On the run…

by Sunita on May 19, 2008

Another new week, another new day. After quite a hectic weekend, I must say, that, it is really nice to get back to some sort of routine. Although, that does mean, no more early morning snoozing. The heart, does want to catch those few extra minutes under the cosy duvet (yes, its chilly again)…but the mind rules against it, and wins.

And, then, the next few hours of madness start… the phrase ”hurry up, please!” being dominant in almost every other sentence, and accompanied by the frequent glances at the time. I have two, but my ma had three kids… and not a moment passes when I don’t salute her!

In all the hectic rushing through the long list of things to be done for the children and myself to get ready and ride to their school, it’s a wonder that I manage to squeeze in my breakfast as well. Although, it is usually done in bits and always standing, while rushing through and trying to be at a million places at the same time. I know, all you moms out there must be nodding your heads in agreement at the familiar scene :-)

Now, talking of breakfast, I made these orangey wheat squares filled with the goodness of fruits, nuts and seeds.

They make for a great breakfast on the run and are filling as well. Keeps one going for quite a while. Rengoni and Agastya also like to have them as ‘after school snacks’.

Here’s how I made them…

2 C of wheat flakes
3 tblsp porridge oats
4 and 1/2 tblsp of dark brown sugar
4 tblsp oil
a handful of raisins
a handful of hazelnuts, chopped
7-8 dates, pitted and chopped
2-3 tsp of mixed seeds(I used pumpkin, sesame and sunflower)
juice and grated zest of two oranges
1 egg, lightly beaten

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and line an 8 inch, square baking pan.
  2. In a bowl, mix together the raisins, dates, nuts, orange zest, seeds, wheat flakes and oats.
  3. In another bowl, whisk together the sugar , oil and orange juice.
  4. Add the orange mixture to the wheat flakes mixture and mix well.
  5. Add the beaten egg and mix well.
  6. Tip the mixture into the prepared pan and bake in the centre of the pre -heated oven for 30-35 minutes or till firm and a toothpick inserted through the centre comes out clean. The top will be lightly browned and the edges will be slightly crisp.
  7. Cut into squares and cool completely on a rack before storing in air tight containers.

Your ‘on the run’ breakfast/snack is now ready to be enjoyed. They are soft and chewy, and I guess , guilt free.

Have them on their own ; or, if you are not rushing around, and are feeling indulgent, have them in style…crumble a few squares, and top with yogurt and honey! Yummy!!!

1 Asha May 19, 2008 at 11:33 am

I have been having hectic 2 weeks so far, so many exams for the kids, still one more week to go!:)

Great bar to have in tme morning, yummy!

2 Rachel May 19, 2008 at 11:40 am

I definitely need one now to keep myself going!!!!

3 indosungod May 19, 2008 at 11:47 am

The bar is healthy and delicious as well, what more can we ask for a hectic morning. I am looking at the calendar and marking off the days to the end of the school year.

4 SMN May 19, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Great bar to hv it in the morining.. im too in a run with work.. wish i can hv some of those.

5 bhags May 19, 2008 at 1:32 pm

nice orange bar breakfast….the days are getting hectic ad we need these kind of quick preps

6 Aparna May 19, 2008 at 2:56 pm

This is a great idea.
My daughter is going back to school after vacation beginning of June and the routine will start. She has started becoming fussy about her food sometimes and its tough to balance taste and nutrition.

7 Ben May 19, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Anything orangey is good, and these squares look divine. They are making me hungry.

8 Laavanya May 19, 2008 at 4:19 pm

That bar looks so good and that bowl topped with yogurt and honey – droolworthy.

9 lastminute urlaub May 19, 2008 at 4:31 pm

I like the bar. I want one for me .thanks.

10 ranji May 19, 2008 at 5:40 pm

the orange squares looks so delsih!!!yummy..and healthy too..

11 sunita May 19, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Asha,
I’m sure Trisha and Tushar are doing well…andf yes, we did enjoy the squares :-)

rachel,
Wish I could really offer you some sweetie :-)

ISG,
Thanks…we too are looking forward to the kids’ half term next week :-)

12 sunita May 19, 2008 at 5:59 pm

smn,
Thanks…yes we really loved them…wish I could offer you some :-)

bhags,
Yes, simple , healthy recipes are always welcome :-)

aparna,
thanks…yes, kids and their moods…it’s a real challenge sometimes, isn’t it :-)

13 sunita May 19, 2008 at 6:02 pm

ben,
thanks…we love our oranges too…now go and eat something :-)

laavanya,
thanks…I loved that combination in the bowl…it was heavenly :-)

lastminute urlaub,
Thanks…wish i could offer some :-)

ranji,
Thanks…we did love it indeed :-)

14 Meeta May 19, 2008 at 7:40 pm

My kind of food. AS we all have busy schedules we make it a point to take time for breakfast and dinner. It’s something I do not mind getting up a few minutes earlier for because the moments we spend together are to precious.
But we too have our moments of chaos and rush. However, these bars – they should by indulged in peace and quiet!!

15 Richa May 19, 2008 at 8:37 pm

love ur bakes :) will take this as a crumble, slurrrrp :)
and yes dear, will be very happy to send my ‘pots de creme’ for the event :)

16 Sagari May 19, 2008 at 8:58 pm

healthy and lovely looking bars sunitha

17 sunita May 19, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Meeta,
You’ve just said it…ultimately the few extra minutes of comfort can easily be given up…and yes, we really enjoyed these squares :-)

richa,
thanks…i too loved it that way :-) …and yes, your’s is a lovely entry :-)

sagari,
thanks :-)

18 Divya Vikram May 19, 2008 at 9:47 pm

love to have it with yoghurt and honey as in your last picture

19 Uma May 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Gorgeous bars! Just looking at the pictures making me hungry! I want that bowl of bars with yogurt and honey now! Thanks for sharing such a healthy snack bar, Sunita!

20 Priya May 20, 2008 at 1:56 am

I tried my hand at making granola bars last month and over roasted the oats a bit giving the whole thing a slightly burnt taste :D I enjoyed it nevertheless, but could not bare the whole batch :) )
I like the citrus touch to your bars, will try them and try to be a lil more careful this time. Because as of now, I cannot miss my extra 5 mins in bed :D
P.S: Had a typo in my prev comment.

21 Gretchen Noelle May 20, 2008 at 2:53 am

This looks delicious. I especially like the one crumbled. Yum!

22 Jayashree May 20, 2008 at 3:34 am

That first pic has me drooling….

23 Red Chillies May 20, 2008 at 3:34 am

Looks delicious and especially the last one is divine, Sunita. Is there any substitute for wheat flakes?

24 Baking Soda May 20, 2008 at 5:59 am

Nodding here Sunita!
These are looking very nice, hang in there, we still have another couple of weeks to go and then it’s summer break!

25 Srivalli May 20, 2008 at 6:13 am

those bars look lovely sunita..you are one great lady to come out with these delicious fillers!..

26 Nags May 20, 2008 at 7:12 am

i know what u mean by getting into the routine is so much relaxing after a break. i am trying to do the same :) thank you so much for visiting my blog while i was gone :)

27 Suganya May 20, 2008 at 8:28 am

Hmm… Sunita, I have tried so many new things over the past few weeks, and my list isn’t done yet. Adding wheat flakes to my never-ending list.

28 zlamushka May 20, 2008 at 9:10 am

hey, wonderful orange squares. how wonderful for breakfast..

29 Purnima May 20, 2008 at 11:20 am

Sunita, this sure looks yum! Wd try it for my kids..in non rush hour though ;)

30 Patricia Scarpin May 20, 2008 at 12:55 pm

Those would make my mornings so much better, Sunita!

31 Shilpa May 20, 2008 at 7:44 pm

They are beautiful Sunita.

32 Jamie May 20, 2008 at 9:33 pm

This looks so lovely. That last picture made my mouth water!

33 Madhuram May 21, 2008 at 12:38 am

It’s indeed a decadent yet healthy breakfast, with wheat, oats for fiber, hazelnuts for good fat and raisins for antioxidants and altogether very tasty.

On another note, thank you very much for dropping by my blog and leaving your comments Sunita. It means so much to me. I started my blog inspired by you, Indira and Shilpa. So seeing your comments really motivates me very much. Actually if you see the initial posts in my blog its your cumin cookies and coriander rostis. Thank you once again Sunita.

34 Siri May 21, 2008 at 2:38 am

thats one indulging breakfast sunita.. yummy!..I got reminded of my school days where my mama used to say ‘hurry up please’ a zillion times..there used to be no cornflakes or quick breakfasts, so mama had to make 3 courses in the morning itself..Hats off to all working moms..:D

Siri

35 sunita May 21, 2008 at 10:51 am

divya,
I liked having them that way too :-)

Uma,
You’re most welcome..with ever hungry kids around, these were real life savers :-)

priya,
I haven’t tried my hand at granola just yet, but we enjoyed these bars…as for the extra 5 minutes,still wishful longing for me…wel maybe next week, when it’s the kids’ half term :-)

gretchen,
thanks…btw,how’ve you been…haven’t been able to check up on you for a while now :-)

36 sunita May 21, 2008 at 10:57 am

jayashree,
thanks dear :-)

RC,
Thanks…as for the wheat flakes, maybe you could use some whole grain oats.

baking soda,
Thanks…the kids’ summer break doesn’t start till the end of July, but it’s their half term next week :-)

srivalli,
thanks dear…

37 sunita May 21, 2008 at 11:03 am

nags,
Yes, it is definitely good to be back into some sort of schedule after a break…hope you’re enjoying your new life in new settings :-)

sug,
I know, the list never ends, does it :-D …do give them a try :-)

Zlamushka,
thanks…we did enjoy them indeed :-)

purnima,
thanks…do try them in your ‘non rush hour’ :-D

38 sunita May 21, 2008 at 11:07 am

patricia,
thanks…they definitely brightened up ours :-)

shilpa,
thanks :-)

Jamie,
Well, now you can make them too :-)

Madhuram,
Thanks for those nice words…glad to be able to inspire you…you’re doing a great job yourself :-)

Siri,
Thanks…and yes, our moms definitely had to toil harder :-)

39 TS May 21, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Those are beautiful! I love this with some fruit or vanilla yogurt too.
Very nice and easy recipe, Sunita.

cheers, trupti
the spice who loved me

40 suma July 28, 2010 at 6:53 am

What a treat for breakfast and double delight to have these with ice cream!!! Yumm.. yummm!!! Would this work if I made this with only rolled oats?? Would be lucky if I found wheat flakes ..