Procrastination…

by Sunita on June 27, 2008

Yes, the sun is still there…how much better can it get…hmmm, not for long now, they say. Anyway, let me apologise for not responding to your comments and mails, lately… I do appreciate them very much…they inspire me to do what I do… but, you know…sometimes… procrastination does take over :-( Anyway, hope to rectify it soon…reply to your comments/mails and hang out at all of your lovely spaces to check out your delicasies.

But , I did manage to dig out the pictures of a recipe that we had enjoyed almost three months back…been meaning to post it for such a long time(excuse :-P ). It is a chicken recipe by him…namely Moroccan lemon – butter chicken …the picture sucks :-( .

The first reason that drew me to the recipe was the way in which it was prepared. The chicken was arranged in a layer and all the spices were just scattered over them. The contents were brought to a boil and and then transfered to the oven. The finished product smells and tastes delish.The only thing that I had to change was the temperatures and timings. With the suggested temperatures, it would have taken me hours, although he mentions a much lesser baking period.

Anyway, the final dish was absolutely gorgeous and we did like it a lot…so here’s the recipe.

approximately 1.5 kg of chicken ( I used pieces from a whole chicken)
2 and 1/2 tblsp of butter, melted
1/2 tsp(more or less) of crushed red chillies
1/2 lemon, cut into wedges(the original recipe uses pickled ones)
2 large onions
3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 bay leaves
1 tsp each of ground cinnamon and ginger
water or stock
handful of green olives
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Rub the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and arrange them (in a single layer) in a shallow casserole or heatproof pan, preferably, one with a lid(one in which the chicken pieces can huddle together in asingle layer, without much of a gap between them)
  2. Grate the onion over the chicken pieces.
  3. Add the bay leaves and garlic and push all this down and between the chicken pieces.
  4. Sprinkle over the ground spices and stud the gaps with lemon wedges.
  5. Gently pour the melted butter over the chicken pieces.
  6. Spoon a little water or stock around the sides, so that it about half submerges the chicken pieces.
  7. Cover the pan with a lid or foil.
  8. Place the pan over heat and bring the contents to a bubble.
  9. Transfer the pan to the middle rack of a pre heated oven (220 deg C) and bake for approximately 45 minutes. or till the chicken is cooked and the liquid reduces.
  10. Remove the lid, and add the olives to the buttery onion pan juices.
  11. Increase the heat to 250 deg C and transfer the pan (without the lid) to the top rack of the oven and bake till the top is nicely browned.

Serve the chicken with the pan juices and olives with flatbread or couscous. We all loved the subtle flavours of this dish. But do keep a watch over the oven.

1 indosungod June 27, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Glad you posted the recipe after all the procrastination and all. Looks splendid, but I am going to wait out the summer and try it during the winter.

2 Asha June 27, 2008 at 12:25 pm

I just left a comment and it disappeared. I think you were editing!:D

Love the photo Sunita, looks yum. I tried Lemon and Broccoli chicken once, it had a great taste. Love your golden crusted chicken!:)

3 sunita June 27, 2008 at 12:35 pm

indosungod,
thanks…this recipe is great for summer too..very light and subtle flavours :-)

4 sunita June 27, 2008 at 12:37 pm

asha,
sorry about that…yes, I was editing :-)
…lemon and broccoli chicken sounds interesting….we love all those ingredients :-)

5 JZ @ Tasty treats June 27, 2008 at 3:17 pm

wow moroccan dish! with lemon and butter..hmmm yumm! it sure sounds wonderful, sunita…i’ve gotta try this, bookmarked!

and BTW, the picture doesnt suck! :-)

6 karuna June 27, 2008 at 5:38 pm

the chicken looks yummy. my husband is a veg, so i dont tend to cook at home. i eat out though. maybe i can come over for lunch to ure place!!!!!!!!!!!!heheheheheh. nice recipe

7 Divya Vikram June 27, 2008 at 10:57 pm

different recipe with chicken..thanks for sharing..should try this sometime..am a novice when it comes to nonveg

8 A&N June 27, 2008 at 11:27 pm

Hi Sunita! We’re vegetarians so we cant use chicken :)
But the base/gravy sounds really nice and spicy so I guess we could substitute the chicken with cauliflower or something. Thanks for the recipe and we’ll let you know how if we try it with a vegetable :)

9 Rachel June 28, 2008 at 3:27 am

Despite the light flavours it looks rich! Love the idea of adding olives…

10 Mike of Mike's Table June 28, 2008 at 5:22 pm

I tried something like this a while back and absolutely loved it, so I can imagine how spectacular this must have tasted/smelled. And you’re too hard on yourself–I think the photos look great!

11 sunita June 30, 2008 at 8:44 am

jz,
this tasted really nice…do give it a try :-)

karuna,
Thanks…and my doors are open for you, anytime :-P

12 sunita June 30, 2008 at 8:45 am

divya,
Thanks…e did like this dish a lot…do give it a try :-)

a&n,
Do let me know the results of your experiments :-)

13 sunita June 30, 2008 at 8:48 am

rachel,
Thanks…they did go well together :-)

mike,
This combination does taste good, doesn’t it?..and thanks for the back up :-)