Goats cheese and sundried tomato mini muffins

by Sunita on February 2, 2010

Baking- I love it so much. Whisking, folding, mixing, kneading, and then putting the tray, pan, dish into the oven, pressing my nose ( ouch! that’s hot!) against the see through door of the oven, taking in the aromas wafting through it, waiting with bated breath for the mixture to rise, spread, turn golden/brown, crisp; yes, I love baking.

When did it all start though? This interest, this love, this high that baking brings? Was it when I was watching my ma bake our birthday cakes year after year in that primitive contraption that we called an ‘oven’? Was it all those times when I would play the part of sous chef to ma- sifting the dry ingredients, lining baking pans? I remember my first book on baking that ma bought for me when I was about fifteen, seeing my growing interest. Sadly, the book was misplaced during our transfers a few years ago, but I remember going through the pages, delighting in all those new recipes. Was it then, that made my interest grow into a passion; leafing through the pages, waiting for the weekend to come so that I could try out another new recipe? And deuta (father), trying his best to relish the slightly burnt cake as if it was the best one ever- those memories do make me smile.

A good many years have passed since those days of a gangly teenager, many birthdays, anniversaries, celebrations have gone by. But the love? Oh yes, it’s there alright. I still get the same thrill that I got all those years ago. Of course, the horizons have broadened,and I think, now, I am capable of baking a decent cake, or maybe cookies, or maybe bread, or maybe, a savory/sweet pie,and not only baking them, but also experimenting with ingredients and sharing the recipes with the world. Yes, I’ve come a long way since the day ma handed me that book all those years ago.

Today’s recipe is also a bake.  A very simple bake, but which is very popular in our household, and they could be yours too, if you carry on reading. I made some mini savoury muffins with goats cheese and sundried tomatoes. These are a breeze to make, are ready in minutes and are little bursts of flavour. But, be warned, these mini muffins are quite addictive. The fact that more than thirty of them disappeared within a few hours, is proof of the fact. Here’s how I made them-

3/4 C whole wheat flour (atta)
3 heaped tsps of sundried tomato paste
50 gms of goats cheese
2 tsp olive oil
1/3 tsp crushed red chillies
2/3 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
a pinch of bicarbonate of soda
1 C of milk
a handful of poppy seeds for sprinkling on the top

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and grease a mini muffin tray.
  2. Except the milk and poppy seeds, add all the other ingredients in a bowl and rub them with the fingertips till they resemble fine crumbs.
  3. Tip in the milk, and fold in, till everything is just moistened.
  4. Fill the mini muffin moulds, nearly to the top ( I got about 32 mini muffins), with the mixture and sprinkle the poppy seeds on top.
  5. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 12-13 minutes or till the top is golden.
  6. Let the muffins cool in the tray for a minute, and then transfer to a rack, by unmoulding them with the help of the back of a spoon. Cool completely before storing in air tight containers.

These muffins taste best when served warm and fresh out of the oven. If you do need to hold them back for later, warm them a little in the microwave before serving.

The sundried tomatoes add their flavour and a lovely hue, the chillies add a slight heat and the poppy seeds on top add a crackle. These muffins can be had as a snack ( great for kids as a healthy snack), with various dips, with soup ( like us), or just on their own. They are great fun. So, what are you waiting for? Go and mix up a batch right now, you won’t be able to keep your hands off them.

1 DK February 3, 2010 at 4:59 am

what? they all are over? what about me :(

2 Sunita February 3, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Sorry sweetheart, all gone now; will the virtual one’s do any good? Just tryin; ;-)

3 Sonia February 3, 2010 at 7:22 am

Such a lovely cuties!! :)

4 Sunita February 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm

5 Rosa February 3, 2010 at 8:32 am

Great muffins! Perfect for a party!

6 Sunita February 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm

They sure are; thanks Rosa :-)

7 Sarah, Maison Cupcake February 3, 2010 at 9:24 am

I love a savoury muffin, these would be great in Ted’s lunchbox.

8 Sunita February 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I’m sure they would; my children adored them :-)

9 Lubna Karim February 3, 2010 at 9:50 am

Wow…gorgeous and yum looking muffins……

10 Sunita February 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Thanks :-)

11 Nic February 3, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Oooh, I love that last photo – very wonderful looking muffins Sunita!

12 Sunita February 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Thanks Nic, we did love them a lot :-)

13 Alka February 3, 2010 at 3:16 pm

yummy muffins sunita! perfect breakfast.. not sweet, and it is cheesy with a nice bite to it! mmm..

14 Sunita February 3, 2010 at 10:17 pm

You’ve summed them well, Alka :-)

15 diva February 3, 2010 at 3:21 pm

GORGEOUS! i love anything seeded, especially with poppy seeds. Beautiful way of using them. I wish i could try these muffins Sunita. They’re making me drool everywhere. x

16 Sunita February 3, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Thanks sweetie, I love seeds too!I’ll make them when you come visiting ;-)

17 Milli February 3, 2010 at 8:30 pm

You have a beautiful website with such drool worthy pictures!

Keep up the great work Sunita!

18 Sunita February 3, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Thanks Milli, glad you like my humble space :-)

19 Rathnam February 3, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Looks mouthwatering. Is there any alternative for got cheese?.

20 Sunita February 5, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Thanks Rathnam, you could [probably try some cream cheese, though the taste and texture may differ a little.

21 Nina February 4, 2010 at 3:29 am

I love savory muffins….great pics as always Sunita.Your pics make the food all the more interesting.You rock:)

22 Rupa February 4, 2010 at 5:09 am

yum… and you have done it again ! These look perfect …… ! I wish I could bake like you hehe

23 Memoria February 4, 2010 at 6:06 am

What lovely photos and a great story. I know when I started baking – at the end of 2008 haha. Very recent.

24 Su-yin February 4, 2010 at 10:38 am

I find an excuse to put poppy seeds on nearly everything I bake – so it’s no surprise I love the look of these! I really like how you use wholewheat flour and chillis in these, definitely something I’m going to make. And no butter! Delicious AND healthy.

I remember the first time I baked… I was about 10 and got inspired by one of my children’s workbooks (haha, I know how funny). Made cookies (declined help from mum as I thought instructions sounded pretty easy), forgot the butter, and cookies came out like little round rocks. Lol. :P

25 deeba February 4, 2010 at 2:25 pm

NICE… very very nice Sunita. I love these. Now if you could only send me some goat cheese, I’d bake them in the next 30 minutes! YUM!!

26 The Cooking Ninja February 4, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Hub would love your muffin and so probably would poppet but I can’t stand the smell of goat cheese. I would love to make this for him except that I would need to stop breathing until it is done and eaten. LOL! Beautiful muffins though :)

27 Champa February 4, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Sunita, You are one of the people who have inspired me with your work on the blog. I was passed on an award which I should pass on to 10 more bloggers. You are one of them. Please accept.

28 Mowie @ Mowielicious February 4, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Oh those look lovely! I love all things poppyseed =)

29 Lakshmi February 4, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I always keep scrolling down the page to see the pic of how it looks inside..be it muffin, bread, cake etc. coz I believe it says everything about the outcome.
muffins look yum! bookmarked,

30 Barbara Bakes February 5, 2010 at 12:13 am

Your description of the joy of watching your creation in the oven made me smile. I could definitely relate. Your muffins would disappear at my house too!

31 Kajal - Aapplemint February 5, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Beautiful blog you have here Sunita … love the mini muffins. Goats cheese and sundried tomatoes would taste so lovely together !

32 Cherine February 5, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Love your muffins and the photos!! I feel like having a bite :)
This is the first time I go through your blog and I am lovin’ it :)

33 Sarka February 8, 2010 at 1:37 am

Yummy yummy, this is a wonderful idea. I’ve never made savoury muffins. P. would love them with a goat cheese! This is a must-try recipe. I’ll give it a go very soon! Thank you Sunita for an inspiration. I love them!!!! :)

34 Yamini February 8, 2010 at 3:03 am

Hi Sunitha,
The muffins look so delish! :) and the spicy part makes them sound like a perfect complement for tea!! :)
got a couple of qns: if we dont get goat’s cheese, can feta or any cheese be subsituted for this instead? also, poppy seeds are not available in many stores where i live (something about them being banned!) – any suggestions on what would be a good alternative topping?
have a great week ahead!

35 Sunita February 8, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Thanks Yamini, feta cheese should be fine. As for the topping, you could use other seeds like sunflower, sesame or even chopped nuts. Hope this helps.

36 Miri February 8, 2010 at 8:15 am

Those are some beautiful muffins – and i know from experience that it isnt that easy to get muffins right!

37 Jeanne @ Cooksister! February 12, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Oh, I’m a HUGE fan of muffins, especially savoury ones! In fact, they are the only thing I bake with any reguarity! I make a peppadew and parmesan savoury muffin that would, I’m sure, be best friends with these little beauties :)

38 Sunita February 12, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Savoury muffins are quite popular in our household. I have a jar of peppadews sitting for a while and am loving the sound of the peppadew-parmesan combo :-)