Daring Bakers are not baking this month- they’re deep frying instead!!

by Sunita on November 27, 2009

That was what got me when I went to check the daring bakers’ challenge for this month. The daring bakers were not “baking ” this month. Instead, we were supposed to be deep frying. We do not deep fry often at our home, but this being a challenge, I, like most of my fellow daring bakers, embraced it .

The November 2009 Daring Bakers Challenge was chosen and hosted by Lisa Michele of Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives. She chose the Italian Pastry, Cannolo (Cannoli is plural), using the cookbooks Lidia’s Italian-American Kitchen by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich and The Sopranos Family Cookbook by Allen Rucker; recipes by Michelle Scicolone, as ingredient/direction guides. She added her own modifications/changes, so the recipe is not 100% verbatim from either book.

The recipe is pretty straightforward and I did not have any problems with it. In fact, we were given quite a lot of freedom , especially regarding the filling, and I do like that. The only hitch was that I did not have the  typical cannoli tubes to make the shapes. But again, fellow daring bakers came to the rescue with plenty of options. And Idecied to use dried pasta to wrap the rolled pieces of dough. I made mini sizes with some dried penne pasta ( inspired by her).

Instead of plain flour, I used whole wheat. I made half of the given amount  and from that, I divided it into half again. I made a sweet portion by adding some cocoa powder to the dough.

I spiced up the other portion with some paprika, cumin seeds, black sesame seeds and crushed red chillies to make savoury cannoli; did not add any cinnamon to the savoury version.

I shaped the savoury ones in the typical cannoli shape and the sweet ones rectangular . I filled the savory version with some soured cream and dipped the edges in a mixture of crushed red chillies and black sesame seeds.

The sweet version was stacked with a mixture of whipped cream and a layer of orange pieces. A few orange pieces were also placed on the top and the whole dessert was dusted with icing sugar.

We adored the savoury version. All the spices had really perked up the cannoli shells and the simple filling with the heat and bite from the chilli and sesame seeds added the final touch.

You can find the recipe here.

Thanks Lisa for this lovely challenge.

Now I need to pack my bags for the Food Bloggers Connect in London tomorrow. Those of you who are attending, hope to catch you there. Have a great weekend and I will see you next week.

1 Aparna November 27, 2009 at 3:07 pm

These look lovely, Sunita. Specially the stacked version. :)
Have fun at FBC (remember me once in a while LOL) and see you when you get back. Have a wonderful weekened.

2 Asha@FSK November 27, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Love the idea of chilli flakes and sesame, Sunita !!!!! the stacked version looks like a millefeuille and sooo rich!!!

Have a great time in London.. look forward to the stories :) )

3 Katie November 27, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Wow you have been so inventive! All your cannoli look amazing! The mini ones around the penne pasta are so cute!!!

4 Sarah, Maison Cupcake November 27, 2009 at 4:56 pm

These look great, I have been checking out quite a few DB cannoli today but I haven’t seen any other savoury ones so these stand out. See you at FBC!

5 Kim November 27, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Your savory cannolis look delicious! So glad the pasta method worked out for you too :-)

6 Rosa November 27, 2009 at 11:22 pm

What great cannoli! I love all your creations!

7 Sudeshna November 28, 2009 at 4:20 am

Sunita,
Wish you have a great time at FBC. I am so eager to know what went on there. Please do write about it as soon as you get back.

8 Audax Artifex November 30, 2009 at 2:21 pm

WOW WOW WOW the look of the cannoli stack is amazing love the colour so black well done and the fillings sound delicious. Cheers from Audax in Australia.

9 diva November 30, 2009 at 2:24 pm

mmm i like i like!! great photos. i think, despite my sweet tooth, would definitely go for the savoury version instead. something different.

10 Ivy December 1, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Your cannoli look delicious especially the savory ones are mouthwatering.

11 Lisa December 2, 2009 at 2:11 pm

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW, Sunita, your cannoli are so unique and lovely, especially the savory version which I’m in love/lust with! You really blew this challenge over the top! Thank you so much for taking part in my challenge this month!