Mini walnut, chocolate and banana muffins (eggless)

by Sunita on August 7, 2009

Sometimes you think, that things are just not going your way. You want something and little obstacles come out from nowhere, making you think, ” Now where did that come from ?” Just when you think that you were having a smooth ride, you need to press the brakes really hard.

But, then again, there are those days, when lady luck just shines on you and everything goes too smoothly to be true. Yes, it is a special day for us. But, I will share the news a bit later. We’re nearly at the end of the puzzle; just need the last piece to fit into place. Yes, the last three days have been good for us.

But, what I can share completely is the recipe for these cute little walnut, chocolate and banana cupcakes. These were made to keep a bunch of kids ( and grown ups) happy. These eggless,sugarless but moist and chocolatey cupcakes are very easy to rustle up and great to taste. Each little cake has a melt in the mouth feel.

100 gms of dark chocolate ( I used one with 85 % cocoa content), melted and cooled slightly
1 C whole wheat flour (atta)
7 tblsp of ground walnuts
1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 banana, pureed ( I got about 5 tblsps of puree)
7 tblsp of honey
6 tblsp of sunflower/vegetable oil
1/3 C of milk
a few walnut halves for topping

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and grease ( I used non stick spray) a mini muffin tray.
  2. Whisk together the pureed banana, oil, honey and milk and keep aside.
  3. In another bowl, mix together the flour, ground walnuts, soda and baking powder.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the banana mixture. Fold in till everything is just moistened. Fold in the cooled chocolate.
  5. Fill the moulds 3/4 of the way with the mixture and top with a walnut half. I got about 48 mini cupcakes; would mae about 10 regular cupcakes
  6. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 15-17 minutes or till a toothpick inserted through the centre of the oven comes out clean. The cupcakes will be quite soft when they come out of the oven.
  7. Cool in the tray for a few seconds and remove the muffins to a rack to cool completely.

These bite sized cupcakes were simply delicious.

See how many of these little cupcakes Rengoni can hold? And there’s still room for more!

That’s how little they are , even in a seven year old’s hand!

These little cupcakes are a real treat. It’s fun popping them into the mouth. You won’t stop at one…at least, I couldn’t ;-)

1 Rosa August 7, 2009 at 11:12 pm

So cute! Those mini muffins must taste really good!

2 Sudeshna August 8, 2009 at 4:20 am

The mini cup cakes look yum. Its great to see an eggless cake preparation, thanks for sharing.

3 Mona August 8, 2009 at 11:16 am

it looks yummy.. I will surely give it a shot.. Thanks for sharing :)

4 Sonu August 8, 2009 at 11:34 am

Those mini cupcakes are so cute. :)

5 snookyy doodle August 8, 2009 at 11:58 am

these must be delicious. All those flavours in a small muffin must be explosive. Thanks for sharing you wonderful recipes :)

6 mona August 8, 2009 at 3:50 pm

You are teasing me with those cute little cupcakes in your hands! Bookmarked it to try, thanks for sharing.

7 Srimathi August 8, 2009 at 7:23 pm

It sure looks very moist Sunita. I like that you made them without sugar. Will make this soon.

8 Susan from Food Blogga August 9, 2009 at 1:40 am

These are so adorable. I especially love the pics with the little hands. :)

9 Latha August 27, 2009 at 8:55 am

It’s an unbelievably moist muffin. I baked them last night (got only 9 normal sized muffins… how sad!) and very quick to assemble. thank you so much for sharing such delectable recipes, sunita:)

10 Divya September 9, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I tried out these muffins Sunita..:).Just too good,got 9 regular sized muffins.They were gone in no time,we had it with cold milk..yumm;).Do you mind if I post the recipe on my blog,I’ll link back to you,of course!!

11 Nalini March 28, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Hi Sunitha,

I tried this recipe and the taste came out amazing but the muffins did not hold its shape and they all fell apart when I took out of the muffin tray. Do you know what could have gone wrong?
I did not have bicarbonate of soda instead I used 2 tsp of baking powder and I would have used more than 7 tbsp of walnut powder more like 8/9 tbsp but would that make a difference. BUt the taste was so amazing and so melt in the mouth soft , I want to take them to my son’s school and would like them to retain the shape. Thanks so much for posting such wondeful recipes. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts

12 Richa April 6, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Hi Sunita.. I tried baking these mini muffins and they turned out to be really spongy !
In fact most of them were gone in no time, as soon as I took them out of the oven.
The few that were left were stored in the fridge. However, when i re-heated them the next day in the microwave, they got burned and were tasting a bit dry.
Please suggest what could have gone wrong with the recipe. The only thing I did differently was to substitute honey for powdered sugar and I was out of honey!!
Kindly help!

thanks! :)

13 Sunita April 8, 2010 at 7:52 am

Replacing the honey with the sugar should not be that much of a problem, but did you reheat it for a long time? Next time just store them in an air tight container instead of the fridge. Hope this helps.

14 krithika July 3, 2010 at 12:51 am

These are amazing ! making it for the second time today. My kids love it. Thanks for this recipe.

15 Sunita July 3, 2010 at 7:50 am

You’re most welcome. Glad you and your family love them :-)

16 bobby July 17, 2010 at 12:30 pm

hi sunita, have tried some of ur recipes and must say u r a wonderful cook. m just learning to cook. just a quick question, can i make this without chocolate..i mean can i use the regular dairy milk chocolate and if we are using sugar, how much to use… thanks