Eggless banana -vanilla mini cupcakes

by Sunita on September 4, 2009

Recently, I have been on a mini cupcake baking spree. Actually, I find the mini cupcakes better than their bigger counterparts. Mini sizes mean that they are perfect for parties and get togethers. Over the past month, I have made  these mini walnut, chocolate and banana cupcakes; then again, for Rengoni’s birthday party, more were made.

And then, for a get together, I made more than a hundred of these mini delights in both vanilla and chocolate versions.

The vanilla version of the cupcakes were based on my mini chocolate, walnut and banana cupcakes. The nuts in the batter of these cupcakes was substituted in one batch. In the other, I kept the rest of the ingredients the same as the chocolate version- just deducted the melted chocolate.

The recipe below is of the batch I made that had a nut free batter. Filled with whole wheat flour, oats, banana and honey, and topped with sesame seeds, these made a great addition for the kids lunch boxes ( nut free is important as they are not allowed any form of nuts in their school lunchbox so as not to affect any child allergic to them). These mini bites also form light, healthy snacks.

1/2 C whole wheat flour (atta)
3 tblsp oat flakes
3 tblsp coarse cornmeal
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 very small banana or 1/2 a big one
3 and 1/2 tblsp of honey
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
3 tblsp of sunflower oil
1/6 C of milk

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C .
  2. Blend together the  banana, oil, honey, vanilla and milk and keep aside.
  3. In a bowl, mix together the flour, oats, cornmeal, soda and baking powder.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the banana mixture. Fold in till everything is just moistened.
  5. Grease ( I used non stick spray) a mini muffin tray ( I used non stick spray).
  6. Fill the moulds 3/4 of the way with the mixture and top with a walnut half. I got more than 20 mini cupcakes; would make about 5 regular cupcakes.
  7. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 15-17 minutes or till a toothpick inserted through the centre of the oven comes out clean.
  8. Cool in the tray for a few seconds and remove the muffins to a rack to cool completely.

These mini cupcakes are really handy to make. Their small size means that I can make a few and keep changing the flavours frequently. They look pretty too.

Eat them in their simple avatar…

or dress them up for a party!

How would you like yours?

Have a great weekend,

1 Soma September 4, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Oh Sunita, these are such treasures, i can see my DDs smile in glee if they see this in their box.. cup cakes for lunch? Mama must have really gone crazy they will think:-) they are good, & full of good things in them.

2 Rosa September 4, 2009 at 11:41 pm

Those look so pretty and delicious!

3 musical September 5, 2009 at 1:55 am

Lovely lil’ treats, Suni!

4 vandana goswami September 5, 2009 at 2:11 am

Love this recipe. Very easy and very healthy. :) . I am always looking for sugafree adaptations of regular recipes. This looks very adaptable.
Vandana

5 Sharmila September 5, 2009 at 2:19 am

Every snap is an inspiration to bake. Such beauties Sunita! :-)

6 Sudeshna September 5, 2009 at 3:17 am

Sunita,
They are looking awesome. Is it possible to prepare them in the cupcake micro-safe paper moulds in MW?

7 Ivy September 5, 2009 at 7:35 am

Dear Sunita,
Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for all your support.
Your cupcakes look beautiful and indeed sound very healthy, a recipe I will definitely try in the future. Happy belated birthday wishes to Rengoni.
Hugs, Ivy

8 Aparna September 5, 2009 at 8:18 am

These little cupcakes, especially the pink ones look so absolutely pretty.
Rather belated wishes to both Agasthya and Rengoni on their birthdays too.

9 Sonu September 5, 2009 at 8:53 am

Gorgeous cupcakes! :)

10 snacksgiving September 5, 2009 at 3:55 pm

They look lovely!

11 dee September 5, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Look at me , Im on a vadcation, dropped by when I saw your post on my reader !! finally , nutfree and egg free, my mom will be here next week and she has a sweet tooth ! Im sure to make them for her :) Thanks dearie , for making my dream come true :P .. u know what I mean…

12 Shri September 6, 2009 at 2:57 am

Absolutely pretty, Sunita!

13 Nirmala September 7, 2009 at 5:16 am

Lovely cuties. You know what ? I baked a whole batch of mini cupcakes yesterday. They were a basic yogurt brownsugar cupcakes and I flavored them with cinnamon. Have not tries baking with atta. Should try sometime.

14 Sushma Mallya September 7, 2009 at 7:39 am

Hi sunita……u got a very lovely blog with many Nice recipes…And this cup cakes looks delicious and yum…nice click as well

15 Roma September 16, 2009 at 9:51 am

Awesome! You are a pro at baking muffins!

16 khadish September 26, 2009 at 3:55 pm

HI

so nice to no dat our indians r flourishing outside india!!!! u doing good with this website of ur own.. so u dont work or nehting u r a cook on ur own.. n what does ur husband do?
thanks

17 krithika March 13, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Thank you so much !! I made it this morning and they are perfect in every sense. Perfect taste, portion and ingredients. One problem though, they were gone in a no time. Have to make another batch ;-)

18 AK August 27, 2011 at 9:38 am

Hi Sunita, great blog. I was wondering, what else could you use in place of – “coarse cornmeal”.