Found it at last!!

by Sunita on March 14, 2008

One of the best things about blogging is the variety of new ingredients that one comes across. The rave reviews of a new find, along with the interaction that accompanies it makes blogging all the more pleasurable. And the pleasure is further heightened, when something catches your fancy in a fellow blogger’s space, you long for it and , finally, one day, you lay your hands on that lovely ingredient.

Ladies and gentlemen, the curly green beauty which has been seducing me for quite a while is none other than the lovely green kale.

• Kale or Borecole is a form of cabbage, green in color, in which the central leaves do not form a head.
  • It is considered to be closer to wild cabbage than most domesticated forms. The species Brassica oleracea contains a wide array of vegetables, including broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts.
  • Kale is considered to be a highly nutritious vegetable, with powerful antioxidant properties and is anti-inflammatory.
  • Kale freezes well and actually tastes sweeter and more flavorful after being exposed to a frost.(from here)

I have been longing to have it ever since I saw it in dear Suganya’s space some time ago. Like her, we too are great fans of greens, and are always on the lookout to incorporate various kinds of greens in our diet. At times, we really miss the greens vendor from back home who would come knocking from door to door in the mornings, carrying baskets of a great variety of fresh greens to choose from… one was really spoilt for choice.

But, as they say “When you’re in Rome…” so, coming back to kale, I am so glad to have discovered it …came upon it in an unexpected place and Dinesh nearly jumped as I almost shouted ‘kale! kale!’ Yes, food blogging does have it’s side effects :-)

The green was brought home, lovingly caressed and was made into a simple side dish in which it retained it’s lovely character…a simple stir fry which we really loved.

3 C of finely chopped green kale (discard the woody stalks)
1 small carrot, cut into 2 inch sticks
1/2 red onion, sliced
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 small potatoes, cut into thin pieces
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 tblsp oil
salt to taste
a pinch of sugar

For tempering-

1 tsp cumin seeds
1 whole bay leaf
1 whole red chilli

1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the ingredients for tempering.
  2. When the cumin seeds begin to splutter, add the onion and potatoes and fry for 15 -20 seconds over low heat.
  3. Add the kale, carrots and garlic.
  4. Add the pinch of sugar and season with salt.
  5. Stir well, cover and cook for 2 minutes.
  6. Stir and cook again for 3-4 minutes, keeping the flame low at all times.
  7. Add the turmeric, stir and cook covered for another 3-4 minutes.
  8. Remove from heat and serve hot as a side dish with rice or flat breads.

While cooking, do make sure to give it a frequent stir… unlike spinach, they do not produce much moisture on cooking, and so would stick to the pan if left alone for long.

There! Made it at last…and yes, this is just the beginning…we thoroughly loved this strong green…had it as a side dish with rice and a fish curry. Thanks again Sug, for introducing us to the beautiful kale.

Have a great weekend!

1 SMN March 14, 2008 at 11:30 am

hey Sunita, i hv never heard of this veggie.. must be tatsing nice..

2 sunita March 14, 2008 at 11:39 am

smn, kale is new for me too…it does taste good :-)

3 Cynthia March 14, 2008 at 12:11 pm

I’ve never seen kale in these parts.

4 Kalai March 14, 2008 at 2:52 pm

Looks wonderful, Sunita! Love kale, too! :)

5 Asha March 14, 2008 at 2:59 pm

Kale, Collard and mustard greens are always available for us year around in Southern US. They are classic soul dishes along with black eyed peas, greens and fried chicken!:D
They add bacon bits to Kale too. Kale also has highest content of Folate of all the greens, great for Women specially.
Stir fry looks fabulous, I have to buy some this weekend!:)
Enjoy, see you on Monday.

6 Nags March 14, 2008 at 3:09 pm

the first pic is so amazing. i havent seen this veggie here!

7 musical March 14, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Love this green, Sunita! Am glad you got to enjoy it finally. The first picture is a gorgeous beauty :) . It really has that crunchy texture and great taste. Love the recipe, carrots and potatoes would taste so good with kale.

Have a wonderful weekend,
musical.

8 KayKat March 14, 2008 at 5:10 pm

Yay! More kale love! Am glad the disease is spreading, I can’t quite imagine a week going by without a kale cookout nowadays!

Those pix look great.

9 sunita March 14, 2008 at 6:23 pm

cynthia,
You must be having other great greens…I haven’t seen that much of variety in our neck of the woods, so this was a great find :-)

kalai,
thanks…we love it too now :-)

10 sunita March 14, 2008 at 6:30 pm

Asha,
lucky you…and thanks for all that info :-) ,more reasons to eat kale :-D

11 sunita March 14, 2008 at 6:39 pm

Nags,
Dear,but you must have so many greens to choose from already :-D …we’re deprived souls :-(

12 sunita March 14, 2008 at 6:41 pm

Musical,
We’re so glad too…in fact we’re having a bit too much of it :-)

13 sunita March 14, 2008 at 6:42 pm

kaykat,
Yes, we’re glad to have found it too…thanks.

14 Suganya March 14, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Yay! You found kale, finally. Ain’t kale such a photogenic green? You cooked it the right way, with lotsa vegetables. First time, the texture was surprising, never expected such hardiness from a green. Am so glad to have inspired you, Sunita :)

15 Rachel March 15, 2008 at 2:50 am

Love the first pic a lot!
A nice stir fry there!

16 AnuZi March 15, 2008 at 4:33 am

Kale and carrots and peas oh my!! hehe sorry for the lame Wizard of Oz reference. I love leafy veggies…especially kale. Great recipe and beautiful pics :o )

17 Saswati March 15, 2008 at 5:50 pm

wonderful pic sunita…the dish looks like a saag dish that we prepare in eastern india with veggies.

18 Nupur March 16, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Your pictures are breathtaking as usual, Sunita! It is so true- I learn so much from my fellow bloggers too.

19 Sig March 16, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Kale is one of my favorite greens, actually I love all bitter greens… The picture of the kale is beautiful Sunita!

20 Anonymous March 16, 2008 at 6:59 pm

Can I substitue roughly finely ground cumin for roasted and roughly ground cumin
and
tomto paste for tomato puree on your salmon bake?

Thanks!

21 Siri March 16, 2008 at 8:38 pm

ok.. I am still visualizing u screaming “Kaale, Kaale..” .. hehehe.. yes, blogging does have some sweet side effects!.. the *Kale Stir Fry* looks both yummy and healthy Sunita!

Hugs,
Siri

22 sunita March 17, 2008 at 9:17 am

suganya,
Yes,after drooling over your’s, I have finally found kale…and we did love it a lot…thanks :-)

rachel,
Thanks :-)

23 sunita March 17, 2008 at 9:20 am

Anu,
Well, it’s actually…kale and carrots and potatoes oh my :-D D…thanks.

saswati,
Thanks…and I’m from the East too, ain’t I ;-)

24 sunita March 17, 2008 at 9:21 am

nupur,
Thanks..yes, learning never ends, does it?..hope Dale is doing good :-)

Sig,
Thanks…I’m so glad to have found kale at last :-)

25 sunita March 17, 2008 at 9:25 am

anonymous,
sorry for the delay in replying…has been a crazy weekend :-)
coming back to the salmon, you can easily substitute the tomato paste for the puree;as for the cumin,the freshly roasted and ground gives it a real earthy flavour, which I find quite missing in the finely ground one.But, if you’re really pressed for time, go on and use the powdered one…though I still vouch for the freshly ground one. Hope this helps :-)

26 sunita March 17, 2008 at 9:27 am

Siri,
:-D D…I did feel a bit sheepish…actually it was more like a child who had finally laid his/her hands on a favourite toy :-)