It was Rengoni’s last day as a Rainbow on Friday.
Her group, was going to bid goodbye to her and two others. Rengoni has really enjoyed her time in the group, but as she was going to be seven next month, it was time for her to move on. As a gesture of appreciation for the wonderful time that she has had , I offered to bake some goodies for her to take and share with the rest of her mates, for her last meeting. I was invited, by her group leader, to stay back and I am really glad that I did so. It was a real pleasure to see all the little girls’ faces, gleam with joy, as Rengoni and I handed round the goodies. I had baked enough, and the adult leaders tucked in too, with great enthusiasm.
I had baked chocolate cupcakes…
and iced, orange flavoured cookies.
Regarding the cupcakes, it was a very random recipe as I just eyeballed the ingredients…I did not see any screwed up faces or complaints as they all thanked me, …and I was happy to have pulled it off…especially, taking into consideration, how honest and uninhibited children are, in giving opinions They did come out very fluffy. But the cookies, yes, I will definitely share the recipe with all of you…
grated zest of one orange
1 C plain flour
1 and 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 tblsp of vegetable fat spread (has much lesser fat content than butter), or butter, melted
a pinch of salt
5 tblsp of dark brown sugar(I used muscovado)
2 tblsp freshly squeezed orange juice
icing sugar and warm milk for the topping
- Whisk together the zest, flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, vegetable fat/butter, sugar and juice.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture,tip in the egg mixture and fold in. Cover the bowl and chill for an hour.
- Pre heat the oven at 170 deg C and line a baking tray.
- Make about 30 balls of the mixture and arrange them on the tray, apart from each other.
- Flatten the balls with the back of a fork, place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or till firm and lightly golden.
- Cool on the tray for a couple of minutes and transfer to a rack to cool completely before storing in air tight containers. They will firm further on cooling.
- If icing the cookies, mix icing sugar with enough warm milk to make a free flowing mixture and drizzle over the cookies.
I was really pleased with the way the cookies turned out…definitely a treat, and perfect for winning over little hearts However, next time, I would probably add a bit more orange zest for flavour. But, all in all, the li’l lady was definitely pleased.