A triple…

by Sunita on September 8, 2008

Hope all of you have had a great start to the week.

As I was about to write this post, it dawned on me, that, this is actually my 3o1st post. I didn’t realise that I had reached the mark already. And I immediately felt a wave of nostalgia come over me. How could I have thought, on that cold December night of 2006, that, something which I was starting, without anything particular in mind, would go on to become such a real passion. It was such a casual start….just look at the name…’Sunita’s world’…it’s as simple as that…no second thoughts. But, again, it was meant to be a reflection of my simple world… a record of my ramblings as I sailed through life. It was not for any audience…was just like an online diary. After spending the day in a flurry of activities, running after two young kids, this was my ‘me time’, so to speak.

I loved to write and I loved to cook and bake. The kitchen has always been my lab…and I started to record the results of my experiments along with my thoughts…the reason…so that I could return to them, for reference, if needed. And then, came the comments and the emails…so, someone was actually reading them! How strange! And from then on, started the bond, the bond that we food bloggers share. Countries, religion, nothing matters…all bound by the common love of food. And those people, all of you wonderful people, most of whom I haven’t even seen, have become a part of my life…encouraging and sharing…I have learnt so much from all of you…not just about food, but of different aspects of life as well.

I was overwhelmed the most, earlier on in this year, when I mistakenly ( read ’stupidly’) deleted my blog! Do you remember that? More than a years’ worth of work, wiped out in a second. But then, the love started pouring in. So many of you – some of whose names, I hadn’t even heard of before that day- came forward, with suggestions, with bookmarked posts, even going through Googles’ caches, trying to recover my posts, and of course, the moral support. No, I did not ask you to go through all that immense trouble, but then, you don’t need to tell friends that, do you? I just asked for suggestions, you did much more than that…yes, with every email that I received that day, my eyes were misty all over again. It was a very long day…the next morning, Google did restore my blog, but all the love and concern of the previous day, made an indelible impression on me. Thank you everyone, for being there.

Maybe, I should head back to the kitchen, now… Right! I made these blueberry, cornmeal and banana cupcakes,

many, many moons ago. Just remembered when Rengoni was asking about them. So here goes…

1 egg
1 large , ripe banana, mashed
4 tblspn of dark brown sugar
5 tblsp oil
5 tblsp of milk
1 C fine cornmeal
1/2 C wholewheat flour (atta)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
a pinch of salt
a handful of blueberries, slightly poked

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and line a cupcake tray.
  2. Whisk together the egg, banana, oil, milk and sugar.
  3. In another bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon powder, salt and blueberries.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the egg mixture.
  5. Fold in. Spoon tblsps of the mixture into the cupcake cases ( makes 8)
  6. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake till a toothpick inserted, comes out clean. **

** Sorry, I am unable to give the exact time for baking. When the cupcakes begin to rise and the blueberries begin to leave their juices for a while, and the tops are firm and crack, that would be a nice time to do the test. Just remember that due to the juices from the berries, the toothpick may have some of it sticking to it.

The cupcakes were really soft and not overtly sweet.

Enjoy!

1 Rachel September 8, 2008 at 12:05 pm

Oh yes I remember the day your blog got deleted..

I would love to make these..but will have to suffice with dried bluberries for now :)

2 Sia September 8, 2008 at 1:19 pm

wohoo… congrats Suni :) 300 is a big milestone.
and loved reading ur post. very well written. i am really glad u decided to start blogging on cold december day and open ur warm and cosy world to us. so congrats once again dear:)

3 bee September 8, 2008 at 1:33 pm

congrats on 301 beautiful posts.

4 kittie September 8, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Congratulations! I love your blog, in fact I found it just before the accident happened… now that I have been blogging longer I can barely imagine how terrible that must have been.

5 Shilpa September 8, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Congrats dear Sunita on a milestone. (I think the start date was 2006 not 2007 right??).
Love the pictures and amazing writeup on this blog. Keep it up.

6 Curry Leaf September 8, 2008 at 2:20 pm

Congrats on you 301 posts.Most of them are bookmarked.This too is

7 Priya September 8, 2008 at 2:51 pm

dec 2007 you say, and 301 posts, I have my head in the mud like an ostrich right now :D Congratulations Sunita, it has been wonderful reading your posts and knowing you through them :)

8 Mandira September 8, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Congratulations Sunita on your 300 posts milestone. Looking forward to many more delicious posts.

9 FoodyGuru (Srimathi) September 8, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Good job for crossing 300.It is amazing when you do something you are passionate about and one does not know the time or the posts go by and then one fine day you look back and see that you have come a long way. congrats. Your muffins look very delicious.

10 Srivalli September 8, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Thats great Sunita..congrats!..wishes for many more to come!

11 musical September 8, 2008 at 5:23 pm

Congratulations on this milestone, Sunita! And much love to you and this beautiful space.

hugs,
musical.

12 Divya September 8, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Congrats Sunita, Lovely recipes. Keep up the good work.

13 ANJALI J. September 8, 2008 at 5:37 pm

Each time my hubby gets blueberries from the grocery, i used to yell at him cos i never liked them.. this time i will surprise him by preparing this.. thanks!

14 Sangeeth September 8, 2008 at 6:04 pm

congrats!! great going….

15 sra September 8, 2008 at 6:27 pm

I’ve barely done 150 posts and I’m almost two years old! Great going, Sunita!
And I have to say, those must be some of the fattest and perfectly photographed blueberries I’ve ever seen.

16 sunita September 8, 2008 at 6:45 pm

rachel,

do try them :-)

sia,
Thank you so much dear…it’s been a pleasure to have you in my world :-)

bee,
Thanks…love having you over :-)

kittie,
Yes, wasn’t that such a disaster :-)

17 sunita September 8, 2008 at 6:49 pm

shilpa,
see, that’s why you need friends to keep you on track…2006 it is :-) …thanks for pointing it out…and also for youe wishes :-)

curry leaf,
Thanks :-)

priya,
sorry, sorry, it’s 2006…would have found it really hard to complete all this in such a short span ;-)

mandita,
Thanks…nice knowing you :-)

18 sunita September 8, 2008 at 6:51 pm

foodyguru,
Thanks…yes, it’s a really nice feeling :-)

srivalli,
Thanks dear :-)

musical,
Thank you so much sweetie…a pleasure to have known you :-)

divya,
Thanks :-)

19 sunita September 8, 2008 at 6:56 pm

anjali,
:-D ..do give them a try :-)

sangeeth,
Thanks :-)

sra,
Thanks… and (embarrassed blush)..erm, it’s actually from 2006!

20 karuna September 8, 2008 at 7:25 pm

congrats on ure 301st post. remarkable indeed. love the blueberris muffins.and as always lovely pics

21 Divya Vikram September 8, 2008 at 7:40 pm

That is a great recipe..And congrats on reaching the milestone Sunita..

22 Anonymous September 8, 2008 at 10:18 pm

Congrats for 301 post…i am a regular reader of your blog and have tried many recipes,all of them have turned out very good.your write up are very warm and heart touching.

Rashmi

23 Chimera September 9, 2008 at 12:45 am

Hi Sunita, I have only lately stumbled into food world (read got married) I used to be an ardent blogger but gave up just like that..

Read your post and I felt a lump in my throat..blogging is so special..may be I shall revive my blog once more..loads of wishes and love :)

24 Purnima September 9, 2008 at 6:47 am

Sunita, Heartiest congo on ur 3rd century! Magnificient posts n gorgeous pics, with splendid writeup..You are so special to food blog world and readers who recieve such yummolicious visual treat here!
Thanks for sharing!(BBM’s look splendid!)

25 SMN September 9, 2008 at 9:54 am

Congrats 300 is a very big mark girl.. and loved reading ur writing.. keep goin.. lovely muffin.

26 Usha September 9, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Congrats on reaching this milestone Sunita….many more to come…the cupcakes look fantastic :)

27 Megan September 9, 2008 at 2:26 pm

Wonderful recipe! I will have to try this. Congrats on the milestone!

28 Richa September 9, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Congrats on the milestone, Sunita! has been a pleasure visiting ur beautiful space :)

29 sunita September 9, 2008 at 6:59 pm

karuna,
Thanks :-)

Divya V,
Thanks :-)

rashmi,
Thanks…glad you like my space and have enjoyed my recipes :-)

chimera,
There is no time like now…maybe you should come back to blogging :-)

30 sunita September 9, 2008 at 7:02 pm

purnima,
Thanks for your kind words…its been nice to know you too :-)

smn,
Thanks dear :-)

usha,
Thanks for your wishes :-)

megan,
Thanks…do give the muffins a try :-)

richa,
Thanks…its been a pleasure to have known you too :-)

31 Kalai September 9, 2008 at 11:17 pm

My heartfelt congratulations on your 300th post, Sunita. Among many others, I’m also so glad that you decided to start a blog and share the delicious fruits of your labor in your kitchen. Each post is a delight to read and drool over!

32 Uj September 10, 2008 at 1:23 am

Congratulations!! Its a milestone.. Love your write up.. It feels so heartfelt. I am glad you started blogging else we would have missed a lot…

33 Jyothsna September 10, 2008 at 5:13 am

Congratulations on the milestone!

34 Jude September 11, 2008 at 2:48 am

Sounds like a healthy treat. I love recipes like this that combine fruits and whole wheat.

35 Peabody September 11, 2008 at 8:57 am

A good twist on a classic. Congrats on the big 300.

36 sunita September 11, 2008 at 10:47 am

kalai,
Thanks…nice to have known you :-)

uj,
Thanks…glad to be a part of this wonderful world :-)

jyothsna,