A quickie roast…

by Sunita on September 24, 2008

I woke up today, feeling feverish from my last night’s high temperatures, accompanied by a splitting headache. The body was in no mood to drag itself from bed and start the day’s chores …every part ached. But, it was a week day, the children needed to go to school, the hubby had a long line of meetings to attend to and I had to be present at an appointment in the second half of the day. I heaved a very long sigh! The day ahead seemed, oh, so long.

Now, over the last few days, I have come across a couple of very exceptional individuals… individuals who have risen above their circumstances in unthinkable ways. They are all truly remarkable people and I bow to their fight against and rising above all odds. These people have left an indelible impression on me. And, at that moment, in those early hours of the morning, lying in bed, with blocked nostrils and a head that seemed to be ready to split at any moment, the thoughts of all those special people came to my mind, those who have never stopped smiling and up I rose and started the day. What’s a little cold, when so much worse could happen. Everything got done, with the sneezes in between,…and yes, that includes blogging too ;-)

I made this bowl of spicy roasted veggies…

before leaving home in the afternoon, to be had for dinner. A very simple recipe but with great flavours. …the raw and powdered spices and herbs worked their magic.

I carrot, scraped and chopped
2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
1/2 of a medium sized butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic, smashed
2 inches of ginger, smashed
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp roasted and ground cumin
3 tblsp of extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste

1. Pre heat the oven at 200 deg C.
  2. Mix all the ingredients in a roasting pan.

Place the pan in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 45-50 minutes. Toss them a couple of times in between.

3. Serve hot.

The aromas that emanated while baking was a treat to the senses. The vegetables were not overcooked and retained a nice bite. We had ours with some plain rice, dal and a fresh salad. A simple weeknight meal, which was a nice end to the day.

1 Destiny's Vegan Kitchen September 24, 2008 at 10:44 pm

What beautiful photos! Talk about a bowl of Fall!

2 Curry Leaf September 24, 2008 at 11:04 pm

Delicious Sunita,They are great as themselves and for me with a little feta cheese ;D

3 Rachel September 25, 2008 at 1:26 am

Hope you are feeling better now…

The roasted vegetables look delicious….lovely colours

4 Nags September 25, 2008 at 1:49 am

u’ve chopped the veggies so perfectly. and that is indeed quick!

5 Nirmala September 25, 2008 at 3:25 am

Thinking about great people for inspiration when u’re feeling feverish ? Then I shud think about u when u’re down. Great going Sunita! The veggies looks wonderful and I have tried roasting potatoes alone. I can try this sometime!

6 Mishmash ! September 25, 2008 at 4:08 am

hey..take good care…..feed your cold with some hearty soup…..hope u get some rest…hugs :)

7 Meeta September 25, 2008 at 6:10 am

hope you get better soon sunita! sending you all my well wishes and healing power through the net! ;-)

these veggies look oh so good. i love this kind of meal. it’s easy but so fantastically comforting!

8 kittie September 25, 2008 at 9:06 am

I hope you feel better soon Sunita! I had a horrible cold last weekend – I think a big bowl of these veg would have helped loads ;)

I’d make extra and blitz up leftover into soup…

9 SMN September 25, 2008 at 10:38 am

hey Sunita thats a nice side for a dinner realy tempting

10 Priti September 25, 2008 at 11:37 am

Get well soon dear…roasted veggies looks delicious and simple

11 Happy cook September 25, 2008 at 12:08 pm

Nothing better than have something really spicy when you are sick.
Hope you are feeling better.

12 Manggy September 25, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Please do feel better soon! I admire you, too for being just as dedicated even if you should really be in bed! And to top it all off, you managed to make a delicious-looking meal!

13 Richa September 25, 2008 at 12:29 pm

"and blogging too"…..LOL ;)
oh yes, just meeting some cool people inspires one to do much more than one would hv normally done, hope u r doing better now!
parsnip & carrot make a very good match, i too make a subzi by combining them :)

14 Divya September 25, 2008 at 4:06 pm

If it was me, I would have spent the whole day in the bed complaining that the world was turning against me! Ha ha ha.
I am so glad you were motivated enough to cook. Good job.
Get well soon.

15 Anonymous September 25, 2008 at 6:54 pm

The veggies all cut and presented so perfectly..and that too on a weekday when you are sick! Wow!! I love the way you present the food and your serving bowls are so cool!
-K

16 Divya Vikram September 25, 2008 at 6:57 pm

They look too pretty to be eaten!!Hope u get well soon Sunita..

17 Sangeeth September 25, 2008 at 7:19 pm

wow! your first foto is beyong awesome :) lovely roast!

18 bee September 25, 2008 at 7:34 pm

here’s my cure for stuffy anything.

a mug of hot chocolate with a shot of brandy, then a movie with some hot dude in it (like brad pitt, preferably topless), then a margarita. :D

and some of those peanut butter rice crispy squares.

19 Usha September 25, 2008 at 8:15 pm

These look wonderful and what lovely color…hope you get better soon Sunita….

20 Uj September 26, 2008 at 8:27 am

Roasted veggies look really good.. Hope you feel good soon enough..Get well soon

21 Sia September 26, 2008 at 9:35 am

get well soon suni… warm hugs to u:)

22 sunita September 26, 2008 at 12:34 pm

All,

Thank you so much…it was really nice to read your comments…made me feel so much better. Still a way to go to be back to 100 % fit, but life doesn’t stop, does it :-) I wish I could have mentioned the people that i talked about in my post, only, I’m not too sure that they would appreciate being plastered all over my blog. But yes, thanks to them , too…they were such an inspiration… consider it my priviledge to have known them :-)

bee,
you did make me laugh so hard…I sounded really funny in my present nasal intoned voice and a hoarse laugh :-D

All of you are simply great…thank you again for dropping by…just made my day.