Some indulgence…

by Sunita on August 25, 2008

Firstly, the li’l guy (and of course, his mom) thanks all of you who took the time to drop by and leave warm wishes on his special day…we do appreciate it very much.

On another note, chicken is the meat that is mostly found on our plates, but not that often.We usually have it just once a week, well, sometimes, not even that at all. We are more a ‘fishy’ type of family(now, wipe off that smirk from your faces….you know what I mean ;-) )

The creamy cashew chicken that is featured in today’s post is definitely not one for the faint hearted…

is liberally doused in butter, cream and cashewnuts. If this has scared you, you better make your quiet exit now, I’m not looking :-) But, if you’ve been good with your health for quite a while, and wouldn’t mind in indulging in a rich and creamy chicken curry, for a treat, then, you’re most welcome to join me in the journey.

This is one curry which we indulged on, after how many days? Well, I simply don’t know…let’s say ‘ages’. But, it was truly a treat…chicken, slow cooked in a mixture of fresh and ground spices and ending with a rich cashew and cream mixture, resulting in a heavenly gravy.The ingredient list is a bit long, but this is supposed to be an indulgence, remember? The process, is also relatively simple, but, with uncompromising results in the taste department. Here’s how I made this decadent and creamy cashew chicken .

750gms of chicken pieces (I used mixed pieces from a whole chicken)
3/4 C of cashewnuts, soaked in water for 15-20 minutes and ground to a slightly rough paste(using enough water)
4-5 (more or less) dried red chillies, slit,deseeded and soaked in hot water for 15-20 minutes
2 onions, chopped
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 tblsp tomato puree
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tblsp kitchen king masala
1 tsp garam masala powder
salt to taste

1. Grind together the onion, ginger, garlic and soaked red chillies to a rough paste and keep aside.
  2. Heat the butter in a pan, over medium heat, and add the bay leaves, cumin seeds, whole red chilli, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
  3. When the spices begin to release their aroma, add the sugar. When the sugar melts and begins to caramalise, add the onion, ginger, garlic and chilli paste. Add the turmeric powder, kitchen king spice blend and tomato puree, and fry, stirring continuously till the moisture evaporates and the mixture becomes lumpy.
  4. Add the chicken and season with salt. Stir well, cover and cook over low heat, stirring now and then, till the chicken is very nearly done and the juices have reduced to half.
  5. Add the cashew-cream mixture and the garam masala powder. Stir, and simmer over low heat till the chicken is completely done. If the gravy thickens too much, add a little water.
  6. Remove from heat and serve hot with rotis/naans/puris or plain rice and some fresh salad.

That’s it…not too hard to make, is it! I got our rotis made while the chicken was cooking away to glory over low heat. As this is a rich curry, there were some left for the next day, which tasted even better :-)

Enjoy!

******************************************************************************

‘Think spice…’ turns ‘One’ this month. To celebrate, the choice of spice has been left to you. All that needs to be done is to cook up a dish with your favourite spice, taking care not to drown it with too many others, and send them over. The last date to send in entries is the 31st of August,08. Hurry… 6 more days to go!

The rules for participation can be found here. Non- bloggers are welcome to join in.

1 Nags August 25, 2008 at 12:58 pm

if i cooked non veg at home, this wud have been a must-try. but i only make it at my mom’s place and there we feed a large bunch of people so maybe this recipe is too indulgent :)

sigh..

2 Mishmash ! August 25, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Taking my share of the ‘thank-you’ slice :) this deft’ly comes under”indulgence”…with that 3/4 c cashew nuts and cream, it should be really rich and tasty…bookmarking it !

3 Srivalli August 25, 2008 at 4:19 pm

oh…thats lovely cake sunita…happy birthday to your son….

that curry looks great…bhoooo you didnt’ send any for the mela!..:((

4 sunita August 25, 2008 at 4:45 pm

nags,
aww, maybe you’ll find a place somewhere to make it :-)

shn,
You’re most welcome :-) …yes, it is a very rich curry, a little goes a very long way.

srivalli,
Thanks…as for the curry mela, I completely forgot…sorry…life’s been a bit crazy, these days…btw, if you want , I can still send it to you :-)

5 Sangeeth August 25, 2008 at 5:37 pm

yummy …all pics r so luring…..

6 Divya Vikram August 25, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Rich ,creamy and yumm..A must try..

7 karuna August 25, 2008 at 6:42 pm

ooh my god, all i want to do right now, is take a plate get some of tht chicken and hide myslef in a corner savouring it. its been a while i ate home made chicken as my hubby is a veg. this looks sooo yummy. i am ready for such an indulgence anytime……..nice recipe

8 Meeta August 25, 2008 at 8:07 pm

Umm now this is a rockin recipe for chicken. I have not been that good but hey – I am still gonna indulge in this.
Thanks for stopping by to wish Soeren! Just posted a pic of his cake – come have a look!

9 Pearlsofeast August 26, 2008 at 12:11 am

Sunita,the slice looks so nice and of course the chicken,absolutely delectable.

10 Lunch Buckets August 26, 2008 at 3:53 am

That curry looks scrumptious!

11 Sangeetha August 26, 2008 at 6:02 am

Hi Sunitha,

Made saffron yogurt chicken yday…it was excellent.Thank you so much for recipe….making these wonderful dishes make me feel am a great cook ;) Adding sugar is a great tip:)can’t wait to try the cashew chicken this weekend.Lovely Pic:)

12 Miri August 26, 2008 at 6:35 am

I just cooked (and drafted a blog post) Creamy Cashew Chicken on the weekend! But your’s is definitely much more generously buttered and cashewed than mine :) and must be more delicious too :)

13 sunita August 26, 2008 at 8:43 am

sangeeth,
Thanks :-)

divya,
Thanks…do give it a try :-)

karuna,
Thanks..give it a try, whenever you can, and want to pamper yourself :-)

meeta,
I too haven’t been that good, but still indulged…isn’t that naughty ;-) …hope Soeren had a great day, the cake looks great :-)

14 sunita August 26, 2008 at 8:48 am

pearlsofeast,
Thanks…we did enjoy it a lot :-)

lunch buckets,
Thanks :-)

sangeetha,
Thanks…glad you liked the earlier curry, hope you enjoy this one too :-)

miri,
Yes, this was a very rich curry. Will watch out for your version..am sure yours must have tasted great too :-)

15 notyet100 August 26, 2008 at 12:04 pm

looks yum,.will try ur version,.thnks for sharin,.:-)

16 A_and_N August 26, 2008 at 5:02 pm

I think I will substitute the chicken with someting veggie coz am dying to try this!

17 Alison August 26, 2008 at 7:56 pm

Sunita, what is “kitchen king masala”?

18 farida August 26, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Our family loves chicken! And I am always hungry for new chicken recipes:) Yours is fabulous!

19 sunita August 26, 2008 at 8:56 pm

notyet100,
Thanks…do give it a try :-)

a_and_n,
Do feel free to adjust accprding to your preference…I have made paneer in a somewhat similar way too :-)

alison,
It is a multi purpose spice mix, found in most Indian grocery stores…please click on the link in the ingredient list to learn more.

farida,
Thanks…we did love this curry indeed…was a treat for us :-)

20 Sandy Smith August 27, 2008 at 1:09 am

Oh my, this looks so delicious! Definitely worth the indulgence – perhaps a couple of “salad” days afterward (to accommodate sneaking down to the kitchen to polish off the leftovers!)? Thanks for the recipe!

21 Rachel August 27, 2008 at 1:53 am

How could I not indulge myself wit that creamy and rich dish…Yummm…

22 Priti August 27, 2008 at 5:44 am

Indeed rich, creamy gravy…looks just fab..& thanks for the slice of cake..:)

23 Sameera.. August 27, 2008 at 4:07 pm

The cake loooks so mouth-watering and so does the chicken !
With cashews I can imagine how rich it must be !
Cant wait to try it – ‘bookmarked’ !
Best Rgds,
Sam !

24 Ramya August 28, 2008 at 7:14 pm

Belated Bday wishes to Agastya…. Congrats on ur first anniversary for ‘Think Spice’ Event, Sunita. I got a surprise for you at http://ramya65.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-first-award.html. Have a great day!!

25 Swati August 29, 2008 at 12:03 pm

The recipe looks yummy… never mind the richness.. does good once in a while :) )

26 sunita September 2, 2008 at 10:09 am

sandy,
lol, we went ‘light’ for quite a few days after this meal :-) …but do give it a try :-)

rachel,
Yes, it’s quite an indulgence :-)

priti,
Thanks :-)

27 sunita September 2, 2008 at 10:11 am

sameera,
Yes, this was a very rich gravy…do give it a try :-)

Ramya,
Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts :-)

swati,
Yes, this was definitely an indulgence :-)