One ripe banana…

by Sunita on April 11, 2008

Yes, it all started with one ripe banana which would otherwise have made it’s way to the bin very soon. Looking for ways to make use of it, I rummaged the pantry to search for things to complement it. So that’s when the dessicated coconut was taken out. As for the rest of the ingredients, I added them as I went along.

The following coconut and banana cupcakes were made yesterday and I can’t wait to share this with you.

Well, although this is yet another simple recipe, the reason for my enthusiasm is that it’s just one of those creations that I am very happy about. The ingredients complemented each other perfectly.

Here’s how I made them…

1 egg
3 tblsp of dark brown sugar
4 tbsp milk
1 very ripe banana, mashed
4 tblsp of oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 C wholeheat flour
1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 C dessicated coconut and a little extra for topping

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and line a muffin tray ( this recipe makes 7-8 cupcakes)
  2. In a bowl, whisk together the egg, sugar, milk, banana, oil and vanilla( it doesn’t matter if little lumps of banana are left behind).
  3. In another bowl, mix together the flour, coconut (1/2 C), salt, baking powder and nutmeg.
  4. Tip the flour mixture into tyhe egg mixture and gently fold in.
  5. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases to fil them 3/4 of the way.
  6. Sprinkle the rest of the coconut over the tops.
  7. Place the tray in the centre of the pre-heated oven nd bake for approximately 20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted through the centre comes out clean.
  8. Cool in the tray for a few minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before storing in airtight containers.

The results were soft, spongy and moist cupcakes, with a light crumb, not too sweet, with the coconuts adding a nice bite and the nutmeg adding that extra flavour. The kids loved it as well. I’m really so pleased with this…literally beaming :-)

Enjoy and have a great weekend :-)

1 mimi April 11, 2008 at 11:04 am

lovely looking cupcakes! i often have the brown banana conundrum, so i’m marking this recipe for next time :)

2 sunita April 11, 2008 at 11:18 am

mimi, thanks…do try it out :-)

3 Joee April 11, 2008 at 11:57 am

Hi Sunita..

I am a avid reader of your blog. Love the way you cook and more then that the way you display. I have strated blogging after a long break. All the good wishes to you. Jyothi

4 Gretchen Noelle April 11, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Lovely looking cupcakes! I always have extra bananas and am in need of extra ideas for them!

5 Patricia Scarpin April 11, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Sunita, that is a very happy ending for a banana!
Banana and coconut are two things we love here in Brazil. Your cupcakes are beautiful!

6 AnuZi April 11, 2008 at 3:10 pm

I love the flavor or banana. I always order dessert flavored with banana in it. Your’s look no less then perfect :o ) I should really eat before I read your blog…I mean the drooling…oh the never ending drooling ;o)

7 Deborah April 11, 2008 at 3:24 pm

I love the addition of the coconut!!

8 Dhivya April 11, 2008 at 4:40 pm

love the combo!!!ur pictures are always impressive…

9 Richa April 11, 2008 at 5:15 pm

yummmmmmmmmm! that looks so tempting,Sunita!
i know exactly how u feel, i too get so excited about new recipes that i make in my kitchen like that apple apricot halwa i made last time :)
it is really such a beautiful feeling and can’t wait to share it with everyone! ur bakes always turn out extremely good!

10 Suganya April 11, 2008 at 5:55 pm

You are mighty creative, Sunita. I would have made a smoothie.. thats all :D

11 sandhya April 11, 2008 at 6:49 pm

great combo sunita…. i am sure it tasted yumm…will surely try this one…

12 Namratha April 11, 2008 at 7:06 pm

The nutmeg must have added that extra oomph, perfect!

13 sunita April 11, 2008 at 11:56 pm

joee,
Thanks for the encouragement :-)

gretchen,
Thanks…now add this to your list :-)

14 sunita April 11, 2008 at 11:58 pm

patricia,
Thanks…a happy ending indeed :-)

anuzi,
Please do eat, but leave a tiny room :-)

15 sunita April 11, 2008 at 11:59 pm

deborah,
thanks…yes, the coconut added a nice bite :-)

dhivya,
Thanks :-)

16 sunita April 12, 2008 at 12:00 am

richa,
Yes, experiments gone right does make one euphoric :-)

suganya,
But then, your smoothie too would probably be so unique :-D

17 sunita April 12, 2008 at 12:01 am

sandhya,
Thanks…we did like them…do give it a try :-)

namratha,
Thanks…the nutmeg did add to the flavour :-)

18 Jamie April 12, 2008 at 3:56 am

What a great recipe! You have such nice photos as well. Looking forward to trying this!!

19 sunita April 12, 2008 at 10:13 am

jamie, thanks…do give it a try :-)

20 Uma April 12, 2008 at 4:11 pm

lovely cupcakes and nice name. so mouth-watering.

21 Schufafrei April 12, 2008 at 7:15 pm

Coconut and banana cupcakes I think its a nice combination.

22 SMN April 13, 2008 at 8:12 am

Sunita loved the deco with that greated coconuts.. nice and tempting cakes..loved the pics too:)

23 sunita April 13, 2008 at 1:13 pm

uma,
thanks :-)

schufafrei,
Thanks…yes, the combination did work quite well :-)

24 sunita April 13, 2008 at 1:14 pm

smn,
Thanks…they came out quite nice :-)

25 ranji April 14, 2008 at 12:11 am

hi sunita..my first time here..
i am really happy to have come acrossed ur blog…ur such a talented baker…loved this banana cup cake….no butter and only 1 egg mainly took my attention to this fabulous cake…i am definitely gonna make it…thanks for sharing:)))..cheers to u

26 sunita April 14, 2008 at 8:25 am

ranji,thanks and welcome to my world…I try to keep the butter away from my bakes as much as possible…got to watch out for the family as well, don’t you think….and with the loads of baking that I do, they would probably end up overweight :-)

27 farida April 14, 2008 at 3:40 pm

this looks wonderful! Sunita, you are such a talented cook! Great recipe! Going to my To Make folder again:)

28 Gigi April 14, 2008 at 6:11 pm

Sunita, your recipes never cease to amaze me! Beautiful banana coconut cupcakes.

29 Viji April 14, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Hi,
First time Here.I cant believe you made those spongy cakes with Whole Wheat Flour.Cant wait to try it. always made cake only with APF.
Will update soon how they turn out.

30 sunita April 15, 2008 at 8:44 am

farida,
thanks…glad you like them…do give them a try :-)

Gigi,
thanks…coming from a wonderful baker like yourself, that does sound nice :-)

viji,
Thanks and welcome to my world…do give the cupcakes a try :-)

31 Saswati April 15, 2008 at 10:09 am

wow Sunita your bakes look gr8 always and no butter :)

32 Laura August 7, 2009 at 10:56 am

I’m so glad I came across this recipe! It is simply amazing how great all the flavors come together. I actually made them yesterday for my dad’s birthday and they were a huge hit! He’s been trying to watch his weight and this was the perfect non-guilty pleasure for him! (Especially since the coconut flakes at the end make it look so much like frosting). I only made a few minor changes to make it super-extra healthy for him and I’d love to see what you think!

*substituted egg with the egg whites
*substituted the milk for plain soy milk
*substituted the oil with pureed pears (I usually use applesauce, but couldn’t find any at the time)

It was great to see his reaction at how delicious they were without all the usually-fattening baking ingredients!!!

33 Sunita August 7, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Laura, I’m so glad that you tried these for your dad, and that he loved them. My dad left us for his heavenly abode quite a few years ago, but it’s nice to know that a recipe of mine has made someone else’s dad very happy.

And I loved your substitutions too.

34 Hema December 20, 2009 at 10:27 am

I tried your banana and coconut cupcakes and it came out very well. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.

My parents who are visiting us at the moment loved it. I substituted egg with an extra banana…that way I was also able to use up the bananas which were very ripe. :-)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family.

35 Lynda January 2, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Perfect! I searched for a recipe with the term, “one ripe banana” (all I had), and found your recipe, which turned out wonderfully. Truth is, I was looking for an excuse to turn the oven on. It’s 15 below zero here in Minnesota today, and something baked just seemed necessary. I wanted banana bread for the family, but with only “one ripe banana,” that wasn’t in the cards.

I’m SO happy I found your recipe. These cupcake/muffins are just right. I made only one substitution, and that was to trade some cardamom and cinnamon for some of the nutmeg. Yum!

36 Raji September 15, 2010 at 3:07 pm

baked these lovely cupcakes today and they r already finished .just culdnt believe all the healthy ingrediants giving such an amazing taste.hats off to ur creativity.

37 Sunita September 16, 2010 at 6:10 am

Glad you liked them Raji :-)

38 Marcie April 15, 2013 at 3:52 am

Have you tried adding a few mini chocolate chips? I suppose carob chips would be healthier. : )