One for two…

by Sunita on June 13, 2008

By the time you read this, I will probably be at the seadside, chaperoning a bunch of Year 2 kids. Well, Rengoni, along with her class mates are going on a trip to the seaside as a part of their current class topic. Parents were requested to help and yours truly voluntered !! Just hope the weather doesn’t play truant…the li’l ones have been looking forward to it so much.

Sometimes, I do look back at myself , probably give myself a pinch as well. I can still vividly remember all those school trips I went on as a child…the picnics, the buses into which we were huddled, the sing- song and banter, the smiles and laughs. Now that I’m on the other side, through the children, I feel as if I’m reliving my childhood. Ahh! Not that I have any complaints about the present, but I must admit, those were the really carefree days.

Now coming back to the kitchen, I made these savoury rice and coconut pancakes.

Talking about coconut, it is one fruit that we’ve grown up on… an inevitable part of our lives. No auspicious occasion is complete without it. Coconut trees are quite a common sight in the back yards of homes, especially in the countrysides. Whether it is the white flesh, chopped or cut into sticks as offerings to god, or the whole green coconut, placed on top of a decorative matir koloh (earthen pitcher) to adorn the gates of a wedding venue; or the dessicated coconut, made into laddoos and used as a sweet filling in various kinds of pithas during festivals, yes, it’s always present. But, coconut is very rarely used in savoury Assamese cooking. And coconut oil is used only to strengthen the hair and moisturise the skin!

And regarding pancakes, they are an all time favourite … not the thicker American style ones though ( no offence intended), but the crepe like English ones… savoury or sweet, they do come out quite often out of my kitchen. Ma also used to make savoury pancakes frequently.

Now, here’s the recipe for the rice and coconut pancakes…

3 C rice flour
2 C dessicated coconut
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chilli powder(more or less)
2 tblsp roasted and ground cumin
1 onion, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 tsp salt
2 tblsp of oil and a little extra for greasing the pan
1 large carrot , grated
2 eggs, beaten
3 and 1/2 C of water

1. Mix all the rest of the ingredients except the water and eggs.
  2. Add the water and eggs and mix together to form a batter. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
  3. Heat and grease a pan ( cooking spray works well).
  4. Add a ladle of the mixture and quickly tilt the pan to spread out the mixture ( be really quick, for the mixture sets fast).
  5. Cover and cook for 2 minutes over low heat. Turn over and cook covered for another 3 minutes. Repeat with the rest of the batter. I made 10 of them.
  6. Serve hot.

We loved the pancakes. The coconut added a nice bite to them. They were very filling as well and could form a part of any meal during the day. We, in fact, had them for dinner, along with bowls of dal (lentil soup). Our’s were mildly spiced… increase the spiciness and heat if you prefer.

I am now going to hand these pancakes over to two lovely fellow bloggers as an entry for their events…namely, Suganya, for her AFAM- coconut ,and Susan, for her Pancake parade. There…killed two birds with one stone. Will mail you ladies with the details very soon :-)

1 Asha June 13, 2008 at 11:47 am

Have a wonderful time at the beach. We went to Blackpool once!:)

Arvind asked the kids whether they want to go to the beach for a week, I said no! I will have heat stroke if we go now, it’s 10F hotter than here! Yikes!

Coconut dosa looks yum. Looks soft, usually rice flour dosas tend to be tough, I might try.

Enjoy, see you on Monday!:))

2 Happy cook June 13, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Thos rice and coconut pancakes looks yumm.
Enjoy the seaside with the kids. When Shyama was at that age we used to go with her class too, but now they are in the highschool parents are a big NO for them.

3 JZ @ Tasty treats June 13, 2008 at 2:02 pm

have a great time at the beach sunita! i agree, the old times were the best!! :-)

great pics as usual and they look yummy! great entries, sunita!

4 Shilpa June 13, 2008 at 3:43 pm

I am going to try this soon for a weekday breakfast.

5 sunita June 13, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Asha, Dinesh’s first posting in the UK was Blackpool. We’ve got back a while ago and all the children had a real blast :-)

As for those pancakes, I would not cal them dosa…I have never made any, and, moreover, seeing all the gorgeous ones that are made by all you people out there, I think pancake is a safer word for me :-P P

6 sunita June 13, 2008 at 3:47 pm

happy cook,
Thanks…I know, what you mean…children do grow up so fast..they did have a very nice time today :-)

jz,
Thanks…and yes, the kids had a great time, and the weather was nice tooo :-)

shilpa,
do give it a try :-)

7 Uma June 13, 2008 at 3:59 pm

mmm. those pancakes look so mouth-watering. wonderful pics as usual. Enjoy your time at the beach with the kids.

8 bee June 13, 2008 at 6:09 pm

so when are you taking me to the seashore?

i won’t be hurt if you don’t take me, provided you mail me some of those pancakes.

9 Sukanya Ramkumar June 13, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Coconut Pancake is a creative and wonderful idea. Loved it so much. YUM!…. Awesome pictures…

10 Shri June 13, 2008 at 8:31 pm

Wow!! it is so tempting to even read this..i can imagine how it will be to taste.yummy recipe.thank you for sharing

11 Sagari June 13, 2008 at 9:15 pm

coconut pancakes looks soft and yummy sunitha ,love them

12 musical June 13, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Now this is totally lovely! Can’t wait to dig into one :) .

Hope you have a great time with all the kids :) .

Enjoy,
musical.

13 Mona June 13, 2008 at 10:11 pm

Have a nice time with the kids Sunita!
Those pancakes aka dosas look scrumptious! Making me hungry!!!

14 Shubha Ravikoti June 13, 2008 at 11:02 pm

Hey Sunita.. I simply love ur blog… And the pictures…:) I have something for u in my blog… Do check out!..:)

15 farida June 14, 2008 at 1:27 am

Coconut pancakes! I have never tried them in my life! must be delicious.

16 KALVA June 14, 2008 at 2:48 am

wow sooo good!! nice twist

17 Rachel June 14, 2008 at 2:58 am

Glad you had a good time.

And the savoury pancakes…that should be something…..Can;t wait to try!

18 Nags June 14, 2008 at 3:53 am

i actually bookmarked ur recipe first before even reading the post cuz i really need some nice breakfast ideas. hubby doesn’t like normal breakfast stuff like idlis and upma and khichdi. so i am looking at branching out. he is not much of a coconut fan either so i cud try reducing that a bit ;)

19 Vcuisine June 14, 2008 at 8:28 am

Sunita, a nice twist and it looks porous. Will try out sometime. Very handy too. Viji

20 Sig June 14, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Going to the beach huh, have fun Sunita… and I am sure it will be a fun but tiring trip…. I remember how much trouble we used to give our teachers on school trips. It is great they are taking the parents along now too… Kids will behave a little better I guess :)

Yummy coconut pancakes Sunita… Coconut and pancake whats not to love?

21 sunita June 14, 2008 at 8:18 pm

Uma,
Thanks…the kids did havea woderful time :-)

bee,
Come over sweetie, will take you to the beach…just 15-20 minutes drive away…will include an ice cream too :-P P

sukanya,
It was just a whim, but i’m glad that they turned out well :-)

shri,
thanks…we did enjoy them :-)

22 sunita June 14, 2008 at 8:21 pm

sagari,
thanks :-)

musical,
Thanks…we did have agreat time indeed :-)

mona,
thanks…now go on and eat something :-P P

Shubha,
Thanks…glad you like thos space :-)

23 sunita June 14, 2008 at 8:25 pm

farida,
Give them a go…you might like them :-)

kalva,
thanks :-)

rachel,
We did have a great time…thanks…do give the pancakes a try :-)

24 sunita June 14, 2008 at 8:29 pm

nags,
So, you’re the proper little wife now…do give the pancakes a try :-)

Viji,
Thank you so much…it’s really nice to see you here again :-)

Sig,
We were actually amazed as to how well the kids behaved(thankfully) …probably the sea and the wind must have had something to do with it :-D

25 Kevin June 14, 2008 at 9:56 pm

Those pancakes have a really nice texture.

26 FoodieFriend June 15, 2008 at 4:29 am

Have a great time…
Good to get another chance to recall those old school picnics…
Rice and coconut pancake looks delicious….

27 Swati: Sugarcraft India June 16, 2008 at 4:40 am

The pancakes look lovely Sunita.. It so much fun on the beach..glad you had a great time!!

28 Aparna June 16, 2008 at 8:56 am

Have a nice time with the kids.
Maybe you could call this pancake an “adai” too?
When I told my daughter that I was thinking of volunteering to go with her class for their class tour, she was quite worried that she wouldn’t be able to “enjoy” herself!

29 sunita June 16, 2008 at 11:53 am

kevin,
thanks…we did love them :-)

foodiefriend,
Thanks…we did have a nice time indeed :-)

swati,
Thanks…the kids really enjoyed their time :-)

aparna,
thanks..lol on your daughter’s views :-D D…probably I will hear the same in a few years time :-P

30 DaviMack June 16, 2008 at 4:43 pm

They sound really wonderful! Thanks for writing this up!

31 Archana June 17, 2008 at 9:11 am

I guess, you must have had a great time at the beach and these pancakes look lovely. Would love to try them sometime. BTW, I am hosting a ONE DISH MEAL event and I would love for you to participate. The details are at my site.