Quince, cranberry and raisin chutney

by Sunita on December 14, 2009

Boxes, suitcases, everywhere! The whole house is starting to look like a store house, of sorts. And yes, while emptying shelves and wardrobes, so many little forgotten treasures are being unearthed! Somehow, looking at them,one marvels as to how they had been stashed away and forgotten. I’m a bit wary of emptying the kitchen, wonder what I’ll find!

Yes, rummaging does reveal quite a few hidden treasures. Just like the pictures of the following quince, cranberry and raisin chutney.

I had made it a while ago, and forgotten to post it. It was good that I was just going through my pictures the other day and found them. I really loved this chutney with it’s mix of sweetness from the fruits and heat from the chillies.

It is a very simple recipe. If you do not have quince, you can substitute it with  pears, apples, or a mixture of both. In such cases, the cooking time will also need to be reduced, as quince is quite a tough fruit and takes much longer to cook.

4 C of quince pieces ( I needed 2 quinces, cut into small pieces)
3 tsp of crushed red chillies ( more or less)
2 bay leaves
3-4 tblsp of honey
2 inch stick of cinnamon
3 cardamom pods, slightly split
3-4 cloves
1C of water
1/2 C of dried cranberries+ raisins
5-6 tblsp of orange juice

1. Except the cranberries and raisins ( I had put them in at this stage, and they were too soft by the end, so am giving an alternative time to put them in ), place all the rest of the ingredients in a wide and thick bottomed pan. Stir well and place over heat.
  2. Bring the contents of the pan to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for about 25 minutes. Add the cranberries and raisins and cook for another 10-20 minutes or till the quince is really soft. You can keep it as it is, or mash it a little if you want a smoother consistency.
  3. Stir till very thick and most of the moisture has evaporated.
  4. Cool completely before storing. The above measurements yielded about 2C of the chutney.

This was really very tasty, if I may say so myself. There was something about the combination of the fruity, hot and sweet of the chutney, that made me want to come back to it again and again.

Enjoy, while I go and do some more packing!

1 Radhika Vasanth December 14, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I love this chutney just for the concoction of different tastes. A perfect dip for the chilly season

2 Rosa December 14, 2009 at 6:38 pm

An original chutney! I bet it tastes lovely!

3 Divya Vikram December 14, 2009 at 7:01 pm

Chutney looks tangy and delicious.

4 Soma December 15, 2009 at 3:52 am

Reminds me of the mishti chutney back home :-) Mmmmm..

5 Hélène December 15, 2009 at 4:13 am

I love any chutneys. Delicious.

6 Nirmala December 15, 2009 at 6:16 am

I am having some apples lying in the fridge. Would try this with apples. It would tast best when smeared on a hot phulka right Sunita?

7 Sarah, Maison Cupcake December 15, 2009 at 8:22 am

Good luck with the move Sunita. I am impressed you are managing to blog the same week! I have bought some quince this week and hadn’t thought of making chutney with it.

8 Bethany December 15, 2009 at 9:48 am

I just love the feeling when I find a long lost recipe/post! Such festive colours and flavours! Sounds wonderful!

9 Erica December 15, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Your pictures are fantastic! Your chutney sounds wonderful.

10 Sarka December 16, 2009 at 12:02 am

Ha ha, I’ve experienced the same when moving to London! :) This chutney looks really delicious. I like the chilies in the recipe.

11 Eric December 16, 2009 at 10:01 am

Interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever had chutney. Thanks; I’ll try this!

12 lisaiscooking December 17, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Sounds like a delicious mix of flavors!

13 Jeanne @ Cooksister! January 14, 2010 at 12:56 pm

There are few things that I love more than a spicy, fruity chutney (growing up, my favourite was Mrs Balls’ peach chutney in South Africa…). I love the colours and flavours of your chutney, and having made some green tomato & apple chutney last year, I am encouraged by just how easy it is! Beautiful pics, as always.