We’ve had such a long spell of sunshine…for over a week now. But the streak of brightness has now been broken… with grey skies taking over for most of the day, today. But, it does look like, the parched trees are surely going to welcome the rain.
On the food front,we do consume quite a large amount of couscous.
But we almost always enjoy it in the same way… as a salad.. with fresh vegetables, dried fruits, nuts and seeds. Hence, the rarity of it’s appearance in this space. But, it does make for a quick, easy and healthy lunch for us. A great tasting and light meal, ready in minutes.
However, for the following recipe, I diverted from our usual salad and made a bake. I have come across several such and decided to concoct one of my own. The vegetables were still there in full force, but I lightly stir fried them along with some mushrooms. A little cheese also went into it. The baked dish did smell and taste delicious and I’m glad I made it. It’s very easy to put together…use as many or fewer vegetables.
2 C of couscous
1 red onion, finly chopped
6-7 chestnut mushrooms, sliced
4-5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 C of sweetcorn
6-7 sweet piquante peppers, chopped(optional)
a large bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1 yellow pepper, finely chopped
2 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp roasted and ground cumin
100 gms of cheddar cheese, grated
a handful of sesame seeds for topping
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 and 1/2 C of stock
- Pre heat the oven at 200 deg C.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions and garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms and fry till they soften slightly.
- Add the sweetcorn , green and yellow peppers, piquante peppers and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the couscous and fry for another 11/2 -2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Transfer the couscous mixture from the pan to a baking dish and add the cheese and coriander.
- Add the cumin and season with salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper.
- Add the stock, stir, cover with foil and bake in the centre of the pre heated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
That’s it! A flavoursome dish is now ready to be enjoyed. We had ours with some baked potato wedges and a tomato and cucumber salad.