Dill soda bread rolls for World Bread Day

by Sunita on October 16, 2009

“The smell of good bread baking, like the sound of lightly flowing water, is indescribable in its evocation of innocence and delight.”
M. F. K. Fisher (1908-1992)

Yes, the smell that emanates from the oven as the bread bakes is so comforting indeed. The sight of a mound of dough as it rises, browns to form a crust and then the delight of slicing through the crusty exterior to reach the softer crumb within is so very appealing.

My association with bread making, is not very long; probably a couple of years. Earlier, bread always meant either the flat breads of my native country, India, or the yeasted breads found in the bakeries. I have always been in awe of those bakers who could turn out a perfect loaf of bread from their ovens with ease. Yeast was the proverbial beast for me till then.

And then came the time when yours truly joined the daring bakers and had to make cinnamon/sticky buns, more than two years ago. Oh no! It’s the beast again! It was then that I thought that enough was enough and it was time to tame the beast. And I must say, that for a first timer, it wasn’t a bad result at all. Since then, many a yeasted bread have made their way out of my oven and yeast is not the beast any more but a friend; hmm, probably a temperamental one, but still a friend. I have found out so many possibilities with bread baking.

And as I have come across various cultures, I have realised how much, bread, in some form or the other, leavened or unleavened, is a part of them.

Today, I’m going to talk about a differently leavened bread- soda bread. And before you jump to conclusions, I must mention that I made up this recipe.  It is based on the Irish soda bread, but it has been executed in my way( purists , hear! hear!). I don’t know if you add dill to “soda bread”, but I did in mine :-)

2 C of whole wheat flour (atta)
3/4 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
3/4 tsp salt
3-4 tblsp of finely chopped dill

1 tsp crushed red chillies
1/4 C low fat natural yogurt mixed with 3/4 C water
a little milk for brushing the tops and a little poppy seeds and crushed red chillies for topping

1. Pre heat the oven at 220 deg C. Line and grease a baking tray.
  2. In a bowl, rub together with the fingertips, the flour, salt, soda and dill.
  3. Tip in the yogurt mixture and mix quickly with the fingertips till everything comes together into a smooth ball. Do not overknead. The dough should be firm, but not too sticky ( add a little more flour) or too dry ( add a little more yogurt+water mixture).
  4. Shape the dough into a log and cut into five equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball, flatten the bottom and place on the prepared tray, apart from each other to allow room for rising.
  5. Brush the tops with some milk and sprinkle the poppy seeds and crushed red chillies. With a sharp knofe, make a cut a cross across the top.
  6. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 10 minutes. Reduce thew heat to 200 deg C and bake for another 9-10 minutes or till the top is nicely browned and the bottom of the rolls sound hollow when tapped.
  7. Remove from the oven, cool for a few minutes on a rack before serving. Cool completely on the rack, if storing for later.

This is a very simple and easy bread to make.The rolls are best eaten warm on the day it is baked. The rolls can be eaten by just  halving and slathering some butter over them or with a dip, or as an accompaniment , especially with soup.

The crust of the rolls were crisp and the crumb soft; the herbs added their own flavour. Now, off they go to Zorra  at Kochtopf who is hosting  World baking day and my dill soda bread rolls are on their way to join all those wonderful breads from all over the world.

world bread day

Have you baked your bread today?

Have a great weekend everyone; and for all of you who will be celebrating Diwali, my wishes are with you and yours for a happy and safe celebration.

1 Aparna October 16, 2009 at 3:32 pm

They look gorgeous, Sunita. The only thing is dill isn’t one of my favourites. But I can see myself making them with coriander/ cilantro.

2 Sunita October 16, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Thanks Aparna; and yes, you can easily substitute the dill with any other herb you fancy :-)

3 Rosa October 16, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Those look really fabulous! I love dill and soda bread!

4 Sunita October 16, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Thanks Rosa :-)

5 Happy Cook October 16, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Just beautiful, love them, i can just imagine opening up one, when they are still a bit warm and the delicous aroma waffing out from those yummy rolls.

6 Sunita October 17, 2009 at 9:08 am

Thanks HC :-)

7 Karthika October 16, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Bread looks delish…..This is a must try for me…..I have yeastophobia :) After baking my first bread with yeast, I somehow didn’t feel like eating bread at all for several months. Thanks for posting a bread recipe without yeast, will update you on how it turned out.

8 Sunita October 17, 2009 at 9:10 am

You are welcome karthika. But i must tell you that the taste and texture of this bread is not exactly like the yeasted ones. We like this bread, but yeasted ones are still my favourite. Give yeast a try. You might not be successful at the first attempt, but you will get there. It needs a bit of perseverence. Believe me, I have had my fair share of hard loaves. So don’t give up.

9 Kelly October 16, 2009 at 7:56 pm

Gorgeous. I love the inclusion of the dill. That crumb looks gorgeous.

10 Sunita October 17, 2009 at 8:24 am

Thanks Kelly :-)

11 Hélène October 17, 2009 at 12:37 am

You always make perfect and gorgeous food. Have a great week-end!

12 Sunita October 17, 2009 at 8:24 am

Aww, thanks Helen.

13 nags October 17, 2009 at 1:33 am

wow! love the innards of that bread. Didn’t know you could bake bread with soda.

btw, tried your Mini walnut, chocolate and banana muffins. they came out not too spongy but the flavour was awesome. took it for a friend’s housewarming party and everyone loved it!

14 Sunita October 17, 2009 at 8:24 am

You can, but of course, the texture and taste will differ.

Glad you loved the muffins.

15 Alka October 17, 2009 at 4:47 pm

whole wheat bread with spice to it.. yumm.. i’ve had irish soda bread before, and it was really good and that too was homemade.. the end results look so pretty, i couldn’t even touch it :) Happy Diwali to you and your wonderful family!!

16 Nicisme October 17, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Good looking loaf, happy World Bread Day to you Sunita, (and happy Diwali!!)

17 Sunita October 19, 2009 at 8:57 pm

18 zorra October 25, 2009 at 9:39 am

Great photos and good looking buns, too! Thank you for your participation in World Bread Day 2009. Yes you baked! :-)