On Fridays and a chocolate and yogurt cake (eggless)

by Sunita on October 2, 2009

I love Friday evenings. I love the feeling of break from the mundane, that  Friday brings. I love the feeling that means, tomorrow, I need not jump out of bed to face the chilly,still – dark morning. Yes, snuggling under the warm duvet for a few more minutes won’t hurt.

When I was growing up in India, Fridays had no such significance. When I was in school, Fridays meant studying late into the night, preparing for the weekly test on Saturday. Yes we had to go to school on Saturdays (half days) and most people went/still go to work on that day.

Of course, now,  we do  not sleep the whole day on Saturdays and Sundays or just laze around all the time. Actually, it’s far from it; and in some ways, quite a lot needs to be done on those two days. Two active kids around the house also means more clean up. We have some of our more elaborate meals on weekends so that all four of us can take time to enjoy it. For the kids, weekend also means getting on with their homework  and going out for their various activities. Weekend also means making a trip to shop for that particular thing that requires us to get out of town.Yes, in some ways, weekends are even busier.

But, inspite of everything, I must say that I still look forward to Friday evenings. What about you? Do you look forward to the weekends? Are your weekends busy?

As we are talking about feeling happy, here’s acake that made me quite happy too. It is an eggless chocolate yogurt cake. This is one of those cakes which are moist and indulgent; which beckon you to have “just a little piece” everytime you pass by it. This chocolate and yogurt cake actually came about from a girly chat between me and Rengoni.

The more she is growing, I somehow feel that she quite enjoys these rare one to one moments. So, while Dinesh and Agastya were engaged in some ”blokey stuff”, we girls got down to baking. Agastya was actually a bit disappointed that he did not get to help in making the cake, for he really enjoys it. We promptly made plans for another one “very soon”.

Between bouts of chatter and giggles, me and Rengoni got down to business and the cake was done. And hmmm, it was “GOOD”…rich, moist and decadent.

150 gms of plain chocolate, melted and cooled
3/4 C of whole wheat flour (atta)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 tblsp of roughly chopped cashew nuts
5 tblsp of plain yogurt
5 tblsp of muscovado sugar
6 tblsp of sunflower oil

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and line an 8 inch round pan with foil.
  2. In a bowl, mix together the flour,baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and the chopped cashew nuts.
  3. In another bowl, mix together the yogurt, sugar and oil.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the yogurt mixture and fold in till everything is moistened.
  5. Fold in the melted and cooled chocolate.
  6. Transfer the thick batter to the prepared pan and smooth the top.
  7. Place the pan in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 20-22 minutes or till the edges begin to brown slightly. It will still be soft in the centre.
  8. Cover the pan with a piece of foil ( to prevent over browning) and bake for another 13-15 minutes or till a skewer inserted through the centre of the cake comes out clean.
  9. Cool the cake in the pan for a few minutes. Remove the foil, transfer to a rack and cool completely before slicing and storing in an air tight container.

This id a soft, rich, slightly crumbly cake. It does not rise that much and may very slightly sink in the centre. It tasted great…an absolute indulgence.

Have a great weekend everyone!

1 Nicisme October 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm

It must be lovely to have a daughter to share your time with. I’ve only got boys, but I know they’d enjoy baking this cake with me, it looks wonderful!

2 Sunita October 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Thanks Nic. And yes, My li’l boy loves baking with me too :-)

3 Rosa October 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Great combo! That cake looks delicious!

4 Sunita October 3, 2009 at 9:57 am

Thanks Rosa:-)

5 Munni October 2, 2009 at 11:41 pm

Wonderful, the cake looks delicious. Yep, like you said I’m a bit more relaxed knowing that its weekend !!!
Its amazing how soon kids grow up !!!
Happy Weekend to you & your family.

6 Sunita October 3, 2009 at 9:51 am

7 musical October 2, 2009 at 11:46 pm

Ah! The times when Saturday was NOT a day off :) . Saturdays were always something everyone looked forward to, though-what with the half day and sometimes “no uniform days” :) :) .

This cake is totally my type, so moist and yummy!! And it has cashews, yum yum yum! I love chocolates and nuts, especially when spoken of in the same breath :) .

8 Sunita October 3, 2009 at 9:51 am

Our’s was “white uniform” days :-) And yes, chocolate and nuts in a single breath sounds just like me :-)

9 arfi October 3, 2009 at 12:57 am

looks moist, sunita. great thing to spend on Friday :) )

10 Sunita October 3, 2009 at 9:54 am

Thanks Arfi :-)

11 Poornima October 3, 2009 at 1:48 am

The cake looks really tempting Sunita and it uses stuff we have at home. Gonna make this soon, thats for sure.

12 Sunita October 3, 2009 at 9:53 am

Please do :-)

13 Sharmila October 3, 2009 at 3:14 am

It does look so moist! Am still trying out my hand at baking … yogurt in a cake sounds new. This looks easy … maybe I can make it too! Lovely looking snaps Sunita!
And thanks for the reply to my question in the previous post. :-)

14 Sunita October 3, 2009 at 9:55 am

Of course you can make it Sharmila. Give it a go.

15 Avisha October 3, 2009 at 5:27 am

I am new here and just happen to look for an eggless cake just a couple mins ago.I just loved the recipe. No maida and cake made with wheat flour and cashewnuts .Now who would not love cashews in a chocolate cake.The cake looks yummy!!! This is sure on my bake list.

16 Sunita October 3, 2009 at 9:53 am

Welcome Avisha. glad you like the look of the cake. Do give it a try :-)

17 Divya Vikram October 3, 2009 at 5:35 am

Amazing pictures and apretty cake!

18 Sunita October 3, 2009 at 9:52 am

Thanks Divya :-)

19 Shyam October 3, 2009 at 7:49 am

Yep, I love Friday evenings for EXACTLY all the reasons you mentioned :-) And if I have a snooze on a Saturday afternoon, it’s all the nicer for knowing that I wont need to worry about ruining my sleep for that night, or having to get up for work the next morning! :)

20 Sunita October 3, 2009 at 9:52 am

Happy weekend Shyam :-)

21 priya October 3, 2009 at 11:06 am

oh well i still indulge in the late morning cudling under the duvet with my son…….hubby prefers to get up early and surf the web….and no!!!! he does not even think of making breakfast for us…….we were luckier we had saturdays and sundays holiday in school…….

i made a similiar cake a few days back but used skimmed milk instead of curd and used a lot of shredded coconut….looked almost the same in texture to urs……..there wasn’t any left though to slice and keep

22 Meeta October 3, 2009 at 1:48 pm

yup fridays is the best day in the week for me too. and if i’d get a bite of this cake then it would be even better!

23 Priya October 3, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Whats not to love about cashews and chocolate and its eggless too!! Just wondering – ur recipe uses “plain chocolate” – is that baking chocolate or regular bar chocolate and is it unsweetened or semi-sweet? Too many choices I know!!

24 Sunita October 4, 2009 at 8:09 am

I use baking chocolate.

25 prathibha October 3, 2009 at 4:15 pm

That is such a moist cake dear…can I use brown sugar instead of muscovado sugar?

26 Sunita October 4, 2009 at 8:08 am

Yes, you can use brown sugar

27 Ivy October 3, 2009 at 6:17 pm

The chocolate looks delicious and healthy as well.

28 Shwetha October 3, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Sunita,
The cake looks moist and seriously chocolatey! I love the idea of baking with yogurt.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. :)

29 Aparna October 4, 2009 at 1:29 pm

So moist, crumby and chocolatey.
We still have 6 day weeks so saturday is the beginning of weekends for us. I find sunday is quite busy but an easy pace. Love monday mornings though. :)

30 Nirmala October 5, 2009 at 5:10 am

That sounds really wonderful. In my case the boy who comes with me inside the kitchen to share those moments and as a rare kind my girl would not even enter into the kitchen. This cake looks really moist and soft. A must try that too with the atta.

31 Sudeshna October 5, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Yum………. nothing more to say :)

32 Margot October 6, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Sunita,
That is delicious and healthy cake! Love it…. and will definitely come back to make it :) Bookmarked.

33 Sanjana October 11, 2009 at 10:24 am

This looks gorgeous! I will definetly have to give it a go. And the pictures are beautiful!

34 Apoorva October 14, 2009 at 9:57 am

Hi Sunita
First of all I must compliment you for your beautiful blog.Everything,the recipes,the photos as well as your words make it wonderful .I really must appreciate your talent and the tremendous patience u seem to have what with participating in DB challenge and all…You really need to be daring to make all that effort.I have tried many of your recipes,esp cookies and cakes.
I just had two queries.
1)I live in Jorhat in ur home state so i guess i might not find muscovcado sugar here.What can i substitute it with?Will jaggery give the same taste?
2)Can i use cadbury’s cocoa powder instead of the baking chocolate u have used in this recipe?If yes the how much?
Apoorva

35 Sunita October 14, 2009 at 7:55 pm

Hi Apoorva, thank you so much for your kind words. Glad you like my humble space.

Regarding your queries,
1) You can use jaggery; there should not be too much difference
2)The baking chocolate that I use are slabs of chocolate, not powder. I usually use dark chocolate. If you cannot find the dark chocolate, then any milk chocolate bar will do, but, of course, the flavour will differ. It will be sweeter.

36 Apoorva October 15, 2009 at 10:51 am

Thanks Sunita for the prompt reply..I’m definitely going to bake this cake over the weekend…

37 Sunita October 15, 2009 at 11:02 am

You’re welcome, hope you like it :-)

38 Nisha October 20, 2009 at 1:45 am

I am drooling over this recipe. Question tho – how could I alter the recipe to use cocoa powder instead of chocolate bars? How would that change the cake? Thank you!!

39 Ingrid October 22, 2009 at 3:38 am

This recipe looks yummy and nutricious…..both appealing and exciting. I am picturing it straight our of the oven with some vanilla soy icecream to melt all over it. My question to you… is I don’t use chocolate, but I do use carob powder. How would I substitute it for the chocolate bar and how much. Also 150 grams of chocolate would be equivalent to what in cups? thanks
I also love friday. It is the end of the week and we prepare for Sabbath. The house gets cleaned by the whole family, a special supper meal is prepared(usually homemade pizza, which my 4 kidlins help me make) candles are lit for the meal, soft music, jammys, a nice dessert ( hopefully yours) and the 6 of us around the table talking about the blessings of our week.
Have a great rest of the week Sunita, and thanks for your inspiring recipe.

40 Sunita October 22, 2009 at 7:58 am

Hi Ingrid, it was really fascinating to know about your Fridays; I could actually visualize it . Yes, it’s always nice when the whole family chips in. Thanks for sharing.

Regarding the recipe, the choclate in cups would be approximately 3/4 C. As for the carob powder, I must admit that I have never used it myself. But on googling around, I found a few interesting sites if you wanted to have a look at. Wish I could have helped you better at this. but I do not want to advise you on something that I have no idea about. I do hope you go on and make the cake. Check out the links here-