Is it healthy?

by Sunita on May 12, 2008

”Is it healthy, mummy?” Yes, that is a question that I am asked at least a couple of times during mealtimes , and I say to myself, ”well, you asked for it”.

Once the children started going to school, I, like all moms, tended to worry as to whether they will eat well at school ; whether, left to their own device, they will still choose the healthier options. Will they miss out on the veggies and fruits that I painstakingly try to incorporate in their diets ? But, inspite of my fears, I did trust them to make the right choices.

Actually, I firmly believe that it is never too early to make children see the goodness of healthy food and it is never too young to make them realise this. Even when they were quite young, if they fussed about any particular ingredient, I tried my best to make them see how it was good for them and how every fruit and vegetable and milk and many other ingredients were important in their own way. They now know names like protein and carbohydrates and calcium and vitamins and fats…can even relate these labels to most of the food. Of course, they do it in their own way…like, they love to say, while sipping milk from their cups, that it has calcium and will make their bones and teeth stronger. They even try to convince me that theirs have already become so after drinking it. I think children like to relate to things like that. They are also aware that if they eat more healthy food, the occasional sweetie will not harm them.

Of course, all this did not come easy, especially for Agastya. Well, he was quite good with vegetables and would happily munch on broccoli and cabbage and cauliflower and what not. But there were certain things, especially fruits that he was not at all keen on. And of course, I, like every other mom used to worry about this. To such an extent that I used to spend many a minute with a single grape or a piece of apple or a banana in my extended hand. I tried playfulness and at times a little cajoling and firmness. I heaved a sigh of relief every time he took a bite. Gradually, the one grape became many more, the one piece of apple has definitely increased in number. Nowadays, he happily enjoys his fruits and I don’t worry if he does not feel like having every variety…well, at least he is eating nine out of ten. The boy who used to cringe at the sight of fresh tomatoes and fruits now happily gorges on them.

As for Rengoni, well, touchwood, but she has never been too fussy…absolutely loves fruits snd would happily munch on raw carrots and cucumbers anytime, and the few vegetables that she does not like…well, what is the age old sneaking trick that mothers resort to, for?

I love talking about food with them, especially when they too show an eagerness for it. And they love watching the different cooking techniques…watching how a roti puffs up over naked flames, the flipping of their favourite pancake, having a feel of the dough, watching the muffins and cakes rising up like magic, the biscuits and cookies, spreading while baking. And I really enjoy the looks of wonder on their little faces. Many a time, they ask me how I made or baked something, which I am all too eager to answer as simply as I can.

Of course, all this said, they are still too young, have miles more to go, and the temptations to make them digress are far too many… just hope that I can still try to help them make the right choices today for a healthier tomorrow.

Now, very often, we indulge in little baking sessions. The li’l ones really enjoy assembling the ingredients, adding them one after the other, trying to remember all that went in, having a go at breaking an egg or whisking the batter, or shaping the cookie dough… yes, they love it. And what better way to talk about food than when cooking something. Of course, it does get a little messier than usual, but the enthusiastic and joyous faces make it worthwhile.

I made the following chocolate chip cookies with my little helpers during their last Easter break.

They are very basic and not too sweet and we had a great time making and eating them.

1and 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C rolled oats
a pinch of salt
1/3 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
3 and 1/2 tsp dark brown sugar
5 tblsp of oil
7-8 tblsp of milk
a handful of chocolate chips

How to -

1. Pre heat the oven at 170 deg C and line a baking tray.
  2. Mix together the sugar, oil and milk.
  3. In another bowl, mix together the flour,oats, soda , salt and chocolate chips.
  4. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and mix together ( the mixture will be quite crumbly).
  5. Make 16 -17 balls (again, may not be very smooth) from the mixture and place them a little apart from each other on the prepared tray.
  6. Flatten the balls, keeping them quite rough looking.
  7. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or till firm and golden round the edges.
  8. Cool on the tray for a couple of minutes and then transfer to a rack to cool completely before storing in air tight containers.

That’s it! The cookies are now ready to be served to two budding and ”a little impatient to lay their hands on the cookies” chefs :-)

As for the answer to ”is it a healthy treat, mummy?”… I ponder, and then, biting into one of the cookies, I answer, ”well, darlings, I think it is.”

1 Daily Meals May 12, 2008 at 11:01 am

Healthy cookies Sunita!

2 zlamushka May 12, 2008 at 12:15 pm

healthy, indeed, Sunita. You sure make great choices for your kids.

3 Asha May 12, 2008 at 12:25 pm

HeHe! Yeah, it’s new trend for kids! Trisha used to pack sandwiches with Ham, cheese and Mayo. Now she takes bread and ham, that’s all with bit of “healthy” chips with low salt and a diet Cranapple drink for lunch!!
Well.. cookies are always welcome, healthy or not. Looks yummy!:)

4 Sukanya Ramkumar May 12, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Hi Sunita… Those cookies looks great…. YUM!

5 Gretchen Noelle May 12, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Wonderful! I am amazed and awed when I see children with a mind to know what is good and bad to eat. I was not taught that as a child and am envious of little ones who already know it is important! Great job giving them healthy treats too!

6 Namratha May 12, 2008 at 3:26 pm

This was a nice read Sunita :) I was smiling all along, the kids must have been thrilled with the fruit of their labour..I bet none of these cookies survived more than a few minutes!

7 bee May 12, 2008 at 4:03 pm

it looks healthy. but is that crisp mommy? i like them more than chewy ones. :D

8 Uma May 12, 2008 at 4:30 pm

splendid cookies! Your little helpers sure did a great job.

9 Divya Vikram May 12, 2008 at 5:36 pm

looks healthy and crunchy..

10 Jayashree May 12, 2008 at 5:38 pm

Reading this brought a smile to my face….Iam now waiting for my daughter to grow into that stage so we can “cook” together :-) )

11 Sandeepa May 12, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Kids know about healthy stuff don’t they ? S keeps on asking me the same for most of the food, and she asks whether it is a “Thumbs Up”, “Middle” or “Down” :)
With some food I myself am not sure what to say :D

12 sunita May 12, 2008 at 6:43 pm

vijaya,
Thanks :-)

Zlamushka,
I just try to do my bit…time will tell :-)

13 sunita May 12, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Asha,
Once the children start to realise and begin to take the healthier options, half the battle is won :-)

sukanya,
thanks :-)

gretchen,
We were lucky in this regard…my ma used to make a point to tell us which food was good for what…so probably we’ve sort of inherited that trait :-D

14 sunita May 12, 2008 at 6:56 pm

namratha,
:-D …yes, they were polished off in no time :-)

bee,
They were crispy, my darling, so you should have no problems with them :-) …but some of us like the chewy ones too :-D

Uma,
thanks…yes, they do like to help and can’t stop praising their work :-)

15 sunita May 12, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Divya,
thanks :-)

Jayashree,
Your li’l one will grow up in the blink of an eye…thay all :-)

sandeepa,
I wait with bated breath for that thumbs up :-) and yes, sometimes I too am lost for words :-)

16 Kalai May 12, 2008 at 8:15 pm

These look very tasty, Sunita. However, I’ve always been a sucker for the chewy variety. Still, these would make for a wonderful treat! :)

17 Richa May 12, 2008 at 8:55 pm

cookies looks so nice, Sunita! one more to add to my ever growing list of ‘to-try’ ;)

18 Susan from Food Blogga May 13, 2008 at 12:24 am

I don’t think I’ve ever heard my nieces ask if a cookie is healthy! That’s fantastic!

19 Siri May 13, 2008 at 12:49 am

these look truly healthy and heavenly.. I like chewy ones..:D

Siri

20 farida May 13, 2008 at 4:24 am

Yum yum! Healthy too. You are a great mom. I wonder if these cookies are soft and chewy. That’s how I prefer them. Not on a crispy side.

21 Rachel May 13, 2008 at 4:32 am

I enjoy cooking up little foods with my little helper..she loves cutting the cookies with the cutter…

I love your iregular cookies..and being of a chewable consistency makes it all the more likeable…

22 sunita May 13, 2008 at 8:48 am

siri,
thanks…I like them chewy things too :-)

kalai,
thanks…sorry, these were not so chewy :-)

richa,
thanks sweetie…do give them a try…btw, hope you’re doing great :-)

23 sunita May 13, 2008 at 8:55 am

susan,
mine do, but sometimes, it is a little too much and i am numbed :-)

farida,
Thanks…well, I like both :-)

rachel,
yes, mine love cuting up cookies too…don’t you love those sessions with your li’l one :-)

24 Passionate baker...& beyond May 13, 2008 at 9:22 am

These are great Sunita…my kids also sometimes ask if stuff is healthy, but they’ve become smarter as they’re growing up!! Have tagged you for a top 10 photograph thingy (details on my blog)…am sure you will do more than justice to it! Cheers Deeba

25 Sia May 13, 2008 at 1:54 pm

LOL suni, u did ask for it ;) IMHO, kids r really smarter than what we used to be. its really gr8 to know how they put health factor before eating.
and that cookies, healthy or not i would gladly hog at least half a dozen of them without even thinking abt health factor ;)

26 Lisa May 13, 2008 at 4:31 pm

This is a fantastic recipe! As I get older, I find I prefer savory to sweet. Though these are not exactly savory, they certainly contain less sugar than your usual chocolate chip cookie.

27 Cham May 13, 2008 at 7:51 pm

If i see such elegant crisp cookies, i will not even think about the health factor :) Great and smart kids…

28 Mandira May 14, 2008 at 2:31 am

Sunita, that is so good that your kids are conscious from now on. The cookies look delicious :)

29 Elle May 14, 2008 at 4:14 am

Cooking with kids is sooo good for them, no matter what you are cooking. Great thing to do Sunita! I could use one of those cookies right now :)

30 sunita May 14, 2008 at 7:52 am

deeba,
thanks…will try to take up the tag :-)

sia,
you’re right…they are so much more clever and probably even more matured …so, you’re back to the normal gring now ?:-)

31 sunita May 14, 2008 at 7:53 am

lisa,
Thanks…and yes, these do contain much less sugar…do give them a try :-)

cham,
thanks dear :-) )

32 sunita May 14, 2008 at 7:56 am

mandira,
Thanks…they are still so young, hope they are still conscious when they grow up and may not have me around most of time :-)

Elle,
I really enjoy those little sessions with them , and they seem to love it too :-)

33 SMN May 14, 2008 at 11:55 am

Sunita,

These are my fav..thnx for the recipe

34 Pearlsofeast May 19, 2008 at 10:37 am

Oh sunita,I loved the write up because I too feel the same about the fruits and veggies esp when dealing with the kids.
The cookies are really lovely and I showed my son , he was excited to see that since he does have the same car,green ones u have displayed. He was very excited.

35 Superchef May 21, 2008 at 12:59 am

thats a lovely post!!

36 sunita May 27, 2008 at 10:36 am

smn,
You’re most welcome :-)

pearlsofeast,
Thanks…yes, being parents , one does tend to be concerned about the eating habits of one’s kids..glad to know your li’l one loved looking at the pictures :-)

superchef,
thanks :-)

37 Lakshmi February 9, 2009 at 11:29 pm

Sunita, I made these last night and came out awesome. Thx for the delicious and healthy recipe

38 Sunita February 9, 2009 at 11:37 pm

You’re welcome, lakshmi, glad you liked them :-)