A colourful dinner…

by Sunita on October 22, 2008

The weather is cooling down and today, it was really cold. Not as in ‘cool’ cold, but really ‘cold’ cold…whatever that means… you get the drift. But the sun shone bravely, and it was not too bad.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, something new has cropped up in my world and is demanding quite a large chunk of my time. No, it has got absolutely nothing to do with food, but more with people. The day’s experiences after dealing with people from different walks of life, leaves me knackered, more mentally than physically. The people I come into contact with are from all walks of life with their own set of problems. And listening to them is like a journey into the variety that surrounds human life. It’s been just a few days, but I have already started to question myself about the assumptions that we garner towards people, either by their looks, the way they dress, the way they talk and carry themselves etc. Scrape the surface, and those very individuals turn out to be so different;apearances are deceptive indeed. It is quite a humbling experience and makes me count my blessings…touchwood.

But, involved in other directions does not mean that that I have neglected the kitchen…whatever you do, you’ve still got to eat, right? The meals may not be very elaborate, but we are still managing to get in all those vital food groups.

The following stuffed bell peppers were a part of one such, adding a colourful, quick and nice variety to our weekday dinner.

5 bell peppers of mixed colours, halved and the insides scooped
2 tblsp of extra virgin olive oil

For the stuffing-

1/2 C couscous
2 C finely chopped vegetables(I used broccoli, cauliflower and carrots)
1/2 C of finely chopped red onions
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1C of hot stock
a bunch of chopped coriander
1tblsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder(more or less)
100 gms of feta cheese, crumbled
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Pre heat the oven at 200 deg C.
  2. Arrange the halved peppers, cut side up, on a roasting dish and rub in the oil , both inside and outside the peppers.Place the dish in the centre of the pre-heated oven and bake for about 15 minutes or till the peppers soften slightly (do not let them wilt).
  3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix together the couscous, vegetables, onions and garlic. Pour the hot stock over the mixture, cover and let it rest for about 15 to 20 minutes or till all the liquid has been absorbed.
  4. Fluff the couscous mixture with a fork and mix in the cumin and chilli powders along with the coriander and half of the feta cheese. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
  5. Fill the baked pepper halves with the couscous mixture and top with the rest of the cheese.
  6. Return the dish to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes or till the top is nicely browned.
  7. Serve hot with some fresh salad on the side.

The bell peppers retained their juiciness and the filling complemented it perfectly. We had ours with some of these potatoes, steamed peas and some fresh salad for a filling dinner. Both Rengoni and Agastya absolutely loved the colours on their plate as well as counting how many vegetables there were.

1 Pearlsofeast October 23, 2008 at 12:15 am

Nice recipe and very colorful indeed.Love the stuffing.

2 Happy cook October 23, 2008 at 7:37 am

Yeah beautiful and colourful. And delicious too

3 MeetaK October 23, 2008 at 10:11 am

This seriously is a yummy meal! I agree – meeting people from all walks of life is enriching to one’s own character. Having the opportunity of traveling around the world and living in several countries I have met so many people that has molded me into what I am and think today.
Love the colorful bell peppers!

4 SMN October 23, 2008 at 10:26 am

I agree with you that meeting people add to our one advantage.. the dinner looks so tempting and yummy..

5 Sia October 23, 2008 at 12:39 pm

yummooo… ur pics r lovely as usual suni but they r bit grainy today.
and regarding meeting diiferent set of ppl, well in my job it plays a key role and everyday is a learning curve. tc girl :)

6 JZ @ Tasty treats October 23, 2008 at 3:31 pm

it sure is a colorful meal!! it sure looks delicious…i’ve never had a stuffed pepper before, wish i cud try some of urs :-)

7 Swati October 23, 2008 at 4:33 pm

Hi Sunita..I read about you in Telegraph.. It was a nice
read..
The stuffing is yummy and really colorful..

Happy Diwali dear…

8 Ivy October 23, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Lovely, colourful and healthy recipe. BTW, congrats, I read about you as well from PG’s site.

9 Grace October 23, 2008 at 5:41 pm

wowza, that is colorful! before devouring things like this, i like to take a few seconds to just stare at them and appreciate their beauty. a few seconds is all i can stand. :)

10 karuna October 23, 2008 at 9:32 pm

tht is indeed colourfull. nice recipe too.

11 Usha October 23, 2008 at 9:34 pm

This is so colorful and beautiful:)

12 sunita October 24, 2008 at 9:34 am

pearlsofeast,

happy cook,
Thanks…tyhen kids loved the colours :-)

meeta,
Yes, meeting people is really enriching :-)

smn,
Thanks…yes, I am enjoying every bit of it :-)

13 sunita October 24, 2008 at 9:38 am

sia,
Yes, the pictures suck, don’t they, with all those grains…looks more like a canvas ;-)

jz,
Hello! Nice to see you here again..as for the peppers, now you have a recipe,so try it :-)

swati,
Thanks…and happy diwali to you and yours too :-)

Ivy,

14 Srivalli October 24, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Now sunita..you got to let me know your address..I am inviting myself!..so beautiful!

15 Curry Leaf October 27, 2008 at 9:05 pm

I know it is a warm dish.Yummo

16 jasmine August 6, 2012 at 4:52 pm

hi sunita, just chanced upon your blog today. nice recipes. will try a few later.
what exactly is a couscous n what is it called in india. some sites say its dalia whereas some say its semolina. thnx