The neighbour and some scones…

by Sunita on July 11, 2008

I remember the day, when we were invited to one of our neighbour’ s ( who had recently moved into the neighbourhood) house for dinner. The lady of the house was a pleasant and kindly one, and as there were children too, in the house, we, the kids had no problem accompanying our parents. So off we trudged down the lane to their house.

Everything was going on well…at least, until the food was served. Among the various other dishes was a particular chickpeas curry, although I could not make out it’s identity at first…the curry was mushy and somewhat slimy. In fact, in every dish , there was something wrong…too much turmeric, too much salt, not having the right consistency…well, you get the flow. We, especially the kids were having a rough time swallowing anything. But, our parents kept eating graciously, although not as much, and, at the same time giving us that sharp look every now and then; the look which says ”No screwing up your faces…behave ”. While we were fiddling with our food, the children of the hosts were relishing their mom’s cooking to their heart’s content, reaching forward for more helpings, and me and my siblings were left speechless.

On returning home, ma said that the reason that the children enjoyed the food was because they had grown up on it…being fed by the same pair of hands since they were born, thereby getting used to it. We still had trouble understanding at that time…that has been the worst tasting meal I have ever had till date… but life has made us all the more wiser . Now, when I think of that lady, I think of her genuineness, her kindly spirit…the fact that however she did it, she did make the effort to place a home cooked meal in front of her family, everyday, with a dose of love, makes her all the more commendable.

That’s the neighbour done…now, for the scones :-P Coming back to my kitchen, scones, are something that we all enjoy…as a snack, as well as accompaniments with some soup (the savoury ones). I make regular scones like this, but I make more of the savoury versions like this. As time has passed, I seem to have become lazy… well, not really, maybe we could call it being innovative, there..it sounds and makes me feel much better now :-P Earlier, I used to make them in the proper way by rolling and cutting out the shapes. Over time, I have omitted this step and just made balls and arranged them in muffin trays…the last time I made them, I didn’t do even that, just dropped spoonfulls into the moulds…I can certainly confirm that it did not affect the taste in any way, so no harm done.

The following scones have been made in exactly the same way as these, but, instead of the carrots, 1 and 1/2 c of grated butternut squash has been used. I have also added a handful of raisins. Instead of rolling, I shaped them into balls and arranged them in a mufin tray. The rest of the steps are exactly the same as the ones made earlier.

The following is the recipe for the goats’ cheese and red pepper scones that I made a couple of days ago.

Don’t they look as if studded with rubies :-P I am noting down the recipe below as the ingredients slightly differ from the others. Moreover these were the ones where I didn’t even shape them in any way, just placed spoonfuls in the muffin tray. This is how I made them…

3 eggs
250 gms of goats’ cheese
4 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp salt
2 C whole wheat (atta) flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tblsp dried mint
1 tsp crushed red chillies
1 red pepper, finely chopped
a little milk for brushing the tops and a few sesame seeds for sprinkling on the top

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and grease a muffin tray.
  2. Whisk the eggs.
  3. Add the goats cheese and whisk till smooth.
  4. Add the salt, olive oil, mint and red pepper and whisk again.
  5. Sift together the flour and baking powder and fold into the egg mixture.
  6. Drop tblsp of the mixture into the moulds,brush with a little milk and sprinkle the sesame seeds on the top.
  7. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes or till golden.
  8. Cool in the tray for a few minutes, run a spoon round the sides of each scone and transfer to a rack to cool completely if storing for later. Reheat in the microwave or wrap in foil and heat in a pre heated oven.

We had our soft scones for dinner, with the avocado and cucumber soup I posted a couple of days ago…

Enjoy your weekend :-)

Related posts-

1 Ann July 11, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Absolutely beautiful savory scones!

2 Coffee & Vanilla July 11, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Sunita,

That is a very good idea, I make sometimes feta and pepper muffins… but they more like your scones than muffins in reality! :)

Have a wonderful weekend, Margot

3 notyet100 July 11, 2008 at 4:43 pm

LOOK SO DELICIOUS,.

4 Divya Vikram July 11, 2008 at 5:37 pm

Wow..The scones look pretty..love those red peppers..

5 Richa July 11, 2008 at 5:40 pm

love the color & texture of that squash scone :) any ideas for an eggless one, buttermilk?? tx

6 Shilpa July 11, 2008 at 6:30 pm

Wow such a beautiful ones. I am going to make these soon

7 Zen Chef July 11, 2008 at 6:59 pm

Wow, I like your recipe for goat cheese and red pepper scones. I have to give it a try one of these days. Yum! :-)

8 bee July 11, 2008 at 7:41 pm

now, those are my favourite kind of nibbles – savoury scones. beautiful colours and textures.

9 Alpa July 11, 2008 at 8:01 pm

You have some lucky neighbors! Loved your story BTW, sometimes we forget that everyone is not a terrific cook but they open their doors and hearts to us anyways and offer us whatever they have.

10 Cynthia July 11, 2008 at 8:57 pm

I LOVE your scones!

11 Red Chillies July 11, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Loved the story for your neighbor, even more loved the way you see the best in everybody. Reminds me of the saying “one man’s food is another man’s poison”. But as you said it is love that matters.
oh, btw I do have to complaint; you kill us with those superb pictures and wonderful dishes. :-)

12 KALVA July 12, 2008 at 12:59 am

Lovely post…. Sunitha.. Awesome scones… I want to make some blue berry scones… Lemem look into your other scones..

13 Rachel July 12, 2008 at 4:20 am

Great Pics!!! I make a smilar one with cheese and scallions..butter squash..in scones….I am yet to try this…

14 sunita July 12, 2008 at 7:04 pm

ann,
Thanks :-)

margot,
Thanks…hope you’re enjoying your weekend too :-)

notyet100,
Thanks :-)

15 sunita July 12, 2008 at 7:09 pm

divya,
thanks…I find them pretty too :-)

richa,
Thanks…buttermilk…well, why not…let me know if you try it…in the meanwhile , I’ll try some without eggs too :-)

shilpa,
Thanks…do give them a try :-)

Zen chef,
Thanks…do try them :-)

16 sunita July 12, 2008 at 7:11 pm

bee,
Thanks…we really love them a lot :-)

alpa,
You’re so right…and such persons are always admirable :-)

cynthia,
Thanks dear :-)

17 sunita July 12, 2008 at 7:15 pm

red chillies,
Yes, there are always admirable people around us…and sorry for tempting you so :-P

Kalva,
Thanks…maybe the plain ones would be more suitable for you to add those blueberries:-)

rachel,
Thanks…try them..they taste great :-)

18 Nags July 13, 2008 at 12:36 am

the reason why i tend not to comment about ur recipe is cuz of ur pics :) really drool-worthy!

19 Dee July 13, 2008 at 4:17 am

my vote handsdown goes to pepper and goat cheese scones.. not a fan of butternut sqaush though.. I should try them though… beautiful pictures dear.. as always!!

20 Shreya July 13, 2008 at 7:40 am

Sunita, those scones look so yummy. And yes, the picture looks like it’s been studded with rubies. beautiful…

21 Lisa July 13, 2008 at 8:41 pm

I adore scones and these sound fantastic. Your photos are gorgeous, just gorgeous.

22 Miri July 14, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Great versions….so what is the difference between scones and muffins?

23 Lakshmi July 14, 2008 at 1:44 pm

Hi Sunita- I got introduced to your blog just few days ago. I must say…an awesome blog!! brilliant work! you seem very passionate too. I was scared to enter the baking world…but after I read your blog, I feel a lil more confident. Will try the scones and let you know.

24 JZ @ Tasty treats July 14, 2008 at 2:31 pm

beuatiful story abt ur neighbour!! :-)

the scones look delicious, and the second set really do look as if studded with rubies ;-) delicious post! ;-)

25 sunita July 14, 2008 at 7:12 pm

nags,
aww, sweetie,thank you :-)

dee,
Yes, we did love the goats’ cheese ones a lot…but the butternut squash ones were equally good…do try them :-)

shreya,
thanks :-)
lisa,
Thanks dear…we did enjoy the scones :-)

26 sunita July 14, 2008 at 7:17 pm

miri,
Thanks…usually, scones are lightly kneaded, rolled out, cut out and baked without any moulds…sometimes, i feel too lazy to do all that, as you can see :-P

lakshmi,
You are most welcome…glad to have inspired something in you…do try the scones :-)

jz,
Thanks :-)

27 farida July 14, 2008 at 10:50 pm

I love savory scones a lot and my, yours look really good! I particularly like the squash ones:)

28 Anonymous July 17, 2008 at 5:31 am

Hi! Have been a fan of your blog for a while now. Your idea of making scones like muffins really appealed to me may be because it was so hassle free! The spinach savory ones came out great..thanks for all the low fat creative recipes. They are really a cut above the rest :-)
Jane

29 sunita August 12, 2008 at 8:46 am

farida,
Thanks :-)

Jane,
Thanks…glad you liked them :-)

30 Alexa August 20, 2008 at 9:40 pm

They do look like little gems! I love making savory scones and yet I rarely think of it… Thanks for the inspiration and the wonderful recipes.

31 Dipanita July 8, 2010 at 9:37 am

wow! such gorgeous scones! if I had a mum like you who made such yummy stuff, I’d care two hoots for the shape!!!!!! :) Sunita, can you please give suggestions on egg substitutions? I’d so love to try these………