and fro :-)

Now, yesterday was the day that your’s truly was born ****** years ago ( keep guessing :-D D). Being a week day, it was accompanied by the usual hustle and bustle and there was also the parents evening to attend to. Their teachers did have compliments in store for them, which I thought was the best present any parent can have; and the little mites were really proud and beaming!

But, yesterday, Dinesh and I also did something that we haven’t done, since….when? I can’t really remember. We sneaked off for a nice lunch….on our own. Actually, we urgently needed a few things and after the shopping, D suggested that we have lunch. And boy, did it feel different…I caught myself many a time looking at the empty chairs beside me…somehow it felt strange that there wasn’t anyone to attend to. Well, nowadays, the kids do behave themselves whenever we go out to eat ( well, eeerm, most of the time ;-) ), and don’t need to be tended to, much. But, it was just that we were, so not used to eating out on our own… you know, just the two of us…we’ve always tagged the li’l ones along. But, I must admit that it was a nice change. Of course, the kids got their favourites in the evening, so everyone was happy.

Talking about food, this recipe has been in my draft for a long time now. Strange that I haven’t posted it yet, for we truly enjoyed it. I must have professed our love for fish, especially salmon, (‘the pink fish’, as the kids refer to it :-) ) innumerable times. The following recipe is for a very simple, spicy salmon bake. It is very easy to prepare and does quite well on the taste front.

This is how I went about it…

500 gms of salmon fillets, cut into bite sized pieces

for the marinade-

3 tblsp of olive oil
1 tblsp roasted and roughly ground cumin
5 tblsp lemon juice
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tblsp tomato puree
1/2 tsp sugar(preferably brown)
a pinch of turmeric powder
a large pinch of ground cinnamon
a pinch(more or less) of crushed red chillies
1 and 1/2 tbsp of paprika
1 tsp parsely(dried or freshly chopped)
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl.
  2. Add the fish and rub the pieces with the marinade so that they are evenly coated.
  3. Cover and leave to marinate for half an hour.
  4. Pre heat the oven at 200 deg C.
  5. Line a baking dish with foil, leaving enough on the sides to cover the fish and seal completely.
  6. Arrange the pieces of fish on the lined baking dish in a single layer and top with the extra marinade.
  7. Pull over the extra foil to cover the fish and seal it, to make a parcel.
  8. Place the dish in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes or till the fish flakes easily, and is nicely cooked.
  9. Serve hot.

On unwrapping the parcel, prepare your senses of smell to be hit by some amazing flavours :-D

We had ours as a side dish with plain rice and some fresh salad. A last look…

1 Passionate baker...& beyond March 12, 2008 at 12:09 pm

YUM…lost for words! This is so delicous. Was hit by the flavours just looking at the pictures! Am now beginning to experiment with fish…although on shaky grounds. This does look like a definite winner! Was just back to check the temp for the spicy cookies. Dough is chilling in the fridge! Cheers!!

2 Asha March 12, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Oh, beautiful dish beyond words! Salmon is the only fish I like to order in the restaurant unless it’s Cod in Fish and Chips!:))

We had few trees coming down due to powerful wind last week too, strange weather these days.

3 Nags March 12, 2008 at 2:19 pm

this is way too yummy beyond words!! really! i am so hungry now :( time for dinner..

4 Happy cook March 12, 2008 at 2:35 pm

I am going to make this soon. I have salmon in my deepfreeze and have been looking for a new recipe.
Salmon looks really moist.
Belated wishes to you.
I know what you mean, me and hubby have not gone for a dinner alone for ages. when ever we go out for dinner we take her with us.
Now we say well lets enjoy her company as we will only have her for few more years.

5 mimi March 12, 2008 at 3:31 pm

i don’t like salmon so it would be unfair to comment on what otherwise looks like a great dish … but happy birthday!!

6 kittie March 12, 2008 at 4:18 pm

I’m not a big salmon fan – but as soon as I saw this I knew I was going to have to try it!
That’s real flavours!!

7 Shilpa March 12, 2008 at 4:32 pm

I am drooling Sunita. I have become a fan of baked salmon(thanks to Sig) these days. Will definitely try this. Its gorgeous.

8 Mona March 12, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm! That looks sooo goooood!! :-) Love Salmon! I wanna eat tat all!

9 musical March 12, 2008 at 5:55 pm

Hey, belated Happy Birthday, Sunita! Reading your post, i can see that glow on your face :) . Am glad that you enjoyed the day, with the lil’ ones giving presents their own special way.

Boy, and does the baked fish look good!

hugs,
musical.

10 sunita March 12, 2008 at 9:08 pm

Deeba,
Thanks…hope you liked the cookies :-)

Asha,
I agree, salmon is in a league of it’s own:-)…take care.

11 sunita March 12, 2008 at 9:10 pm

nags,
What’s for dinner today :-D

happy cook,
Thanks…do give it a try :-)

12 sunita March 12, 2008 at 9:12 pm

mimi,
thanks for the wishes :-)

kittie,
Thanks…I hope this dish will be able to change your opinion :-)

13 sunita March 12, 2008 at 9:14 pm

shilpa,
Thanks..do give it a try…I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as we did :-)

mona,
Thanks…would have loved to hand over some :-)

14 sunita March 12, 2008 at 9:17 pm

musical,
thanks a lot…and yes,children’s achievements are the best presents a parent can wish for :-)

15 Namratha March 12, 2008 at 11:40 pm

A very Happy Belated b’day my dear!!! It was so nice of your hubby to take you out to lunch, it’s good to take off time away from responsibilities, for just a teeny while :)

I’m a vegetarian, but the pic sure looks inviting :D

16 Coffee March 13, 2008 at 2:39 am

And that looks so inviting….. I am a vegetarian, but the pic still got my mouth watering!

Belated happy birthday to you. :)

17 Rachel March 13, 2008 at 3:01 am

Belated Birthday wishes to you!

lovely baked dish there..can see why it was a fav amongst your family!

18 Saswati March 13, 2008 at 6:33 am

first of all belated b’day wishes to you…btw i am also march born:)that salmon bake looks out of the world…have bookmarked it.

19 Aparna March 13, 2008 at 9:30 am

Happy Birthday, Sunita. Bet the lunch was a nice change. It feels odd initially when you’ve got used to eating with the little ones around!

20 Bharathy March 13, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Belated wishes to you Sweetie! Hugs!

Where there is fish I am there…the dish you have made here is tooo good dear :) ..Let me go back and drool again ;)

21 AnuZi March 13, 2008 at 9:27 pm

Sunita,
Looks beautiful and delish. I love fish. Being konkani (goan/manglorean) fish has always been a must at our house. I’m trying to prepare more fish dishes at our house…will definitely be adding to the list of must try recipes.
PS(I’m Glad to be back and drooling hehe)

22 Gretchen Noelle March 13, 2008 at 9:49 pm

Happy Birthday Sunita! I hope your day was wonderful and special as you deserve!

23 sunita March 14, 2008 at 9:52 am

namratha,
thanks dearie…and yes, although it felt strange, it was a nice change indeed!

coffee.
Yaay! I seduced you too! Now, that’s what I call success ;-)

24 sunita March 14, 2008 at 9:54 am

Aparna,
Thanks…and yes,eating out on our own definitely felt different :-)

Bharathy,
Thanks..so you to are a fish lover :-) …join the bandwagon :-D

25 sunita March 14, 2008 at 9:57 am

Anu,
Thanks…do give the recipe a try…glad to have you back :-D

Gretchen,
Thanks…yes, I did have a nice day indeed :-)

26 Anonymous March 14, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Hi Sunita. I am going to try the salmon bake for dinner next week. What if all you have is ground cumin (finely ground already purchased from supermarket) and can you substitute tomato paste for tomato puree?

Thanks for your help!

27 sangeeta February 7, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I made this dish and decided to blog about it here http://myworldfoodandtravel.blogspot.hk/2013/02/spicy-fish-bake.html. Hope you wont mind the fact that I linked the post to your blog without prior permission. Love your recipes, please keep them coming.

28 Sunita February 8, 2013 at 2:46 am

Hi Sangeeta, glad that you liked the recipe and thanks for letting me know :-)