How do you like yours?

by Sunita on June 6, 2008

We, like so many others, are great pasta lovers. This, of course, does not mean that we gorge on it every other day. No, we have it, maybe, once a week, sometimes even after longer periods; but , when we do have it, we thoroughly enjoy it.

We love all sorts and shapes of pasta, and love trying out different recipes with them. But the ones that are more often seen at the table are penne, fusili, and tortiglioni, in that order. And, our favourite way of enjoying them is by adding them to a red looking chunky sauce (oh no! not store bought) and baked with layers of cheese. And yes, I shamelessly make it as cheesy as I can. Hey, we don’t have it every day, and what’s a bit of indulgence, now and then. But, yes, I do add an assortment of vegetables and mushrooms. We love the vegetarian versions of pasta more than their meaty counterparts.

A bowl of pasta cooked in the above manner is also comfort food for us. Hot out of the oven, with the melting cheese and the assortment of vegetables, we eat to our hearts content.

In brief, here’s how I made the cheesy tortiglioni the other day…

… please do excuse me for the short cut, but I seem to be strolling in Lazy town today :-P

The recipe-

1. Boil 250 gms of pasta(preferably penne, tortiglioni, fusili or riccioli) in enough salty water and a tblsp of oil, till cooked al dente(firm to the bite). Drain, wash with cold water and keep aside.
  2. Heat 2 tblsp of extra virgin olive oil in a deep pan and add 1 carrot, half of a green and red pepper, 1 onion, 4-5 pods of garlic ( all chopped into small pieces), 2 C of sweetcorn, and 7-8 sliced close cupped mushrooms. Toss around for 1 minute.
  3. Add 10-12 chopped ripe tomatoes (or 2 cans of tinned tomatoes), 2 tblsp of mixed herbs(rosemary, thyme,oregano,basil, sage , parsely….can give some of the herbs a miss; though the oregano is highly recommended). Season with salt and generous amounts of freshly ground pepper. Cook till the tomatoes lose their shape.
  4. Pre heat the oven at 200 deg C.
  5. Add the pasta to the chunky sauce and mix in. Remove from heat.
  6. Place half of the pasta in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle 100 gms of grated cheddar cheese. Add the other half of the pasta, along with the rest of the sauce and top with another 100 gms of cheddar cheese (warned you, it’s going to be cheesy :-P )
  7. Bake in the centre of the pre heated oven till the cheese melts and the top is nicely browned.
  8. Serve hot and dig in.

I used to slice the vegetables earlier,but have found, that, chopping or cubing them gives a nicer texture to the sauce. The vegetables can also be varied…I usually add carrots, sweetcorn, asparagus(when in season) , broccoli, various peppers and mushrooms, along with tomatoes, onions and garlic. We like the vegetables to have a bite to them… but if you prefer them fully cooked, stir fry them for a little longer before adding the tomatoes. And do not over cook the tomatoes..add the pasta as soon as the tomatoes lose their shape…does not matter if the sauce is liquidy…the pasta will absorb a lot of it.

Mmmm, we simply do adore this…

******************************************************

Just want to remind you, dear readers, not to forget to start thinking about this month’s Think spice. It’s being guest hosted by dear Kaykat of ‘Cooking from A to Z’. Her choice of spice will require some thinking, so you better put on your thinking hats. As for her chosen spice, it’s ”Wasabi”. See, I warned you, some serious thinking is definitely required. So, Think spice…think wasabi! The details can be found here…the deadline is 25th of June.

******************************************************

Now, tell me, what is your favourite way of enjoying pasta :-)

Have a relaxing weekend :-)

Related posts-

1 sireesha June 6, 2008 at 11:38 am

Visiting ur blog first time.U have a nice and lovely blog.Past is simply drooling and inviting…..Gr8 entry.

2 Asha June 6, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Same here. Kids would happily have pasta every day but lot of carb. I try and keep it once a week. We love Spaghetti and meat balls, Lasagna. Yes, of course, we love it cheesy!:D
Looks delicious Sunita. I make my own Bechamel sauce but we buy Tomto pasta sauce.We get authentic Italian in bottles here,so it’s easy on me.
Enjoy, see you on Monday.It’s 96F today and 99F tomorrow!HELP!:D

3 Happy cook June 6, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Do you have to make us drool so much.
After reading the recipe i was scrolling down and each much made me drool more.
Love it and looks super delicious.
Here we all love pasta too.

4 Sukanya Ramkumar June 6, 2008 at 3:51 pm

WOW…. Baked pasta is my fav. Ur pasta recipe looks so good. Lovely… Looks so cheesy… YUM!

5 notyet100 June 6, 2008 at 5:10 pm

ur pics make me hungry…nice post,,so colourful,.

6 Arundathi June 6, 2008 at 5:34 pm

gosh – that looks so delicious – i could just reach in and grab that ooey gooey pasta off the fork! :P

7 musical June 6, 2008 at 6:17 pm

Yum Yum! This one totally rocks! The ones most seen in my kitchen are linguine, angel hair, penne, fusili and spaghetti, all with chunky sauces :) . Mushrooms and tomatoes find there way into my pasta more often than not :) .

have a great weekend,
musical.

8 bee June 6, 2008 at 6:23 pm

yummy. my fav pasta is soba noodles.

9 Sunshinemom June 6, 2008 at 6:44 pm

I am here first time! Beautiful photographs…this one floored me:)

10 Suganya June 6, 2008 at 7:14 pm

Pasta, like upma, are such a time saver. I now like the whole wheat version, which used to taste like cardboard few years back. But I am very partial to soba noodles.

11 JZ @ Tasty treats June 6, 2008 at 7:32 pm

hmm hmm, what a beauty!! i am talking abt the pasta ;-) i’m just kidding…hey sunita, thanks for visiting me at my blog!

i wanted to ask u a few questions..have u ever made that poached egg curry before? and if yes, can u tell me if its supposed to be dry or with gravy?

u too have a nice weekend girl! enjoyed chatting with u!

12 Shilpa June 6, 2008 at 7:39 pm

I want to have a bite from that bowl Sunita. Ahh..I just had lunch but feeling hungry looking at your pics :(

13 Namratha June 6, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Gosh! This is to die for…really!

14 Sagari June 6, 2008 at 11:51 pm

delecious pasta sunitha,want to grab that fork

15 Vani June 6, 2008 at 11:55 pm

Look at the lovely pictures! Pasta looks lip smacking, Sunitha! I confess, I use store bought pasta sauces (usually tomato & vodka sauces) most of the time (we get some really good sauces too) but the seldom times that I do make from scratch, I enjoy that more!

16 farida June 7, 2008 at 1:13 am

My daughter loves pasta, any sort, with any filling:) Yours looks fantastic! What a great cook you are.!

17 delhibelle June 7, 2008 at 2:39 am

Rigatoni is one of my fav pasta..yours looks scrumptious !

18 Rachel June 7, 2008 at 4:02 am

We love our pasta dunked in loads of cheese..sundried tomatoes (make my own)….your bowl of pasta looks so creamy and fulfilling..

love the new header…..

19 Uma June 7, 2008 at 5:06 am

lovely rigatoni! Yummy.

20 Srivalli June 7, 2008 at 5:51 am

looks lovely sunita..can imagine how tasty it must’ve been..yummmy!!!

21 Mike of Mike's Table June 7, 2008 at 3:10 pm

This looks delicious and now you have me thinking about what kind of cheese loaded pasta I can make this coming week.

22 Swati: Sugarcraft India June 7, 2008 at 3:19 pm

I love the pasta ….just your way!!..Feel hungry now :) )

23 Psychgrad June 7, 2008 at 7:09 pm

I love pasta too. I’m definitely going to try this. I really like the addition of corn. I’m always thinking that I should try adding corn to more foods and rarely actually do it.

24 Kevin June 7, 2008 at 9:33 pm

That pasta looks cheesy and good!

25 sunita June 8, 2008 at 7:35 am

sireesha,
Thanks and welcome to my world :-)

asha,
Thanks…the sun has peeped out today….has been raining since the last couple of days…temperatures not too high yet :-)

happy cook,
:-D D…thanks dear :-)

sukanya,
Thanks…we love it cheesy too :-)

notyet100,
thanks…glad you liked it :-)

26 sunita June 8, 2008 at 7:39 am

arundathi,
thanks…we love it too :-)

musical,
Thanks…hope you’re enjoying your weekend too…enjoy your break :-)

bee,
thanks…we are yet to get hooked on to soba noodles :-)

sunshinemom,
Thanks and welcome to my world :-)

suganya,
They are time savers indeed…pack everything into a bowl :-)

27 sunita June 8, 2008 at 7:48 am

JZ,
Thanks…as for your curry, it looked quite nice, though I must admit that I have never encountered it in my lifetime…not your fault though…I guess it happens with most recipes from cuisines that we are not familiar with…especially when are are cooking from a book.

shilpa,
have the whole bit :-P P

namratha,
thanks…we really gorge on it :-)

sagari,
thanks…please be my guest :-)

vani,
thanks…yes, the home mades are always better :-)

28 sunita June 8, 2008 at 2:02 pm

farida,
thanks…just do my bit :-)

delhibelle,
Thanks…we do love it :-)

rachel,
Thanks…I haven’t tried my hands at sundried tomatoes yet…maybe one of these days :-)

Uma,
Thanks:-)

Srivalli,
Thanks…we really pig out on bowls of this pasta :-D

29 sunita June 8, 2008 at 2:05 pm

mike,
:-D D…I know…I really can’t go easy on the cheese when it comes to pasta :-P

swati,
thanks :-)

Psychgrad,
Thanks…do try it…my kids, (especially my daughter), adore corn :-)

kevin,
thanks :-)

30 SMN June 9, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Sunita i would just grab my plate serve this and happily eat he.he.. luks so delicious and tempting u really rock..

31 JZ @ Tasty treats June 9, 2008 at 3:05 pm

hi sunita, theres a lil something for u on my blog..and thanks for ur comments in response to my query! :-)

32 sunita June 9, 2008 at 9:39 pm

smn,
thanks dear :-)

JZ,
You’re most welcome…and thanks for thinking of me :-)

33 Anonymous June 10, 2008 at 8:16 am

u r pics are amazing!

34 Kalai June 10, 2008 at 7:55 pm

The cheesier the better!!! I love adding veggies to the sauce as well. Looks delicious! :)

35 Nags June 11, 2008 at 10:12 am

this is sooo bookmarked!! i missed bloghopping so much.. ur pics are nicer than ever Sunita :)

36 sunita June 14, 2008 at 8:32 pm

anonymous,
Thanks :-)

kalai,
We do love our cheesy pasta quite a lot :-)

nags,
Thanks…and don’t worry, you’ll catch up. Hope you’ve settled down now.

37 Anonymous July 20, 2008 at 3:58 pm

Hello Sunita,

I tried your pasta recipe today and it turned out very good and everybody in my family enjoyed the food. Thanks and will try some other recipes from your blog !!

38 Anonymous July 22, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Forgot to mention my name – Nupur

39 nishka September 15, 2008 at 6:51 pm

Hi Sunita, to say that I simply love reading ur blog is an understatement.. :) but I truly do.

I tried your pasta recipe today and turned out nice though the tomato taste dominated. I guess the next time around, I will make the white sauce as you have explained in another recipe and combine the two to bring down the tomato taste. Thanks and keep up the brilliant work!!