Hot and sweet…

by Sunita on June 25, 2008

We’ve been blessed with glorious sunshine for the last four days. What! Four consecutive days of uninterrupted brightness…and not a drop in sight… and that too with Wimbledon on in full swing (it has to rain during Wimbledon; remember those umbrellas :-) )!!

But, honestly, it’s been nice to get that sunshine, and with a gentle breeze, the weather does feel nice.

Just a very quick recipe to share today…and I mean really quick…just takes a couple of minutes. I made this hot and sweet, peach and raisin chutney yesterday.

The ingredients listed below yielded one cup of chutney.

1C of chopped peaches(I used canned slices, discarding the juice)
1 tblsp raisins
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
2 and 1/2 tblsp dark brown sugar
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp (more or less) of crushed red chillies
1 tsp lemon juice

1. Heat the oil in a pan.
  2. Add the peaches and raisins and stir for 4-5 seconds.
  3. Add the ginger and cardamom powders and the chillies, and mix in.
  4. Sprinkle the sugar, and continue stirring till the sugar melts and the mixture begins to thicken, coating the peaches and raisins.
  5. Add the lemon juice, stir, and remove from heat.

That’s it! Serve hot or cold, as a condiment, or top on toast. Now, how’s that, for a short and sweet (and hot) post (recipe) :-)

Enjoy!!

1 Asha June 25, 2008 at 12:48 pm

I sent the sunshine for you there Sunita! We have 3 days of rain here but still hot and sunny!:D
That’s good to here, hope you got some Sun on your face, Vitamin D!:))
Hot and sweet chutney looks yum, great on the toast!

2 sunita June 25, 2008 at 12:55 pm

asha,
thanks…
Yes, it’s been beautiful since the last few days…and no, no sunshine on the face, those eyes of mine are a bit sensitive, and I mean , even with sunglasses :-(

3 Sia June 25, 2008 at 1:08 pm

lucky u…its pouring here :(
and what a gorgeous pic suni…i simply cant take my eyes off from the screen :)

4 JZ @ Tasty treats June 25, 2008 at 2:06 pm

it sure looks delicious..ur pics make it all the more irresistible!!

we are also having somewhat high temperatures nowadays!!

5 bhagyashri June 25, 2008 at 2:43 pm

Yes, touch wood! The weather really is great here nowadays, but you never know with the unpredictable UK weather…:) Sunny now, raining the next minute!

The chutney looks amazing and such a quick one too.

6 Aparna June 25, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Looks delicious, Sunita. Your pictures are a visual feast.
I’m in the middle of making something “peachy” now!
Its been raining here, so maybe the sun moved there?

7 vibi June 25, 2008 at 8:59 pm

Sunita, you amaze me…
I’m not sure if I ever found the courage to leave a message on your soooo overwhelmingly sublime blog, if not… here it is.
I haven’t gone through everything on your blog, so I don’t know if you are a professional baker, cook, or photographer but a YES, wouldn’t surprise me.
I do intend to scrutinize it better as time goes by… all I can say for now, is that everytime I open a page of yours, expecting something marvelous, I’m never dissapointed! Just like in this case, with this beautiful jewel colored chutney: right in my cords! …as a lot of other things you do.
Continue to amaze us, it is a simple but oh so rewarding pleasure to come and visit.

8 Dee June 25, 2008 at 9:23 pm

how much sunshine do you want ?? I’m ready to share half or more than that from the phoenix heat :D .. You wont believe it .. I just made a papaya raisin chutney… yours looks so much better!! Yours looks gorgeous and must tasting much better than that!

9 Kalai June 26, 2008 at 12:57 am

That picture is just mind-blowing, Sunita!! Chutney looks beautiful and such a wonderful combo of flavors!! :)

10 Rachel June 26, 2008 at 1:30 am

Wow peach ina chutney..That should definitely be something..

Excellent pics!!!

11 Nags June 26, 2008 at 1:35 am

*drool* i like anything hot and sweet!

12 SMN June 26, 2008 at 7:29 am

Hey Sunita, i do remember and i am always hooked to wimbldon.. love the game of tennis i will not miss a match (of course with my fav player). Good for you that it didnt rain.
its rainy season in India and it didnt rain here since it started do u believe it.. wish it cud rain here.
Hey the chutney looks so tempting and im imaging how it tate in the mouth.. :)

13 Richa June 26, 2008 at 12:15 pm

beautiful, just beautiful :)

btw, did u mean cinnamon or is it cardamom? chutney looks sooooo good :)

14 sra June 26, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Ooh, ooey gooey ooey, looks lovely

15 Rina June 26, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Wimbledon and umbrellas go together…uhh!!! I love Wibledon..Always use to enjoy watching it with marinated pineapple back home.

Will love to try you peach rain chutney…Spicy.

16 Daily Meals June 26, 2008 at 2:19 pm

The chutney looks really delicious…nice recipe Sunitha!

17 Suganya June 26, 2008 at 6:33 pm

Yes, on a warm toast. Thats what I was thinking too :)

18 TBC June 26, 2008 at 6:37 pm

I like the hot and sweet combo. That’s a very good looking chutney.:D

19 Rajitha June 26, 2008 at 10:03 pm

love the chutney sunita…used to watch wimbledon religiously with dad…but there is no thrill watching it alone here in the US….

20 Mona June 27, 2008 at 12:02 am

That chutney looks fab! I have some canned peaches and am gonna try this out. Will let you know about it, Thnx for sharing the recipe Sunita!

21 Pearlsofeast June 27, 2008 at 12:33 am

Sunita,thanks for recipe,I have a kilo of peach and I was thinking to try something different,This is a great idea and with a hint ginger and chilli sounds awesome.

22 KALVA June 27, 2008 at 2:33 am

looks delish i must admit

23 Kevin June 27, 2008 at 2:39 am

That looks tasty!

24 Raaga June 27, 2008 at 5:00 am

We have a lot of fresh peaches now :-)

Have been reading all your psots thru the reader, but haven’t come here and commented. :-) How have you been?

25 sunita June 27, 2008 at 12:05 pm

sia,
Thanks…it did taste good.
btw, how’s the weather in your neck of the woods..we still enjoying unbroken sunshine :-)

jz,
thanks…the breeze has not allowed the temperatures to soar that much :-)

bhagyashri,
Yes, the fickle british weather :P
…the chutney was really veruy quick to make…thanks for dropping by :-)

aparna,
it does look like the sun has moved…looking forward to your peachy creation…got loads of them yesterday from the local farmers market…was a real bargain :-P

26 sunita June 27, 2008 at 12:11 pm

vibi,
I am touched by your words…thanks for the encouragement…and ‘no’, I am not a professional cook/baker/photographer…but a completely self taught one :-)

dee,
We are doing quite well on the sunshine front, as of now…might take that offer in a few days :-P …looking forward to your version…and don’t be humble…yours must ahve tasted great too:-)

kalai,
thanks dear…we did like it :-)

rachel,
Thanks…it was really nice :-)

nags,
thanks…we liked it too :-)

27 sunita June 27, 2008 at 12:13 pm

smn,
thanks…we did like it…and yes, it’s sunny days at wimbledon :-)

richa,
thanks…and it is indeed cinnamon :-)

sra,
thanks :-)

rina,
thanks…do give it a try :-)

28 sunita June 27, 2008 at 12:21 pm

daily meals,
thanks :-)

suganya,
great minds think alike :-P

tbc,
thanks…

rajitha,
Well,I too hardly get to watch it nowadays…withy kids around, they demand attention..Agastya gets out his racquets and wants us to play with him :-P

29 sunita June 27, 2008 at 12:28 pm

Mona,
Thanks…do give it a try :-)

pearlsofeast,
Thanks…do try it :-)

kalva,
thanks :-)

30 sunita June 27, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Kevin,
Thanks..it did taste nice :-)

raaga,
thanks…we are well…the kids’ summer hols are still nearly a month away…really looking forward to them…glad you dropped by…I know, I’m to be blamed too :-P

31 Usha July 2, 2008 at 3:46 pm

Hi Sunita,A very unique and delicious looking chutney,would love to try this …….and soon :)