A happy ending..

by Sunita on August 1, 2008

I am sure this must have happened to you at some time or the other – you go to great lengths to cook something and it does not turn out as expected. On the other hand, at other times, you throw together a few ingredients and out comes a very satisfying meal. The latter is always the one which gives me, and probably you too, the utmost satsfaction.

Last night, I opened the door of the refrigerator and stared inside…it was virtually empty. A bowl of dal and some boiled potatoes from the previous night’s dinner, some coriander, an aubergine and some eggs were all that I could see, along with a couple of very sad looking tomatoes. I was horrified; how could this have happened! I know, probably I’m still in the holiday mood ! But dinner time was approaching fast…with the kids around, it’s not easy to keep track of the time…it just whizzes by!

Anyway, the boiled potatoes and dal was mixed with flour and some fresh coriander, kneaded into a soft dough and formed into tortillas. Please refer here for the recipe for plain tortillas.I have not used any other liquid for the tortillas…if your dough is too dry, feel free to add a little water. I eyeballed the ingredients so am not mentioning the measurements.

The eggs and tomatoes (yes, the sad looking ones) were combined to make a quick side dish to go with the tortillas. Along with some achaar (pickle), it did make for a yummy meal.

The recipe for the tomatoes and eggs dish follows. I am sure many of you must be making this in your own way. Usually, in this dish, I add more tomatoes than eggs; say about two large tomatoes for each egg. But, as I had scarce resources at hand and four mouths to feed, I added more eggs than tomatoes, and the finished dish resembled scrambled eggs. But it did taste alright and there was nothing to complain about. This is how I made it-

2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
3 eggs, beaten with a pinch of salt and 2 tblsp of water
1 tblsp oil
1/2 of a small onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
a small bunch of coriander, chopped
salt to taste

For tempering-

1 whole red chilli ,split
1/2 tsp of paas puran
1 bay leaf

1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the ingredients for tempering.
  2. When the seeds splutter, add the tomatoes, onions, turmeric and salt and cook covered over low heat till the tomatoes are mushy.
  3. Add the eggs and the coriander and stir continuously ( or it will stick to the bottom of the pan), till the eggs resemble a scrambled form, and are not overdone. *** They should be soft.

***If the ratio of tomatoes to eggs, is more, the finished dish should have a sort of thick sauce like consistency.

A very simple dish but which went really well with the tortillas. The sad looking tomatoes did not taste sad at all, and I was pleased to see hands eagerly reaching out for second helpings. The tortillas came out very soft too. Now, wasn’t that a really happy ending to a sad start :-)

Enjoy your weekend!

1 Nags August 1, 2008 at 9:32 am

those tomatoes dont look quite happy in the curry though :)

2 Prithi Shetty August 1, 2008 at 10:35 am

Hi Sunita, can you make / publish the recipe for the Perfect Scrambbled Eggs ?

I ate once in Assam and have’t again. Its mostly the American type, plain, just eggs, large creamy looking chunks.

Everytime I make its like egg burji. Not the scrambled eggs I want.

I must be missing something – maybe the # of eggs, or how much to weild the spatula or the heat or some ingredient or what exactly ‘folding gently’ means ? Something.

3 Sia August 1, 2008 at 12:12 pm

i hear u suni… these days i have started experimenting w/o following any recipe instuctions and i am surprised with the results:)
indianised tortillas sound way better than the plain ones:) enjoy ur weekend too sweetie

4 Srivalli August 1, 2008 at 12:40 pm

wow sunita..those are looking so yummy..could never say they looked sorry…:))

5 Mike of Mike's Table August 1, 2008 at 2:01 pm

Looks like you responded to the empty fridge emergency quite well–this looks delicious!

6 Jayashree August 1, 2008 at 2:38 pm

A happy ending indeed!!! Those tomatoes look anything but sorry in that curry…

7 kittie August 1, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Isn’t it great when dishes like this come out of nothing!

8 sunita August 1, 2008 at 3:17 pm

nags,
:-( (…but they did taste good indeed :-)

prithi,
I make my scrambles by heating the pan and oil quite well. Then, I reduce the heat, pour in the beaten eggs and quickly run a whisk through it…if the pan gets too hot, lift it up and keep whisking till they begin to form lumps…has to be done very quickly, or they tend to brown…remove from the pan while still pale in colour and soft…hope this helps :-)

sia,
You’re on the right track…i love dishes made by throwing together ingredients at random…I hardly follow a recipe step by step….well,except, probably the DB challenges….but there too , i have a hard time to stop myself from digressing too much :-D

9 sunita August 1, 2008 at 3:18 pm

srivalli,
Thanks dear…we did enjoy our meal :-)

mike,
Thanks :-)

jayashree,
Thanks…everything did come together quite well :-)

kittie,
Yes, it is indeed a very nice feeling :-)

10 notyet100 August 1, 2008 at 5:25 pm

NICE POST,..ENJOYED READIN,..SOME TIME EXPERIMENTIN WHILE COOKIN REALLY GIVES PLEASURE..SPECIAL WHEN EXPERMIMENTIS SUCCESSFUL..

11 TBC August 1, 2008 at 6:04 pm

I make something similar- kind of like an egg burji.
That meal sure looks good to me!:D

12 Divya Vikram August 1, 2008 at 9:48 pm

Looks too good Sunita..Am trying this for sure..

13 Divya Vikram August 1, 2008 at 10:22 pm

Just wanted to tell this Sunita..I made the egg recipe now immediately after seeing your recipe..And had for lunch..Just perfect!

14 Aparna August 2, 2008 at 2:36 am

I’ve had quite a few of what I call “Mother Hubbard” days!
But we all manage to come up with something.:)
Your egg is a sort of Bhurji?

15 Dee August 2, 2008 at 5:37 am

beautiful recipe dearie.. scrambled eggs is anyday comfort food for my K. I like the idea of paas phoran + egg

16 SMN August 2, 2008 at 8:25 am

Sunita this sounds a great recipe too.. happy weekend :)

17 sunita August 2, 2008 at 6:55 pm

notyet100,
Thanks :-)

tbc,
See, I told you…there must be zillions of versions of this recipe…but it does taste nice, doesn’t it :-)

divya,
Glad you liked the recipe :-)

18 sunita August 2, 2008 at 7:02 pm

Aparna,
Yes,and those meals are the ones which gives me immense pleasure :-)

dee,
Thanks…we mostly use paas puran for the tempering, followed closely by cumin seeds :-)

smn,
Thanks :-)

19 delhibelle August 4, 2008 at 3:36 am

I love such ‘a bit of this, a splash of that meals’, and yours looks so comforting and yum.

20 sunita August 4, 2008 at 11:52 am

delhibelle,
thanks :-)

21 Shreya August 4, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Love the picture..:-)

22 Suganya August 5, 2008 at 12:27 am

That is how you should feed scrambled eggs under a disguise ;) . But hey, its a brilliant idea.

23 Susan from Food Blogga August 6, 2008 at 4:06 am

I could eat this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I love savory eggs with tortillas, and these look amazing!