On moms and a soup/dip…

by Sunita on July 9, 2008

As your children grow up, you hear them using words you would not want them to… vague ideas picked up from their surroundings, most of the times, not even realising what they actually mean. Their minds are like sponges, constantly soaking up all that they see and hear around them. And when they are away from home for most parts of the day, the soaked bits of information may not be the best ones, at times… the ones you would like to hear. Then, they need to be told…no, talked to. They need to be explained in such a way that their still growing minds would be able to grasp the meaning and at the same time, realise the seriousness of the situation and how it affects their personality. At the same time, you would not want to lecture them off too much, to the extent, that, next time, they would think twice before opening up to you. No, that would not do at all. Tact, is the name of the game. And no, mothering is not easy…giving birth is probably the easiest bit.

It was my ma’s birthday yesterday. When I called to wish her, my sister , cousins and aunts were all celebrating it. I longed to be there…to wish her in person, to give her a hug, to tell her what a wonderful mother she has been for us…for did I not mention a while ago, that it is definitely not easy. Such feelings always evoke something more…makes me think of the future…after many years, when both my children will have grown up, will they have the same feeling…will they feel that tug in their hearts, that longing that I now feel for my mother, not just because she is one, but because she is a good one; but then, let’s leave it to the future…time will reveal all :-)

Coming to the kitchen front, avocado is one fruit, that does not find it’s way too often into our shopping bags. It is indeed, not a regular guest.

Well, probably, once in a blue moon, for some guacamole, but that’s it.

It was one of those rare days when a couple of them made their way into our house. And this time, instead of a guacamole, I combined them with cucumber to make a really refreshing soup. This soup, can be served hot or chilled and can also double as a dip for your tortilla chips and what not. It is ready in minutes and I must say, that the neglected avocado ( in our household) does need to be welcomed a bit more openly :-)

The following is the recipe for the avocado and cucumber soup/dip

2 firm avocados, halved, stoned,peeled, chopped and coarsely blended with 1/2 a cucumber (regular size), peeled and chopped
1 red onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 C plain yogurt
1 and 1/3 C of milk
1/2 tsp ( more or less) crushed red chillies
1 tsp roasted and ground cumin
2 tblsp of extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Heat the oil and cook the onions and garlic, stirring constantly, till the onions are softened.
  2. Add the coarsely blended avocado and cucumber, along with the cumin and chilli and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
  3. Add the yogurt, stir for about 10 seconds and add the milk.
  4. Simmer for a few minutes…it will turn frothy. Keep stirring, for it might stick to the botom of the pan.
  5. Remove from heat and blend everything together in a food processor till smooth…I did leave ours very slightly coarse for a little bite.
  6. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

As I mentioned earlier, this thick soup tastes great, hot or chilled.

Of this goes to Archana for AFAM-Avocado.

And thaks to JZ (yum yum blog) and Usha( blogging with a purpose) for passing over the following awards…thank you :-)

1 Asha July 9, 2008 at 11:58 am

Happy B’day to your mom!:))

I know you are a great mom too, so you don’t have to worry. Just be there when they need you and be a mother most of time and a friend sometimes. We all will be fine that way!:)
Avocado, my fave. Dip looks great. I make Guacamole all the time and salad sometimes.
Time to say bye until Sept, will miss ya. Enjoy blogging, hugs!:)

2 Malarvizhi July 9, 2008 at 12:15 pm

What can I say Suni, you have made me think about my mom now. I’m so much moved by the words you have used. You always seem to think about your kids and that shows you’re a GOOD mom!. I’m very much impressed by your English words,
most of the times I’ll have to refer to the dictionary to see what some words really mean. At this point should I mention that not even my English Professor back in India would have used these kind of words that you’ve used in your blog. You always do something different in your own style. YOU’RE A STAR!! I’m stuck for anymore words.

3 Rachel July 9, 2008 at 5:00 pm

Wow how true…tactful is the key word…have begun to learn to deal with it now…and I’m sure your two lovely kids will have the same feeling…cos we all know what a wonderful mom your are :)

The avocado dip looks very creamy…Simple yet wonderful

4 Jayashree July 9, 2008 at 5:10 pm

You are spot on when u say that giving birth is probably the easiest part…..very well written….

5 Sandhya July 9, 2008 at 5:36 pm

Sunita,you have a beautiful blog. I guess I will be hovering regularly for delicious recipes. Your post brought tears to my eyes thinking about my mom who isn’t so well these days.
Thanks for sharing.

6 sunita July 9, 2008 at 6:03 pm

Asha,
Will convey your wishes :-)
I guess at the back of the mind the question’am I doing it right’ always seems to lurk :-)
…enjoy your break…will miss you too:-(

7 sunita July 9, 2008 at 6:11 pm

malarvizhi,
Thanks for your kind words…regarding the mom bit,as I have mentioned, only time will tell :-)

rachel,
Yes, the learning never ends, does it :-) …we loved the soup/dip too:-)

8 sunita July 9, 2008 at 6:23 pm

jayashree,

sandhya,
Thanks and welcome to my world…hope you enjoy your stay here.
…my wishes and prayers are with your mom :-)

9 Vanamala July 9, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Nice one..i usually make Guacamole.

10 bee July 9, 2008 at 9:20 pm

dear sunita, hope your mom had a great birthday. have you tried kneading avocado or leftover guac into roti dough? they make rotis silken soft.

11 Pooja July 9, 2008 at 9:21 pm

Dip looks wonderful Sunita :) .
All mom are great , no need to do anything to prove that. Mother word itself is a deepr than anyone can think of any responsibility , isnt it ?

12 sunita July 9, 2008 at 9:47 pm

vanamala,
Thanks :-)

bee,
Yes, ma did seem to have had a nice time, thank you…
..thanks again for the tip…will try it next time :-)

pooja,
yes, it itself is a great responsbility :-)

13 Uj July 10, 2008 at 1:53 am

A very touching Post.. Happy birthday to your mom.. I am lucky this time since we celebrated my mom’s birthday here in Shanghai..They are here on short vacation and making most out of it..I have always loved your posts.. though this is the first time i did a comment. Blogger has been blocked here and some times it gets accessible.. I appreciate your blog a lot and am craving to buy an oven after seeing so many dishes baking in your oven.. Its on my to buy list Thanks to you..I must say that you are also one of the bloggers who have inspired me to start my own blog.Thank you

14 Nags July 10, 2008 at 3:08 am

avocado is something even i hardly buy. this time’s AFAM gives me good reason to try something with it

15 Nirmala July 10, 2008 at 4:23 am

Wishing Many more happy returns of the day to your mom! Yes, Moms are special and we girls get to realize her value only during our motherhood! Thats a wonderful quick soup Sunita!

16 Manggy July 10, 2008 at 4:37 am

Happy birthday to yo mom! :)
Avocado in the blogging world is sort of a strange animal to me. You see, we only ever really use avocado here in dessert, not in savory dishes. So I find your soup really intriguing!

17 Srivalli July 10, 2008 at 8:12 am

sunita..what a beautiful post..many touched the same chord!…wishes for many more such happy birthdays…and prayers that next time you are with her on this special day!..I know how much it means…and dont’ worry on your kids part..you are a super duper mom!

dip looks lovely..though I haven’t taste avocado..

18 SMN July 10, 2008 at 9:03 am

Happy Bday to your mom and i guess u make great mother too.. the dip looks so yum.. and creamy never had it before . i eat avocado with sugar. love it that way

19 sunita July 10, 2008 at 5:35 pm

uj,
You are most welcome…enjoy your time with your mom…will look out for your baked goodies when they arrive :-)

nags,
Avocado is so rarely seen in our household…not that we dislike it,somehow gets left out…hope to change this :-)

nirmala,
Thanks…will convey your wishes to ma :-)

20 sunita July 10, 2008 at 5:38 pm

manggy,
Now you’ve got me thinking…i’ve never made anything sweet with avocados :-P

srivalli,
Thank you dear…and never mind the avocado, you have plenty of others to keep your tastebuds busy :-P

smn,
Thanks…with sugar, now that sounds interesting :-)

21 farida July 10, 2008 at 6:49 pm

Sunita, happy B-Day to your mom! Moms are special, aren’t they.

A beautiful post. And yet another great recipe. So simple but delicious.

22 Mike of Mike's Table July 10, 2008 at 7:27 pm

I love avocados but just don’t use them nearly often enough (I’m trying to, though). This soup/dip looks like a great application of them.

23 Sig July 11, 2008 at 2:12 am

Hey Sunita, Happy Birthday to your mom… I am sure your kids will feel the same way about you when they grow up too…
Avocado is such an under-utilized fruit in my kitchen too… Guacamole is all I can do with it :) Great dip idea…

24 Sia July 11, 2008 at 7:16 am

belated b’day wishes to ur mommy suni:)

25 sunita July 14, 2008 at 7:07 pm

farida,
thanks :-)

mike,
Thanks…avocado is rare in my kitchen too..but, am on aroll, nowadays :-)

sig,
Thanks for the wishes…and yes, it’s the same here with avocado :-)

sia,