I spy… a pie!

by Sunita on September 29, 2008

Hope all of you had great start to the weekend. I found it even cooler today, though the sun is out there in full force.

The following recipe for a fish and vegetable pie is one which we really enjoyed a lot. It is not loaded with butter and the little cheese that I have used can easily be given a miss.

With the vegetables and fish, it does not need lots of accompaniments to make a complete meal. It has a few little steps,none of them daunting at all. It can be made either in individual portions or in one single pan. But, I suggest making the individual portions…makes it easier to eat without too much mess, and it is definitely all the more appealing , visually.

1/2 kg of salmon, cut into small pieces
9-10 medium sized potatoes, quartered, boiled and peeled
1 and 1/2 C peas
1 carrot, finely chopped
1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1+1 tblsp olive oil
3C +1/2 C milk
50 gms of Red Leicester cheese or cheddar cheese
1 and 1/2 tblsp plain flour
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Mash the potatoes with the 1/2 C of milk and 25 gms of cheese. Keep aside.
  2. Heat 1 tblsp of olive oil . Add the onion, peas, carrot, garlic and red pepper, and cook for a minute.
  3. Spread them at the bottom of the pan and arrange the pieces of fish on top with the skin side down. Pour the milk. Add the bay leaf and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.Bring everything to a boil. reduce the heat and simmer for about 2 minutes (the fish would have cooked through by now). Strain the milk in a bowl and save aside, discarding the bay leaf.
  4. Heat the other tblsp of oil and add the flour. Stir constantly for a minute over medium heat and add the strained milk. Use a whisk and whisk continuously to prevent massive lumps. Bring to a boil. When it starts to thicken ( should take a few seconds), remove from heat and pass through a sieve into a bowl. Mix the sauce with rest of the cheese.
  5. Pre heat the oven at 220 deg c and grease 6 ramekins.
  6. Fill the ramekins with the fish ( slightly crumbled) and veggie mixture .Spoon the sauce over this and top with the mashed potatoes.
  7. Bake in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake till it is bubbly and the top browns. Serve hot, though be very careful if serving to little ones, it’s going to very hot , especially under the potatoes.

You must have noticed the orangish hue of my pies…this is due to the Leicester cheese that I used. Cheddar cheese will not give this hue, but will not affect the taste.

This formed a wonderful lunch…wholesome and filling at the same time. We had ours with some fresh salad and some steamed beans.

Am sending this over to dear Ivy for her savoury pie event.

1 Happy cook September 29, 2008 at 11:13 am

So delicius. Pie issomething i have never made.
Love the last pic are you teasing us with that pic; Drool

2 myspicykitchen September 29, 2008 at 12:15 pm

I don’t make pies very often and the only pies I make are the sweet ones, with fruit. Never tried veg and meat/sea food pies.

3 Mallugirl September 29, 2008 at 2:46 pm

smashing picture!!i do make a similar one but not with peas and carrots. will try with that too.

4 Ivy September 29, 2008 at 3:24 pm

Sunita, although I say that in Greece we make anything into pies, I think that I’ve never seen a pie with fish and it’s really great. We should eat more fish and vegetables and yours sounds delicious, not to mention kid friendly as well. Thanks for participating in the event.

5 Divya Vikram September 29, 2008 at 4:19 pm

Delectable!

6 Sangeeth September 29, 2008 at 4:25 pm

ok. Do u offer classes for taking photographs? If so I am flying to UK to learn from u :) wow! u take amazing pics!!!delicious!

7 NC September 29, 2008 at 4:47 pm

looks so delicious!! Will I be called a non-vegetarian if I droll over this fish pie? :D I will have to think how to make it vegetarian. Probably I will just avoid the fish. Lets see…

8 Mona September 29, 2008 at 6:57 pm

Sunita, you are a creative cook! It looks fab!

9 Sophie September 29, 2008 at 8:13 pm

This sounds so heavenly! Plus, I like that it’s not loaded with butter! The ingredients you used sound so fresh and healthy. We would love to feature your recipe on our blog and possibly our digital recipe reader. Please email me at sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you’re interested. Have a great week ahead!

10 Nags September 30, 2008 at 1:48 am

its been ages since i had fish. btw, nice autumn header :)

11 Srivalli September 30, 2008 at 4:07 pm

thats so wonderful sunita…beautiful pictures..and very lovely header!

12 Sia September 30, 2008 at 5:26 pm

love the new header suni… perfect one for fall :)

13 Sukanya Ramkumar October 1, 2008 at 5:53 pm

WOW… This is a wonderful presentation. Nice picture. This recipe really rocks. YUM!

14 sunita October 1, 2008 at 9:30 pm

happy cook,
Thanks…give it a try :-)

myspicykitchen,
Savoury pies are in aclass of their own…do give it a try…I’m sure you won’t regret it :-)

mallugirl,
Thanks…I just need my dose of veggies everywhere…and adding them makes the dish more wholesome :-)

Ivy,
Thanks…maybe you could try this kind of pie too…and yes, it is very kid friendly :-)

divya,
Thanks :-)

15 sunita October 1, 2008 at 9:34 pm

sangeeth,
Thanks…and I am just a self taught photographer :-)

nc,
Thank you…and no, don’t worry, your vegetarianism is safe ;-) You can omit the fish and increase the amount of vegetables.Broccolis and cauliflowers would also go well with this combination.

mona,
Thanks.

sophie,
Thanks for youe interest…i will give it a thought.

nags,
Thanks…btw the piture in the header was clicked last year while wandering around.

16 sunita October 1, 2008 at 9:36 pm

srivalli,

sia,
Thanks sweetie…how’s autumn in your neck of the woods?

sukanya,
Thanks :-)

17 Priya October 3, 2008 at 11:15 pm

just what a cold night like today needs!
Sorry for the string of comments today :P , I read your posts in the office but don’t get to see the photos, waited untill I had a look at them to comment :)

18 sunita October 5, 2008 at 2:32 pm

priya,
Thanks, and please do not apologise…it’s always nice to get some feedback :-)