Double toned…

by Sunita on October 6, 2008

Hope all of you had a great start to the week. Saturday was a very busy day for us… all the activities seem to seem to be happening on that very day, and we were literally hopping from one place to the other ; we were really glad when we got home.

Yesterday, however was a different story altogether… a totally laid back one. It was a very wet day, but , huddled indoors, we enjoyed each other’s company as well as an elaborate lunch. It is nice to cook like that…without any pressures of time, no deadlines to meet, and having loved ones around you. Hmm, can you sense the Monday morning blues ;-)

But seriously, the recipe for today is something that I’m really excited about….pistachio and chocolate pinwheel cookies.

These were very good, yes, the kind of end product that makes the baker in me jump with joy. Not loaded with butter and sugar, but mildly sweet and wonderfully crumbly…an absolute melt in the mouth. As you can see from the lavish praises that I have bestowed on them, we¬† really enjoyed these cookies. And this is how I made them.

1/2 C pistachios
1 c plain flour
3/4 c oat flakes
1/4 tblsp of bicarbonate of soda
1 egg
1/2 C sunflower oil
5 tblsp of honey
a few drops of vanilla essence
2 and 1/2 tblsp of unsweetened cocoa powder

1. Grind together the pistachios, flour and oat flakes to the consistency of fine semolina. Add the soda and mix well. Keep aside in a bowl.
  2. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, honey and vanilla.
  3. Make a well in the centre of the nut meal and tip in the egg mixture. Bring everything together and divide into two portions.
  4. Mix in the cocoa powder to one of the portions and wrap both the portions in plastic wrap. Chill for about 1/2 an hour.
  5. Place a portion of the dough on a rolling board, covered with plastic wrap. Pat it out to a rectangle of about 2-3 mms in thickness. Gently, roll a rolling pin over it to smooth the top. Repeat the same with the other portion ( keeping it on another bit of plastic wrap), keeping the size same as the other. Gently lift up the cocoa portion with the plastic wrap underneath and turn it over on the other. Peel away the plastic wrap which will be on the top now.
  6. From the longer end, start to make a roll, using the plastic wrap below the plain portion to help.

Wrap in plastic wrap and chill again for another 1/2 hour.

7. Pre heat the oven at 190 deg c and line a baking tray with foil.
  8. Slice the roll into about 1 cm thickness for each. Lay them flat with the cut side up and arrange on the prepared tray, a little apart from each other.
  9. Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes or till the edges start to brown slightly. cool in the tray for about 2 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely before storing in air tight containers.

They are, in fact, quite easy to assemble. And when you bite into them, everything will be worthwhile. And they look pretty too. So, what more can you ask from a humble cookie. They do not last very long though :-D

Enjoy!

1 ttfn300 October 6, 2008 at 1:13 pm

omg, i want to jump up and make these! oat flakes? like quick oats or oat flour?

2 sunita October 6, 2008 at 1:28 pm

ttfn300,
like quick oats…do give them a try :-)

3 Nirmala October 6, 2008 at 1:42 pm

hmmm looks very inviting dear. U know what once I tried these pin wheel kind cookies but the filling had ground nuts mixed with cocoa and sugar. Inspite of all refrigeration (u know the power-cuts here) when I rolled them up together they all turned to be crubmly and a single mass. In a rage of fury I mixed everything together, made them into small balls and baked them. U know they turned to be so nice. But I envy u’re dough working skills Sunita :)

4 Happy cook October 6, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Wow they are just delicious.
I am sure there is nothing left anymore in your place , not even a crumb.

5 DEESHA October 6, 2008 at 6:15 pm

you always leave me spellbound with those amazing pics .. the reason i visit your blog is more for the pics than the actual recipes .. :)

6 Ben October 6, 2008 at 6:49 pm

That is one beautiful bread and I bet it tasted delicious.

7 Deborah October 6, 2008 at 8:02 pm

I love cookies like this that just make you happy. They are beautiful!

8 Usha October 6, 2008 at 8:11 pm

These look beautiful,I am sure they tasted awesome too :)

9 An Indian's makeup musings October 6, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Beautiful ! And no sugar too !!!

10 sunita October 6, 2008 at 8:29 pm

nirmala,
of course, your cookies must have tasted delicious anyway, with all the right ingredients.This cookie dough is also not easy to roll… hence I patted it out and just used the rolling pin to slightly smooth the top :-)

happy cook,
You’re absolutely right…nothing left at all :-)

deesha,
Glad you like the pictures :-)

11 sunita October 6, 2008 at 8:32 pm

ben,
erm, you mean cookies, right ;-) …and yes, they did taste great :-)

deborah,
Thanks…yes, they did make me very happy indeed :-)

usha,
Thanks…we did love them indeed :-)

An Indian’s makeup musings,
Thanks…you won’t miss the sugar at all :-)

12 Divya Vikram October 6, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Can I pick one please!

13 Curry Leaf October 6, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Love it Sunita,amazing pics as always

14 mimi October 7, 2008 at 2:07 am

oh my, this looks absolutely delish! i have some pistachios that need using up, and this is a perfect recipe for them! definitely going to make this soon!

15 Nags October 7, 2008 at 2:24 am

love the fact that there is no butter or sugar in this :) lovely!

16 Cynthia October 7, 2008 at 3:55 am

Ah! it is easy to see why you are excited, this is fantastic. You are so darn creative :)

17 arundati October 7, 2008 at 4:05 am

wow!! i am partial to pinwheel cookies…they’re just too pretty for their own good…theses are terrific….and no sugar!!

18 Anh October 7, 2008 at 10:43 am

I am making this really soon Sunita! It looks awesome!

19 Sia October 7, 2008 at 10:57 am

they look fantastic suni. u know, other day i tried to make pin wheel cookies but they ended up looking like flat wheels ;)

20 Purnima October 7, 2008 at 12:52 pm

Sunita, these cookies look fabulous! tks for sharing the technique as well!!

21 Anonymous October 7, 2008 at 1:19 pm

makes me drool.I tried the pinwheel before it sort of crumbled.Your receipe looks easier.I wonder if i can skip egg.please let me know.

aarti

22 Mansi October 7, 2008 at 6:31 pm

these look absolutely divine Sunita! and pistachio and choc are my favorite pir! I’m so gonna try these, and very soon!!

looks like u had a nice start to the week!:)

23 Roo October 17, 2008 at 9:19 pm

nice recipe.. wanna try this out.. and cool blog too…. roo

24 Anonymous October 27, 2008 at 4:22 am

what do i use in place of eggs? thanks

25 anudivya December 2, 2008 at 7:56 pm

Seriously! Are you kidding me!… No butter? I am so bookmarking this. Love IT!

No kidding at all! Do give it a try :-)

26 Latha December 16, 2008 at 2:42 pm

I made these cookies y’day for a christmas give-away. It’s really a welcome break amidst all the buttery,sugary cookies this time of the year. It was a bit tricky to handle the dough, esp placing the coco over the pista dough, but i must admit i didn’t have the heart to put those lovely green-brown pin wheels in the oven.. they were so pretty as it is! I got the perfect texture, subtle hint of honey… i’ll make them again for sure. I must thank you very much for the picture without which i’d have been a bit discouraged:)

Latha, I am so glad you tried the cookies and met with success…yes, the dough is bit tricky to handle, but the end is really worth it :-)

27 sarah December 23, 2008 at 9:08 pm

hey sunitha… i raided ur blog n read each n every post til i cud barely keep my eyes open… all of ur cookies r so diff n innovative…. n adaptable.. love em all…. ve jus one question can i bake a batch of these amazin preety pinwheel cookies n take some out each time i ve some unexpected guests???? i ve been on a lookout for some heat n serve cookies that i can make in advance n keep in my freezer……

p.s :ve u ever tried making tiny lil french macarons???

28 peabody December 25, 2008 at 1:20 am

These look fantastic…and chocolate and pistachio…yum!

Thanks P :-)