One of six…

by Sunita on March 17, 2008

My ma is the oldest among six sisters. She learnt to cook only after her marriage but, I must say that we were never deprived of a healthy home cooked meal. Her other sisters, my ‘mahis’(one’s mother’s younger sisters are so called in Assamese), do not do very badly for themselves either…each one excelling in their own style of cooking… between them, they can really rustle up a storm !

Well, there is always a storm anyway, whenever they get together…they talk endlessly, and yes, over each other…I remember deuta (father) remarking many a time,when ‘ma and gang’ got together, as to whether each one of them did really understand the other, when they were all talking at the same time. But it seems they did have a way out of it…everyone seemed to be in perfect sync with the other. God bless, they are a cheerful bunch indeed!

And talking of Leni mahi, who is just below ma…what can one say about her..the one whose eyes well up as soon as she sees another suffering…both in real life as well as on screen :-) … always ready to lend a helping hand…the one who is equally fiery and takes no nonsense from anyone. And her cooking, probably she has always been married to her kitchen too. Married into a large joint family, she seems to be forever in the kitchen dishing up for the family…as well as being the headmistress of a school and taking law exams, raising three lads of her own…this was no mean feat. It seemed as if she was forever on her feet…when did she get the time to study!! Of course, the lads are now strappy young men, she has long resigned her job in the school, has passed her law exams and now practices in court. But one thing is still the same…she still loves her kitchen. She is a cook in the truest sense…one who jumps up with joy at the sight and smell of fresh ingredients. Her veggie patch boasts of many beauties, which she lovingly picks and transforms them into smashing dishes in her kitchen. And yes, she simply adores feeding people.

And she also rustles up a mean mughlai paratha…the triangle parathas , as my kids lovingly refer to them :-) The following egg parathas are an inspiration of those. Actually, Dinesh had been dropping subtle hints about these parathas for quite a while now, untill I took pity and decided to make them. I have used milk in the dough, my own egg mixture with the available vegetables and greens at my disposal…and haven’t used any extra oil while rolling them out (Leni mahi uses water in the dough; rolls each ball of dough several times , each time greasing the rolled out dough, this makes them quite flaky)

The ones I made were quite soft. My kale obsession continues here as I added them to these parathas as well, but it is not compulsory…chop in some spinach, instead.They are quite filling and can be had on their own or with a condiment. Now, here’s how I made them…

For the dough-

5 C whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
2 and 3/4 C milk
1/3 C oil

To be mixed well with 4 beaten eggs-

1 small carrot, grated
1/2 C chopped kale or spinach
1/2 of a large or 1 small onion, finely chopped
a bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
chopped green chillies(optional)
1 C finely chopped asparagus
salt to taste
2-3 tblsp of water

Others-
oil to grease the pan for cooking the parathas.

1. Place the flour in a bowl along with the salt.
  2. Mix together the milk and oil and add to the flour.
  3. Bring everything together and then knead the dough till smooth and elastic.
  4. Divide the dough into 9 equal portions, shape them into a ball, and slightly flatten.
  5. Place the portions of dough in a bowl, cover and keep aside for 4-5 hours.
  6. In another bowl, beat the eggs and mix in the rest of the ingredients.
  7. Heat a pan and grease with oil or non stick spray.
  8. Roll out a portion of the dough to a circle of about 8 inches in diameter.
  9. Place the rolled out dough in the pan and cook over low heat for about 9-10 seconds.
  10. Turn it over and cook the other side for the same period of time.
  11. Turn over again and spread a little of the egg mixture on the paratha, keeping away from the edges by about an inch.
  12. Leave for 2 seconds and then do the following to get the triangular shape-follow the pictorial please…in step (c),after the folding, press down with a spatula to keep the shape, and let the eggs cook for a while; and then turn it over to cook on the other side as well(d)-grease the pan or the parathas a little more if they feel too dry. Then remove and repeat for all the rest of the dough. Keep the prepared parathas wrapped in foil.

The parathas were really nice and soft and the leftovers remained so even the next day, which went into Dinesh’s lunch box.

Serve the parathas hot with some pickle/raita on the side (the former is preferred) and enjoy! :-) We had our’s with some mixed pickle…yumm!

1 Nags March 17, 2008 at 10:26 am

you have outdone yourself with pics this time :)

2 Asha March 17, 2008 at 12:21 pm

Oh my!! My kids will love that Sunita. I have heard of Egg parathas, never made the before. Thanks sweetie.
I will be off blogging from Thursday, see you in May unless you have another post before 20th!:)

3 Mona March 17, 2008 at 1:44 pm

Its raining stuffed parathas everywhere in the blogosphere! They look so yummy!

4 Meena March 17, 2008 at 2:11 pm

The parathas looks delicious Sunita! What a wonderfully creative way of making the humble paratha a one-pan wholesome meal!

5 AnuZi March 17, 2008 at 2:21 pm

Sunita,
I love these Parathas! Actually had them for the first time in Singapore/Malaysia last year. The Indian community there makes these parathas with chicken/egg curry gravy for breakfast along with coffee. They add onions and lots of chillies (as per your taste of course) and man that stuff was puuuure heaven. Now I am glad to finally a recipe for this paratha!! yay.

6 Namratha March 17, 2008 at 3:10 pm

The parathas look gr8 Sunita, can’t wait to make these. The ‘triangles’ are perfect. Nice reading about your aunts, they are adorable aren’t they!! :) I have many of them too.

7 Kalai March 17, 2008 at 6:39 pm

Love your story about the aunties. I can definitely relate! The parathas look phenomenally good! Sounds perfect. :)

8 bee March 17, 2008 at 6:44 pm

what a gorgoues dish. dear sunita, are your posts not showing any more on ‘taste of india’ or did i miss them? for a while, some others’ posts had stopped showing up there as well.

9 musical March 17, 2008 at 8:16 pm

Yummy! Leni mahi’s technique of rolling paranthas and putting ghee multiple times does produce the bestest parantha’s in the world! They turn out so crispy and flaky :) .

Gosh, i am drooling as i type this :) . You cooked up quite a storm there :-D

10 KayKat March 17, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Sunita, you seriously are the paratha queen. I bow to you as I type – quite challenging to do that, really! :)

I’m not sure what to say other than “WWOOOOWWWWW!!!”

I’m making these this week, I am! And I will only have you to blame when I keel over from overeating :)

11 sunita March 17, 2008 at 8:31 pm

nags,
:-) ))

Asha,
Thanks…my kids love them too…let’s see if I can tempt you back soon ;-) …if not, hope you have a fabulous holiday :-)

12 sunita March 17, 2008 at 8:32 pm

mona,
Thanks :-) )

meena,
Thanks..it is a filling meal indeed :-)

13 sunita March 17, 2008 at 8:34 pm

Anu,
Thanks…we do love them too :-)

namratha,
Thanks…yes, the aunts are a great bunch indeed :-)

14 sunita March 17, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Kalai,
Thanks…we do love these parathas :-)

bee,
Thanks…I did notice the post not appearing in TOI…clueless as to why :-(

15 sunita March 17, 2008 at 8:44 pm

musical,
Thanks…and I do agree with you :-)

kay,
I acknowledge the bow ;-) …but seriously, it’s no big deal;I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it :-)

16 Rachel March 18, 2008 at 3:32 am

Another variety of a paratha..this looks very soft…and the pics are way too good :) )

17 Raaga March 18, 2008 at 6:29 am

lovely parathas… my mom’s the youngest of 8 :-)

18 Sia March 18, 2008 at 8:38 am

wonderful pictorial suni… i love ur write-ups and wonder how we both love to rant abt people close to our heart:)
amma makes similar parathas with paneer/cheese stuffing. its just gorgeous to see cheese oozing out from paratha:)

19 Saswati March 18, 2008 at 8:43 am

hey Sunita…i make the same parathas,only without the veggies…learnt it from my mom in law she also calls it mughlai paratha and they taste heavenly..isn’t it?my mom is eldest among the 5 sisters and i am very close to my mausis…felt very nostalgic reading that wonderful post of yours.

20 sunita March 18, 2008 at 10:06 am

rachel,
thanks…and yes, they are really soft parathas :-)

21 kittie March 18, 2008 at 10:07 am

I’d love to host Think Spice in Sept 08! Please let me know if you get this comment – I thought I had already left you one!

– Kittie

PS. Your stuffed parathas look phenomenal! :)

22 sunita March 18, 2008 at 10:08 am

raaga,
Thanks…my ma’s the oldest of 8…6 sis and 2 bros :-)

23 sunita March 18, 2008 at 10:09 am

sia,
Well, one doesn’t need to go far for inspiration…it’s all around us if we care to look at those unsung heroes :-) …your amma’s cheesy filling sounds delish :-)

24 sunita March 18, 2008 at 10:10 am

saswati,
Thanks…and aren’t these parathas good :-D

25 sunita March 18, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Kittie,thanks…got it this time :-)

26 Suganya March 18, 2008 at 5:38 pm

I can’t flip ‘em w/o spilling the eggs. The idea is fantastic, though.

27 sunita March 18, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Suganya,try letting the eggs set for a while before turning them over…make sure it’s over low heat.

28 Angel... March 18, 2008 at 9:53 pm

looks like you are a good cook..I used to make these parathas back home..yummy my mouth is watering..missing back home :(

Angel

29 Sig March 19, 2008 at 6:45 am

six sisters huh? Wow, that must have been so much fun for them growing up!!! Parathas look wonderful, thanks to your mahi for the recipe… :)

30 sunita March 19, 2008 at 9:20 am

angel, welcome to my world…btw, I’m just a home cook, passionate about experimenting with my ingredients :-)

31 sunita March 19, 2008 at 9:21 am

Sig,
The six still have fun whenever they get together :-D …and yes,those parathas were nice :-)

32 Gini March 5, 2009 at 2:26 pm

How cool is this idea. Never heard of this variation before.

33 ranjana February 17, 2010 at 2:08 am

Oh my goodness, those parathas are beautiful! I remember well over a year ago I stopped by your parathas page, Literally STOPPED!
You are an amazing paratha maker. I’ve tried and slaved over parathas, but haven’t produced a single praiseworthy paratha in well over a decade.