Back to school and a treat…

by Sunita on September 3, 2008

It’s back to school today…and once again, I found myself a bit hesitant to enter the house…the quiet and grim house… after dropping the kids off at school. It seems so different after six weeks of non stop hustle and bustle, laughter, and of course, the squabbles.

But, on the brighter side, it was nice to see them so enthusiastic and ready to start another new year in a new class and, of course, in smart new uniforms…don’t they grow out of their clothes so quickly :-) Yes, it was nice a nice ride to their school, taking in the slight nip, which accompanies the air, at this time of the year.

Some time back, I was on a peanut butter and nutella high. It seemed as if I couldn’t have enough of them… gorged on them like there was no tomorrow….and the waistline shows it all :-(

Now, let me share a very simple recipe with you today. The following crispy nutella squares…

were made over the holidays. They are very easy to make and is a nice treat.

1C wheat flakes
3 and 1/2 tblsp whole wheat flour(atta)
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
a pinch of salt
4 tblsp nutella
2 tblsp oil
3-4 drops of vanilla essence
5 tblsp hot water

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and line an 8 inch square pan with aluminium foil.
  2. In a bowl, mix together the wheat flakes, flour, salt and soda.
  3. In another bowl, mix together the nutella, oil and vanilla and water.
  4. Add the nutella mix to the flour mix and mix well with fingertips.
  5. Transfer the mix to the the lined pan and spread out evenly, pressing down at the same time ( the mixture may be a bit sticky…damp fingertips will help ).
  6. place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 20-22 minutes.
  7. Cut into 16 squares and cool completely on a rack before storing in air tight containers.

That’s it! Yummy , crispy, nutella treats are now ready to be munched.

**********************************************************************************
Think spice…

This month’s edition of Think spice… is being hosted by Kittie of Kittens in the Kitchen. She has chosen fenugreek as the spice of the month. Do check out her space for the rules. The deadline for the event is the 28th of September.

1 Asha September 3, 2008 at 12:52 pm

I am LOVING the “alone” time since kids started school! ;D

Yeah! It feels different when they they go school. How is Ganesha festival going? I didn’t realize it’s today, no plans for anything special but making Naan and chana masala for dinner! :P

Renovations are coming along. Enjoy the cooler weather Sunita, see you later!:))

2 Seattle Tall Poppy September 3, 2008 at 1:11 pm

These look delicious! I can’t wait to give them a try…

3 kittie September 3, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Mmmmmm – when I read this I thought you meant these squares had peanut butter and nutella in them… which I’m thinking might be a nice adaption, just swirled through before baking…! ;)

4 sunita September 3, 2008 at 1:52 pm

asha,
Today was the first ‘alone’ day, so the house does seema bit empty :-(

It’s really nice to see you back…hope you had agreat break :-)

seattle tall poppy,
Thanks…do give them a try :-)

kittie,
I did want to add both, but thought it would be a bit too much :-)

5 Bhawana September 3, 2008 at 1:59 pm

You have tried so many things in baking, cakes and cookies I really liked few of them. I added ur blog in my favourites and decided to try from ur blog only. I started baking just b4 a week :) . cant take risk :) ).

6 Rachel September 3, 2008 at 2:12 pm

I can relate with the feeling….

I am a big fan of nutella…I just scoop from the bottle and eat to my pleasure each time I pass by it….stopped buying it to stop my gorging!!1

these squares look neat….an excuse for me to buy a bottle of nutella!!!

7 Poonam September 3, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Hi Sunita, these bars look delicious.

Also, I have sent my entry for Think Spice event for the month of August. My e-mail sometimes ends into the spam folder. Could you please check on that and get back to me in case you need me to send it again?

Thanks,
Poonam

8 notyet100 September 3, 2008 at 3:28 pm

look yum,..hppy ganesha chaturthi…

9 Divya Vikram September 3, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Looks healthy n delicious Sunita.

10 Usha September 3, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Oooh these look like great fun,I am adding nutella to my next grocery list..:)

11 FoodyGuru (Srimathi) September 3, 2008 at 6:45 pm

Nutella! lord I had to stay away from that thing. It is so tasty and peanut butter and nutella is a killer combo. Those pictures are awesome. Good job!

12 Divya September 3, 2008 at 7:45 pm

This looks lovely! Great pics.
I love nutella, I just eat them by the jars!

13 Vaishali September 3, 2008 at 8:51 pm

Those look so delicious, Sunita, I almost wish I could eat Nutella! Great job.

14 A_and_N September 3, 2008 at 11:56 pm

I love Nutella and Peanut butter too! Stopped buying Nutella and you know why :(

Peanut butter is still tempting coz we use it for Thai food, so it remains. Sigh. The pressures of the waistline!

The bars look good :)

15 Pearlsofeast September 4, 2008 at 12:51 am

Sunita,this is a lovely treat,Me too scared of the separation anxiety.

16 Nirmala September 4, 2008 at 5:43 am

The squares are fabulous Sunita and I literally drool over them! Looks so easy to make too. Will give a try!

17 sunita September 4, 2008 at 8:18 am

bhawana,
Thanks…I’m sure you’ll do a wonderful job…just needs a bit of practice :-)

rachel,
I do that too…have promised myself not to buy any for a while now, let’s see :-)

poonam,
I have received your entry and have also replied to it some time ago…so please don’t worry :-)

notyet100,
Thanks :-)

divya,
Thanks :-)

18 sunita September 4, 2008 at 8:20 am

usha,
Thanks …do give them a try :-)

srimanthi,
yes, nutella is addictive, isn’t it?Do give these squares a try :-)

divya,
Thanks :-)

vaishali,
Thanks :-)

19 sunita September 4, 2008 at 8:22 am

a_and_n,
I understand :-D …why do such yummy things have to be so fatty :-(

pearlsofeast,
thanks…as for the kids, the first day, is always bad…but then, you get used to the routine :-)

nirmala,
Thanks…do give them a try…they are as easy as easy can be.

20 Aparna September 4, 2008 at 10:12 am

I’m not surprised, Sunita. Anyone could get “high” on these. They look gorgeous.
This week’s vacation for my daughter becuase of Ganesh Chathurthi celebrations.
Festive greetings.

21 SMN September 4, 2008 at 12:14 pm

hey Sunita’s so u must really bored without kids at home now.. i guess u will can give more time to lovely recipes :)

Did u use nutella chocalate or pe nut butter confused. squares look amazing..

22 Madhu September 4, 2008 at 1:50 pm

Mmmm..Nutella..how come this tastes bad?Looks very delicious..Will try them soon!

23 bee September 4, 2008 at 6:50 pm

i’m not looking at these. we made your rice squares a second time and took them on our camping trip. :D

24 raaji September 4, 2008 at 9:50 pm

vow love those…just a few ingredients..urges me to make those squares…..

25 Cynthia September 5, 2008 at 12:28 am

Oh Sunita, those photographs make a non-chocolate lover like me, crave some!

26 Tom Aarons September 5, 2008 at 6:57 am

I’m on a coffee break at the moment and I’m wishing I had these! :)

27 Clumbsy Cookie September 5, 2008 at 10:12 am

That’s really a treat! Nutella is one of my best friends!

28 Corinne September 7, 2008 at 5:33 am

Those look heavenly. Nutella is to die for.

29 sunita September 7, 2008 at 8:09 am

Aparna,
They are tempting indeed…enjoy your break with your young lady :-)

smn,
Thanks..I used nutella only for these.

madhu,
Thanks..do give them a try :-)

be,
Ues, the rice bars rae great on road trips..,we take them frequently too :-)

30 sunita September 7, 2008 at 8:11 am

raaji,
Thanks…do give them a try :-)

cynthia,
Try them..they are not too chocolatey :-)

tom,
Thanks…make them..so easy :-)

31 sunita September 7, 2008 at 8:13 am

clumbsy cookie,
Thanks…I am trying to push Nutella away…but, as you can see, i am not yet successful :-)

corinne,
Thanks…nutella is addictive, isn’t it :-)

32 kellypea September 19, 2008 at 10:49 pm

These look really, really tasty. I’ve never tried nutella, believe it or not! This may be a perfect recipe to give it a go. Delicious.

33 Jennifer October 3, 2008 at 2:15 am

mmm, that looks delicious!!! I”m going to have to try that recipe…

34 Penélope Herrera March 1, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Hello, I discovered your website no so long ago and I have fallen in love with it, specially the baking section. I really admire people and foodies who care about promoting healthy habits (I’m against the “sugar & butter cult) and at the same time show that wholesome is also delicious! I was wondering if maybe it would be possible to add chopped and toasted hazelnuts to these squares? With all my admiration, The Blacksmith :)