A little sweetness…

by Sunita on September 17, 2008

Fridge cleaning…yes, that’s when you need to empty everything stored inside it- yes, even those small tubs and tubes that get tucked away more and more into the remote corners, as newer entries make their way to be chilled. And then, you discover that the tub or tube of this and that, that you’ve been meaning to use for quite a while, were, just a few days short of their expiry date. And then you hurriedly try to concoct something to prevent the guilt of throwing it away…in times as the present, throwing away sounds too criminal.

So, preventing the guilt was exactly what I did…a couple of days ago, when I was cleaning the fridge, and landed on a tub of ricotta cheese. Life has been throwing us a few challenges the last few days…you now, the kind when you look too much ahead and begin to dread what might lay in the future …whether the light at the end of the tunnel will be a really bright one…of course, I am presuming that there will be a light – there has to be :-) The following Ricotta and pistachio brownies were, therefore, concocted and duly enjoyed by us. We definitely needed the sweetness.

The following is the very simple recipe for the above brownies…

250 gms of ricotta cheese
125 gms of plain chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
1 C pistachios, roughly ground
1C applesauce
2 tblsp honey
7 tblsps of whole wheat flour(atta)
1/2 C of hot water

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C. Line an 8 inch square pan with foil and grease it(I used non stick spray)
  2. Whisk together the ricotta, honey and applesauce.
  3. Add the flour, chocolate, 3/4 of the pistachios and the hot water, one by one, whisking well after each addition.
  4. Transfer the mix to the prepared pan and smooth the top.
  5. Sprinkle the rest of the nuts on the top. Place the pan in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 30 minutes. Cover the top with foil ( to avoid over browning the top) and bake for another 25-27 minutes.
  6. Cool in the pan for 4-5 minutes. Lift it up gently with the foil and transfer to a rack. It will be very soft at this stage. Tastes great even now. Cut into squares and enjoy. But, if you like it firmer, cool completely before devouring. But, it does taste best when slightly warm.

Enjoy! And get ready to face life’s challenges :-)

1 Divya Vikram September 17, 2008 at 10:55 pm

Delectable Sunita!

2 ttfn300 September 17, 2008 at 10:59 pm

These look absolutely delightful! Much better than throwing away the ricotta ;-)

3 Rachel September 18, 2008 at 1:38 am

it just looks absolutely lovely and so very moist,….

4 Nags September 18, 2008 at 1:44 am

that looks lovely! good luck and chin up :)

5 Usha September 18, 2008 at 1:56 am

Awesome Sunita,very good use of the ricotta cheese :)

6 Nirmala September 18, 2008 at 4:04 am

Thats the perfect timing Sunita. I was craving a brownie since 2 weeks but trying to find an occassion for it. And I can’t wait any longer after seeing your fabulous brownies. And excluding eggs and AP flour keeps me more drawned towards it.

7 SMN September 18, 2008 at 6:56 am

they look so divine Sunita.. browine is my all time fav and whenever i go to pizza hut i hv this

8 Priti September 18, 2008 at 10:12 am

Wow..brownies looking delicious…lovely pic..gud one dear

9 Curry Leaf September 18, 2008 at 12:01 pm

Bookmarked,will try it

10 Gattina September 18, 2008 at 12:21 pm

oh these brownies (and your photos) are just eye-popping!
I really appreciate your attitude on seeing the future!

11 Uj September 18, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Brownies look perfect…Awesome… I loved the way you said There has to be light.. All it takes is some confidence, Prayers and positive attitude..Stay Positive.. I am sure there will be light!

12 Aparna September 18, 2008 at 1:32 pm

A really unusual and nice twist on brownies.
There always is light at the end of the tunnel, Sunita. My own experiences have led me to believe that. Except a lot of times we realise it only in retrospect.
Hope things aren’t too bad. Whatever it is, I’m sure everything will turn out right.:)

13 Happy cook September 18, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Brownie looks so moist and delicious.
There is always light in the end of the tunnel.
Till then be brave

14 Sia September 18, 2008 at 2:50 pm

simply gorgeous and this is the 3rd brownie i came across today. looks like somekind of mesg sent from heaven to bake few and indulge ;)

15 Cham September 18, 2008 at 3:39 pm

Very pretty & moist brownies , they re fabulous!

16 ANJALI J. September 18, 2008 at 4:56 pm

looks awesome.. i have all the ingredients except ricotta cheese.. so bad :( .. have to wait for the weekend to run to the grocery to get one..

17 sunita September 18, 2008 at 6:27 pm

divya,
Thanks :-)

ttfn300,
yes, much, much better :-)

rachel,
Thanks :-)

nags,
Thank you so much…needed that pat :-)

usha,
thanks :-)

18 Purnima September 18, 2008 at 6:33 pm

Sunita, best out of anything, is what u dish out…no eggs,flour n whole wheat -dished out a splendid sweet! I will wish that its a bright light for you n family!

19 sunita September 18, 2008 at 6:35 pm

nirmala,
The brownies were rich and moist enough without the eggs and AP flour…do give it a try :-)

smn,
Thanks :-)

priti,
Thanks :-)

curry leaf,
Thanks…do give it a try :-)

gattina,
Thanks…and yes, without those thoughts, where would we be.

20 sunita September 18, 2008 at 6:59 pm

aparna,
Thanks for that…really appreciate it…we are keeping our fingers crossed, amd yes, hoping for that light :-)

happy cook,
Thanks you so much :-)

sia,
You’re so right..I was surprised too at so many of them coming out..definitely a sign :-)

cham,
Thanks :-)

anjali,
Do give it a try…hope you like it as much as we did :-)

purnima,

21 Anonymous September 18, 2008 at 8:52 pm

Sunita,
I didn’t even have to go through the recipe to know this is a great dish. Just the idea of ricotta-pistachio and chocolate together in a dish sounds so appetizing. And your pictures just make it even more delectable.

Best,
Mamatha

22 Meeta September 18, 2008 at 8:54 pm

yes – life throws us a few hard moresels every now and then. but i think it’s these hard times that make us stronger. chin up! with such delicious sweetness you definitely will have a light at the end of the tunnel!

23 Richa September 18, 2008 at 11:23 pm

those will definitely ready u for any challenges :) all the ing are soooo good, sunita. take care!

24 sra September 19, 2008 at 4:54 am

There are brownies all over the blogosphere! These look lovely – have never thought of pista and brownie together.
Here’s wishing you lots of light!

25 kittie September 19, 2008 at 10:30 am

I always like using up my leftovers – but this is a beautifully luxurious way to finish up some ricotta – wow!!

26 bee September 19, 2008 at 7:45 pm

wish you and your family all the best, dear sunita.

27 SriLekha September 19, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Wow! delicious! want to ave brownie soon!
Visit my blog while u find time and join in the chicken event going in my blog!

28 Lisa September 19, 2008 at 11:22 pm

I’m going to go out and buy the ingredients for this recipe. I’m drooling over these. Thanks for this delightful recipe. I have a friend in mind to share these with.

29 sunita September 22, 2008 at 9:14 pm

mamatha,

meeta,
oh yes, life does throw you surprises when you least expect it…looking forward to the light :-)

sra,
Yes, i was surprised too…as to how so many sprung up all together :-) ..as sia mentioned, probably some message from the gods ;-)

kittie,
Thank you…we really enjoyed the brownies :-)

30 sunita September 22, 2008 at 9:17 pm

bee,

srilekha,

lisa,
thank you…do give them a try…hope you and your friend like them as much as we did :-)

richa,
thank you sweetie…btw, hope you’re doing well :-)