In the middle of the night…

by Sunita on April 6, 2008

Hmmm, it’s the middle of the night. The kids are in bed, and Dinesh is far away (in India) …yes, he’s on a one week trip (am I jealous or what!)…but probably I’m missing him more than being envious!

You see, for the last nearly four years, we have been really lucky and, of course, a bit spoilt as well; due to the fact that all four of us have been always together…haven’t been apart for a single day! Now the empty place at the dinner table seems to be a little…well, empty. Although he left just yesterday,and for only a week, the kids too have started asking as to when their dad’s returning home. Can you imagine, they were discussing about his homecoming and Rengoni even suggested that I bake a cake to welcome him back!

So, while Dinesh is in India in the midst of a large number of loved ones (okay, okay! I admit, I’m jealous…and with a capital ‘J’), I’m clicking away on the laptop, rummaging through my pictures and came upon the following prune and nut bread.

I had made it quite some time ago, but had forgotten to post it and the pictures have been gathering dust since. So here it is…

2 C whole wheat flour
1 C porridge oats +1 tblsp extra for topping
1 and 1/2 C stoned and dried prunes, and chopped
1C cashew nuts, chopped
1 C dark muscovado or other dark brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2C of hot water
4 and a 1/2 tblsp olive oil

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and grease and flour an 8 inch loaf pan.
  2. Place the prunes and the oil together in a bowl and pour the water. Set aside.
  3. In another bowl, mix together the flour, oats (1C), baking powder, sugar, salt and nuts till well combined.
  4. Pour the prune mixture into the flour one. Mix well till the dry ingredients are moistened.
  5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top.
  6. Sprinkle the tblsp of oats on the top and bake in the centre of the pre heated oven for approximately an hour or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.

Great for breakfast or for tea times…drizzle with honey or butter it up; have a slice on it’s own or with a cuppa…this tastes great. Figs or dates would also go well with this instead of the prunes.

There! Talking about baking has made me feel better already :-)

Yaaawwn…now I better get some sleep before the little mites are awake :-)

And oh! Please do not forget to cook up something with cloves for this month’s Think spice…think cloves. This month it is being hosted over at Gretchen’s. The deadline is the 25th of April.

1 Gretchen Noelle April 7, 2008 at 1:24 am

Oh Sunita, what a strange feeling it must be to be apart if even for a week. I’m sure you would have loved to be there too! I hope you have a very special week with your kids and I am sure whatever cake you make will be a wonderful welcome home for your husband.

This cake looks tasty and I am looking for ways to use some dried figs. Yum!

2 Vaishali April 7, 2008 at 1:45 am

Sunita, what a delicious and healthy recipe, and I love that it’s vegan. I absolutely love the use of prunes in the bread.

3 Richa April 7, 2008 at 2:24 am

Sunita, that is one beautiful cake and eggless at that :) you sure know to whet my appetite late at night ;)

4 Sig April 7, 2008 at 2:35 am

You must be missing him a lot… Have fun with the kids and before you know it Dinesh will be back with a bag full of goodies… :) Delicious looking bread btw…

5 Saswati April 7, 2008 at 7:13 am

I can understand what you are feeling…hubby away and that too in India:)Love the cake…bookmarked it…what i love about your bakes are that they are so healthy…you dont use butter at all!

6 sunita April 7, 2008 at 9:25 am

gretchen,
yes it is indeed a strange feeling…one probably gets used to things…do give the bread a try…and yes, figs would be lovely too :-)

7 sunita April 7, 2008 at 9:26 am

vaishali,
Thanks…we liked the prunes too :-)

8 sunita April 7, 2008 at 9:27 am

richa,
Thanks dearie…you’re most welcome to grab a slice :-)

9 sunita April 7, 2008 at 9:31 am

Sig, it does feel a bit strange indeed :-) ..but at least the kids are around because of their spring break…they will be going back to school from tomorrow , though…then, I’ll be missing all three of them :-(

10 sunita April 7, 2008 at 9:37 am

Saswati,
Glad you noticed..I very, very rarely use butter in the loads of baking that I do.Just trying my bit :-)

11 Happy cook April 7, 2008 at 11:51 am

Delicious healthy cake. I love prunes used like this.
Wow in 4 years never been apart.
Enjoy the week of fun with the kids.
I too dislike when hubby is not home. Even after all these years when he is out of the country I hate it.

12 bee April 7, 2008 at 2:49 pm

that looks totally delish.

13 Deborah April 7, 2008 at 3:32 pm

You remind me of my sister – her and her husband didn’t spend one day apart until years after they had been married. I hope your week goes by quickly!

This bread sounds wonderful!

14 AnuZi April 7, 2008 at 4:23 pm

I cannot believe that you and you’re hubby have never been apart! Thats awesome! I wish I Bhatji and I could say that. When we were dating we were doing long distance and after marriage and a brief stint of living together, our jobs have kept us apart again. It sucks!
You’re hubby will be home soon and indulge on that gorgeous bread and never want to leave you ever again. Way to winning a man’s heat ;o)

15 Suganya April 7, 2008 at 4:33 pm

No eggs? Of course, there are enough prunes to take care of that. I so want to try this.

16 Patricia Scarpin April 7, 2008 at 4:45 pm

I have never baked nor cooked with dates, Sunita, and this is mouthwatering!

17 musical April 7, 2008 at 5:44 pm

This lovely bread would make anyone feel better :) .

A week would pass by so quick, and before you know, Dinesh ji will be home (and then you all can enjoy another yummy cake together).

hugs,
musical.

18 farida April 7, 2008 at 6:40 pm

Sunita, this looks great! I love prunes and this is going into my TO MAKE folder which is growing day after day:) Thank you for sharing these delicious recipes with us the other foodies:)

19 KayKat April 7, 2008 at 6:55 pm

Aww … I’m sure Dinesh is sitting in des drooling over what he’s missing :)

This looks insanely delicious. And I’m already scribbling out my cloves recipe for this month!

Yay!

20 bonziegal April 7, 2008 at 8:56 pm

Looks tempting! :) Question – what kind of oats should I use? Instant oats or plain, old-fashioned rolled oats?

21 sunita April 7, 2008 at 10:18 pm

happy cook,
Thanks :-)

bee,
thanks…we did love it :-)

22 sunita April 7, 2008 at 10:27 pm

deborah,
Ours has been the other way round…unlike your sister, we’ve been apart for most parts of the first 3 and 1/2 years :-)

anu,
We’ve been apart for the most parts of our first 3 and 1/2 years of our married life…continents apart…you will definitely get better…just hold on :-)

23 sunita April 7, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Sug,
Do give it a try…hope you’ll love it :-)

Patricia,
Thanks…give it a try :-)

24 sunita April 7, 2008 at 10:36 pm

musical,
Thanks for those nice words dear…I do feel cheery already :-)

Farida,
Thanks…the samr goes for you too :-)

25 sunita April 7, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Kaykat,
I’m not so sure that D will get enough time to to that though :-(

bonziegal,
Thanks…I used the plain oats :-)

26 SHUBHA April 8, 2008 at 12:03 am

wow looks delicious… is the cake too sweet?…. i dont like it too sweet…. if it comes sweet i can accordingly reduce the sugar naa…. n yaa do check my blog…

27 Tartelette April 8, 2008 at 12:23 am

Absence makes the heart grow fonder…right?!! In the meantime the cake looks like the perfect thing to have for breakfast or a midnight snack!

28 SMN April 8, 2008 at 10:40 am

Hey Sunita must tell u girl u got patinece and u a wonderful baker. the photos are so tempting.. nice combo of oats..

29 Pearlsofeast April 8, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Hi sunita,I new to ur blog and love the cake u have baked.I have used prunes for baking They turn out to be so moist.I am going try this healthy recipe.The slices look so enticing.

30 Nags April 8, 2008 at 4:23 pm

i dont know how u cud let such lovely pics and a great recipe sit idle for so long. and also, next time accompany dinesh :)

31 Kevin April 9, 2008 at 3:27 am

That bread looks so good. The prunes and nuts are so densely packed into it.

32 sunita April 9, 2008 at 8:13 am

shubha,
Thanks…we didn’t think it was too sweet…but then, of course, you can adjust the sweetness accordingly :-)

helen,
Thanks…and you’re right indeed :-)

33 sunita April 9, 2008 at 8:18 am

smn,
Thanks…I just love to bake :-)

pearlsofeast,
welcome to my world…do give this a try :-)

34 sunita April 9, 2008 at 8:20 am

nags,
:-) …well, we probably would have…but a week in India would be too stressful…need more time than that :-)

kevin,
Thanks…glad you like it…it is indeed a fruity and nutty bread :-)

35 Sia April 9, 2008 at 9:35 am

poor u:) i can imagine hw u and kids must be feeling. hope u get a chance to visit india very soon:) r u planning to visit during summer break?
and that cake is sooooooooo droolworthy suni:) just loved it. i am bookmarking it to try it some day as it has hooked me.

36 Vimala April 9, 2008 at 5:49 pm

Sunita, I am not a blogger just a reader of few blogs.Prune&Nut bread is your first recipe I tried.Substituted dates instead of Prunes.I was doubtful as it doesn’t have butter or eggs..But it turned out very good the next day. Thanks and this recipe is a keeper for sure.

37 Kalai April 9, 2008 at 11:12 pm

I’m not even a fan of prunes and that looks wonderful!! I totally understand what you mean about missing each other. Enjoy your special time with the kids and just think that the reunion will be so sweet when he comes back! :)

38 Anonymous April 10, 2008 at 4:38 am

I tried your Prune and cashew cake. This is the first time i am baking and i must tell you i could not beleive that it came out sooooo well. Thanks so much for your wonderful recipe.

Thanks
Uthra

39 sunita April 10, 2008 at 8:23 am

sia,Yes, D is missed…literally counting down the days :-( …we haven’t got any plane for a visit yet…

…as for the bread, do give it a try…hope you’ll like it :-)

40 sunita April 10, 2008 at 8:29 am

vimala, I’m so glad that you tried this out and are happy with the results. I have always believed that it doesn’t need too much butter for something to taste good :-)

41 sunita April 10, 2008 at 8:30 am

kalai, thanks…and yes, we’re just looking forward to having D back :-)

42 sunita April 10, 2008 at 8:33 am

Uthra, I’m really very pleased that your first experience of baking has been a satisfactory one :-)

43 Katie April 19, 2008 at 7:34 am

Oh wow that looks fab. SO moist, sticky, nutty and yummy.

44 farida April 28, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Hi Sunita, guess what? I just made your prune and nut bread! It turned out delicious! The only thing I noticed is that my bred is not as dark inside as yours. I really love the colors in yours. Mine is more yellowish. What do you think might be the problem? Otherwise the taste is great! This is a healthy bread, A KEEPER for us now! Thank you for sharing!

45 sunita May 2, 2008 at 8:00 pm

Farida,
Really glad to know that you loved the bread…as for the colour,was your sugar the dark brown one…I used dark muscovado sugar…can’t think of any other reason :-)

46 rita November 19, 2009 at 7:29 pm

hi sunita, thanks for wonderful recipes. one question, i tried to make fig/nut cup cakes and i didn’t use mucovado suga but normal sugar 3 tbsp and it was too little. can you tell me 3 tblsp would be equivalent to how much of normal sugar we get here in states ??